Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Cruisingdad
  • 2 Post By SVAuspicious

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Sailing With Kids Webinar

Hi Everyone,

SSCA has asked me to put together a webinar on sailing and cruising with children. I have the rough draft put together, but am reaching out to inform others of it and see what topics they might want me to discuss.

Frankly, there is no way we are going to cover everything in an hour or so, as I shared with Dave, but I at least want to give a good overview and the things that have worked for us (and things that have not). I also want to make sure I have covered the key questions that others feel are important.

The areas which we will discuss are:
  • Safety at sea (If BoatUS will allow it, as I am doing an article on this. I do not think it will be a problem).
  • Keeping the kids entertained (If BOATUS will allow it, as I am completing an article on this. I do not think it will be a problem.)
  • Education Aboard (this one will be long)
  • What the life is like including positives ad negatives
  • Sea Sickness (if BOATUS will allow it as I have been contracted for an article on this. I do not think it will be a problem).
  • Boat considerations.
  • Social Realities, both positive and negatives.

I could almost spend an hour on any one of those subjects... but hope to at least give a brief overview. I am open to thoughts and comments from others on things they might be interested in knowing.

For information on how to participate in the Webinar, I will point you to Dave (S/V Auspicious). Those are the kinds of details he will be able to help with.

Let me know.

Brian
T37Chef and jimgo like this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing With Kids Webinar

The last time I checked there are about 8,000 faces in SSCA. I'm proud to be one of them, and the one that invited Brian to talk about cruising with kids at Seven Seas U (SSU). I'm very excited to support sharing information about kids on cruising boats. I don't have children of my own, but when I see cruising kids I envy their maturity, their experience, their relationships with family and friends.

One of the things we would like to hear about is what your areas of interest are. We see Brian's overview presentation as an introduction to what will become a series that provides more detail on the areas you would like counsel about. Post here, write me, write Brian, take the overview and then give us feedback. At the end of the day it is up to you.

When we schedule the first webinar we'll post here and on Seven Seas U , where there will be registration. SSCA SSU webinars are open to anyone; SSCA members get a discount.

sail fast and eat well, dave
Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious
SSCA Board of Directors, Immediate Past President
Seven Seas U
SSCA Annapolis Cruising Station
T37Chef and jimgo like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-15-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Hey cruising dad,

If you need help on the boat schooling part, shoot me a pm.

I teach at a school of education (I teach teachers) and there are a few things that need to be considered that have developed in the last couple of years that has not filtered from public schools to the homeschooling crowd.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 03-20-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Hey cruising dad,

If you need help on the boat schooling part, shoot me a pm.

I teach at a school of education (I teach teachers) and there are a few things that need to be considered that have developed in the last couple of years that has not filtered from public schools to the homeschooling crowd.
THanks for the offer! Do you remember how to factor binomials? Hehe. Just kidding.

Look forward to seeing ya ou here!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.