Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: I Want To Clarify Some Things

I just found this discussion. (I wish I hadn't)

P796 has basically brought his baggage from his RV days into this forum.

He automatically assumes that because people questioned his choices and lifestyle in the past, that he will encounter the same resistance here.
He admits to being sensitive about any question or criticism about his lifestyle.

As such, he has repeatedly tried to tie criticism of the homeless family in Maryland, to himself where no such criticism exists.

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread:

Dude, no one cares about what you're doing. No one thinks you're neglecting or abusing your children. Keep calm, and carry on.

The more shrilly you protest, the more you scream that you're "not like those other people", the more people will begin to question whether you might be.

You didn't need to start this thread to justify your life to the internet, or the online sailing community. Attention whoring is not exactly "keeping off the radar". Just live your life quietly, and keep your private life, "private".

Oh, that crack about mold is BS. Even if you can't dehumidify the boat, at least keep a bottle of mild bleach solution or Formula 409 on hand, and wipe the cabin interior down every few days with a green scrubbie/sponge combo.

I lived on my Pearson 30, cooked and did all the things that generate moisture in the boat. I do not own a dehumidifier, and there was no mold anywhere in my cabin.

A good friend of mine also lives aboard her own Pearson 30 with her dog, no dehumidifier, and her boat is mold-free also.

Again, the Maryland family in the other thread, drew attention to themselves, because they were immobile, incapable of caring for themselves, their children did not own properly fitting clothes, and had zero method of heating their living space. Their children had not received education OF ANY KIND for about a year.

Your domicile has heat, you have food and water, your children are educated, clean, properly clothed, and happy.

There is no comparison here, and no one is making one. Stop dragging your personal life onto the forum for all to see. No one cares about that. We want to talk about, and help you with SAILING.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Pearson, being sensitive (as I believe you called it above) to what others think of you is a self inflicted wound. Easy to prevent.

Further, if you check the demographics, roughly 50% of Americans have essentially no net financial worth. If you own your boat, you're probably better off than most people in general, maybe not most boaters.

Your moral responsibility is to protect, feed and shelter your kids. You are required to provide an education by law. None of the above have very specific standards and the ones you described would not make me believe you would be subject to enforcement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-01-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Whiskey tango foxtrot
We had a family here living on a boat - barely a boat - in the coldest winter we have had in something like 30 years or 100 years, depending on who is checking the records. They had no heat, no decent clothes, no safe way off the boat, and apparently the boat was a floating sh@thouse. And this was...wait for it...their SECOND attempt at "cruising". Attempt one ended with their boat trapped in ice with no rudder

Maryland was NOT being a nanny state. They quite rightly got children out of a very dangerous and unsanitary situation. Good for them!

For the OP - what is going on with mold in your boat and toilet paper in a bag??? I have spend a lot of time on some minimal boats and we NEVER had either issue. If you see mold, clean it! I do a stem-to-stern bleach in a spray bottle cleaning every year and spot clean whenever there is a hint of mold. I am not sure if I even want to know about the TP collection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-01-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
not sure if I even want to know about the TP collection.
How to use a marine head - YouTube

Maybe this can help explain it to you so I don't have to. This thread is over. I'm done with it.

BTW, I've read several recommendations that you should never put anything you didn't eat first down a marine toilet... Obviously you've never heard this one so I thought I would post this so you would look stupid in the future.
Old 04-01-2014

I have been using marine heads since 1969. You?

Old 04-01-2014

bobgerman is on a distinguished road

There are people out there whose opinions cover far more surface area than their life experience, and who, for reasons good or not so good, have racked up some prejudices.

Here's the thing -- if they don't apply to you, don't take them personally. If they're judging you from a distance, it can't hurt too much. It's really easy to judge from a distance. It's equally easy to shrug it off if you know better.

Of course, if you find yourself defending your lifestyle choices with social services agencies because Mr. Judgement felt the need to rat you out, that's not quite so easy to shrug off.

Eventually we all strike a balance in life. Or we haul off and kill someone.
Old 04-01-2014

Is someone threatening to call social services on this guy?
Considering the number of families on a variety of boats ranging from pretty basic on up that live aboard in the Annapolis area either permanently or passing through and attract ZERO negative attention, I can't imagine* what you would have to do to be so worried about The Man coming after you.

* well besides for our intrepid recreators of Earnest Shackelton's adventures that started the whole thread

Last edited by Coquina; 04-01-2014 at 08:48 PM.