Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014

AndreasNYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Baby seat in cockpit

Quote:
Do not put a baby seal in your cockpit.
The mother seal leaves the pup on the beach so she can go hunting. The mother will come back and retrieve the pup later.
Leave the baby seal on the beach.

:l augher
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasNYC View Post

Are babies 8-10 months old prone to sea sickness?
I almost bet they are more immune to it than adults but that's just my hunch.

thanks

A
Well it has been a few years, as my youngest is 15, but I remember 8-10 months they threw up for just about any reason at any time! I have read that everyone is supposed to get sea sick but some don't because of scaring of the inner ears from childhood colds and whatnot makes them less susceptible. I don't know if it is true, but it sure makes an adult feel a bit less silly if you tell them that as they get sick. But it would indicate that children of all ages would be more prone. I know one of my sons got car sick even when very young, but the other does not. The one who got sick all the time is now 18 and still does not have a license and has no real interest in getting one, while the 15 year old is ready already or so he thinks! Not sure if it is related. But lots of people take kids out at that age, so I think if they are not prone to car sickness you should be OK.

As far as facing the car seat I would think you would want either facing forward, or to one side, not in between. And of course keep them out of the sun!
Old 04-07-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

We used a regular car seat. It wedged nicely in the cockpit floor well. (sorry I don't have a picture of this). We had him facing rear, so we could see him and he could see us. I put in some straps on the starboard setee where we could strap down the car seat and this did come in handy during a 20+ knot squall. It seemed like every time the engine was on he'd sleep "like a baby." Maybe it was the carbon monoxide, but it sure worked. We even ran the motor for 20min or so in the evening at anchor just to get him to sleep.

As for a spray hood, I wouldn't think you'd need that. If you have a sun shade on the car seat that should suffice. If the weather is worse than that, I'd mount the little one down below, rear facing, where you can see him/her from the cockpit.

Medsailor
jimgo, deltaten and christian.hess like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-08-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Since my wife and I sailed up until about a month before our daughter was born, I suppose one could say our daughter began sailing when she was -1 month old. Subsequently, she began sailing with us when she was 5-6 months old. In a car-seat when awake and in a bassinet suspended from the overhead (in the manner of a hammock) when sleeping. (The "hammock" was on a short tether buffered with a bungee cord so it remained "level" regardless of the roll or pitching of the yacht to prevent her suffering sea-sickness. It worked.)

As she became older, she sat in a car-seat lashed in the cockpit, facing aft, where she was protected from sun and sea by the dodger but able to see out and about. When she was up to it, she was allowed to walk about in the cockpit wearing a PFD with a tether so she could help me "drive".

Now in her early twenties, she says her best "childhood" memories are of our family travels on the yacht but that she's still unhappy with me and her mother about our selling our "little boat" (our 1976 Cal 2-29) in favor of our "big boat" (1986 First 42) even though it gave her her own cabin.

Pictures following (I hope!):
Attached Thumbnails
Baby seat in cockpit-hy-sailing-0001.jpg   Baby seat in cockpit-kiss-wind.jpg   Baby seat in cockpit-100_4925.jpg  
jimgo and christian.hess like this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 04-09-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 04-08-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

What is it about the little boat that she misses, or what doesn't she like about the current boat?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-09-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
What is it about the little boat that she misses, or what doesn't she like about the current boat?
Frankly, Jim, I don't know for sure. Our old boat ("Mello Belle"--because she was very mellow at sea and often the "Belle of the Ball" in our harbor) was her first experience and she was just abject when we sold her ("Daddy, how can you sell Mello Belle, she's part of our family!?!") She didn't like HyLyte at first, even though she had her own cabin--still stuffed with toys, art supplies, et al to this day--because it replaced Mello Belle and it was hard for our dog, Nibbles ('cause he always wanted a little nibble of whatever you were eating), to make his way to or from the cockpit without a boost (the companionway ladder was too steep and she wasn't then big enough to handle the job.)

N'any case, she's been sailing all over heck and gone ever since, most recently a passage from St. Martin to Trinidad--by-passing St. Vincent to our relief. (She's been on power boats also but doesn't care for them as she explains: "Daddy, they're too stinky! You can't even smell the ocean!") At this point she takes great pride in the fact that she and her mother can handle the "big boat" but when questioned she still says she liked Mello Belle "better".
jimgo likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-09-2014

Tayana42 is on a distinguished road

40 some years ago when our daughter was an infant we had a 24 ft boat. We use a "car bed" (remember those) wedged into the saloon seats. Never used a baby seat in the cockpit, always held her. Maybe it was easier on a small boat.

She sailed with us from about 6 months of age. When our son was born we took him on his first cruise at 4 weeks of age from New Haven to Block Island. Same car bed and same mother's arms.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2014

AndreasNYC is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the great advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2014

dss30 is on a distinguished road

Have been following this thread with great interest. We will be sailing with our now 8 month old this summer on the Chesapeake. Have already thought about netting for the v-berth, and a forward facing seat for the cockpit!
jimgo likes this.
Old 04-21-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss30 View Post
Have been following this thread with great interest. We will be sailing with our now 8 month old this summer on the Chesapeake. Have already thought about netting for the v-berth, and a forward facing seat for the cockpit!

Go for it. When they're still content to nap in a car-seat, and before they're crawling and running everywhere it is sooooo much easier to boat with the little ones.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.