Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2014

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: I Want To Clarify Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson796 View Post
It concerns us greatly how people see us. We just want to be left alone and allowed to raise our children and live our lives the way we see fit without interference from "do-gooders".

That whole situation in Maryland started because a "do-gooder" saw a child on deck bundled up in a blanket. It didn't start because someone saw the condition of the boat.

Things can snowball in a hurry when you aren't rich and can't defend yourself against people who are nosy and start making telephone calls.
MD is the epitome of "nanny states". The gov't there, as well as many of their citizens, feel the need to "get involved" in every aspect of a life.

The rub comes in, where your life style is not one that is socially acceptable by that state's regs and rules. They will not hesitate to get involved and since they own the water right up to my water line in VA - they are able to actually dictate what two states do on the water.

As the do-gooders do more, and make their case - the more you will see interference in those life styles that are not socially acceptable. Yours would not be overly popular in MD. They want conformists, who question nothing, do what the gov't and their minions dictate.

I no longer live there, for these reasons and many more, but my family struggles with the constant intrusion of the state in to their right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

seems in usa one is negligent if one has children and no job... my son went thru having his daughter stolen from him by his derelict dad spouse abusing father....and CPSSTOOD WITH THe derelict dad spouse abusing JERK WHO PUSHED MY SON OUT OF A VEHICLE IN FRONT OF A HOMELESS SHELTER AND STOLE HIS DAUGHTER.
ok....i have worked in hospitals and respect social services. HOWEVER there is a LOT wrong with cps. i have found they will in the name of family unity, leave abused kids with the abusers. yet when .....gggrrrr..is not sensible and will never make any sense.
yes .
folks without money in usa are disrespected in and from many aspects of their lifestyles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-21-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
MD is the epitome of "nanny states". The gov't there, as well as many of their citizens, feel the need to "get involved" in every aspect of a life.

The rub comes in, where your life style is not one that is socially acceptable by that state's regs and rules. They will not hesitate to get involved and since they own the water right up to my water line in VA - they are able to actually dictate what two states do on the water.

As the do-gooders do more, and make their case - the more you will see interference in those life styles that are not socially acceptable. Yours would not be overly popular in MD. They want conformists, who question nothing, do what the gov't and their minions dictate.

I no longer live there, for these reasons and many more, but my family struggles with the constant intrusion of the state in to their right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
I agree! That's why doing anything other than waking up, going to work, and dying before you can collect retirement is considered a threat and "they" want to stop that.

This is my concern. We are living outside the norm.
Old 02-21-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post

I have a brother who has a cabin in Alaska. A large percentage of homes out of the cities in Alaska don't have bathrooms and still use outhouses. Many don't have piped in water and use cisterns. Many are off the electrical grid and have to make their own electricity. They are all self-sufficient people to the max.

That and a lot of other things that they do there, would make the average Marylander go catatonic (I lived for five years in Maryland).

He told me a good story from the other day. He had someone up from the states helping him on a construction project who became upset when he saw the 12 gauge shotgun mounted in a rack behind a bulldozer (for bears). Especially when he found it was loaded and wasn't even locked. He was even more surprised to find it had been like that for five years and that none of the people who lived there and saw it were upset.

Imagine the grief if you did something like that in Maryland. You would never get out of jail,except to be sued by someone.
kd3pc, zeehag and AlaskaMC like this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 02-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
seems in usa one is negligent if one has children and no job... my son went thru having his daughter stolen from him by his derelict dad spouse abusing father....and CPSSTOOD WITH THe derelict dad spouse abusing JERK WHO PUSHED MY SON OUT OF A VEHICLE IN FRONT OF A HOMELESS SHELTER AND STOLE HIS DAUGHTER.
ok....i have worked in hospitals and respect social services. HOWEVER there is a LOT wrong with cps. i have found they will in the name of family unity, leave abused kids with the abusers. yet when .....gggrrrr..is not sensible and will never make any sense.
yes .
folks without money in usa are disrespected in and from many aspects of their lifestyles.
CPS is responsible for the death of a lot of children in the US. Foster children are killed by foster parents on a regular basis here. The "steal kids and adopt them out" racket is big business in America.
zeehag likes this.
Old 02-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I have a brother who has a cabin in Alaska. A large percentage of homes out of the cities in Alaska don't have bathrooms and still use outhouses. Many don't have piped in water and use cisterns. Many are off the electrical grid and have to make their own electricity. They are all self-sufficient people to the max.

That and a lot of other things that they do there, would make the average Marylander go catatonic (I lived for five years in Maryland).

He told me a good story from the other day. He had someone up from the states helping him on a construction project who became upset when he saw the 12 gauge shotgun mounted in a rack behind a bulldozer (for bears). Especially when he found it was loaded and wasn't even locked. He was even more surprised to find it had been like that for five years and that none of the people who lived there and saw it were upset.

Imagine the grief if you did something like that in Maryland. You would never get out of jail,except to be sued by someone.
We are living high on the hog in this boat compared to the way the settlers lived. But as the "standard of living" goes up, so does the expectation of how people should live and are expected to live.

All of a sudden, what was good for Grandpa when he was a child is no longer good enough for your children. Give them a laptop and an Ipod or they'll call CPS on you.
Old 02-21-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Okay, here's soem more info:
Parents charged after children found in dirty, unheated sailboat - baltimoresun.com

According to court records, officials found the adults, two children and two dogs living in a 10-foot by 9-foot area with two small makeshift mattresses. There was no running water, heat or electricity in the boat, and family members were urinating into plastic bottles, said Candus Thomson, a Natural Resources Police spokeswoman.
The boys, believed to be 13 and 14 years old, said they had not been to school since last year, Thomson said. One boy had no socks and shoes several sizes too large.
The children and the dogs went with Anne Arundel County's Child Protective Services and eventually were sent to live with a relative in Florida. A 22-year-old man, believed to be the son of at least one of the Kellys, was not charged and is believed to be headed to Florida also, Thomson said.
The Kellys first came to the attention of authorities on Jan. 28, when they called the Coast Guard for help from their sailboat that was iced in near Poplar Island in the Chesapeake Bay, Thomson said. The Coast Guard noted conditions on the boat when they rescued the family and took them to shore to meet a relative.
Then on Feb. 9, Natural Resources Police got a call from someone concerned about a family living aboard a sailboat in Cypress Creek, Thomson said. Police visited to the sailboat, but they declined assistance.
Natural Resources Police returned to the boat on Feb. 12 to warn the family of an impending snowstorm, Thomson said. Police learned that the Kellys were the same family rescued by the Coast Guard weeks earlier, and made a plan to return to the boat two days later with the Coast Guard and Child Protective Services.

Look at the timeline.
Look at the conditions.
Anybody still feel that a) CPS swooped in unnecessarily wiht no warning and b) the parents were actually doing their damn job as parents?

Holy crap, they had almost two weeks from first contact to clean up their act, solve the problem, get the kids fed warm and happy...
and they didn't do it.

Don't even try to defend their "right to parent." You don't have to be rich be responsible. You just have to care about your kids more than yourself.
They apparently didn't.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Old 02-21-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Just before the peanut gallery slags me off for saying un-American things, i can tell you its just as stupid in many other countries.
I had to laugh about the "no running water", "no heating" stuff. How the Aboriginals survived I'm stuffed if I know! How my grandparents survived is equally miraculous! Even my dad would come home and turn off all the heaters and tell us kids to put warmer clothes on and tell mum to go keep warm in the kitchen.
When I was a real little kid we had a bath once per week wether we needed it or not, and I dont think my friends had more. If it was good enough for us in the 1960's its good enough for the new generation.

By todays weirdo standards I would be in some foster home and my parents jailed.
Old 02-21-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

and look at how well-adjusted you turned out.
miatapaul, MarkofSeaLife and jimgo like this.

Last edited by bljones; 02-21-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Just before the peanut gallery slags me off for saying un-American things, i can tell you its just as stupid in many other countries.
I had to laugh about the "no running water", "no heating" stuff. How the Aboriginals survived I'm stuffed if I know! How my grandparents survived is equally miraculous! Even my dad would come home and turn off all the heaters and tell us kids to put warmer clothes on and tell mum to go keep warm in the kitchen.
When I was a real little kid we had a bath once per week wether we needed it or not, and I dont think my friends had more. If it was good enough for us in the 1960's its good enough for the new generation.

By todays weirdo standards I would be in some foster home and my parents jailed.
LOL, I used to have to take a bath every Saturday night so I would be clean for church. But, as a child, I rarely remember taking baths more frequently than that.

It wasn't until high school that I started showering everyday.