SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Baby seat in cockpit (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/132082-baby-seat-cockpit.html)

AndreasNYC 04-04-2014 12:22 PM

Baby seat in cockpit

Help everyone

We are thinking of putting a baby seat in our cockpit. Perhaps mounted on the fron of the steering pedestal.
Are there any specific ones for boats perhaps with a splash guard?
A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coquina 04-04-2014 12:23 PM

Re: Baby seat in cockpit

We just used our car seat and bungee-corded it where we wanted it.

jimgo 04-04-2014 01:34 PM

I've seen people put them under the dodger to avoid splashes. I'm not sure that I'd do that because it decreases visibility and increases the motion the baby would feel. I agree with Joe's idea of using a bungee cord to attach the car seat. If the cockpit is a decent size, you could always add a couple pad eyes and use the bungee to attach the seat that way (though I'd probably through-bolt those and put some kind of backing plate on it, given the precious cargo).

AndreasNYC 04-04-2014 02:04 PM

How important would you say the orientation of the seat is?

Would facing the seat exactly forward be more comfortable than at say 45 or 90 degrees to the direction of travel?

is one orientation less likely to cause sea sickness?

Are babies 8-10 months old prone to sea sickness?
I almost bet they are more immune to it than adults but that's just my hunch.

thanks

A

jimgo 04-04-2014 02:38 PM

My kids were toddler age or older when we first started, so I can't really answer that. I would think that the motion of the ocean will be kind of similar to that inside the womb, so I would expect the babies to be somewhat less prone to motion sickness, but this is pure speculation on my part. If you want to reduce motion, I'd be inclined to put the seat facing either front or backward (probably backward so I could see into the seat easier) and as close to the centerline as possible. That will limit the side to side rocking. Keeping the seat as close to the center of the boat (fore and aft) also would seem to help reduce the hobby-horse feeling. But again, that's just conjecture on my part.

killarney_sailor 04-04-2014 02:41 PM

Our kids were 4 to 5 months old when they started on the boat and we had no problems at all. They do not like to be splashed I know that for a fact. Just make sure they are well-secured and not exposed to too much sun - or splash.

Coquina 04-04-2014 04:32 PM

We usually had the baby seat under the dodger facing the center of the cockpit with the back of the seat facing the coaming and bungeed onto the secondary winch. Our son seemed to by happy any old way we stuck him. Once we put cushions on either side of the V-berth and let him roll back and forth with each tack. He LOVED that :D We figured by the time he was 90 days old he had spent at least 10 nights on the boat.

Sabreman 04-04-2014 05:14 PM

Baby seat in cockpit

We had the seat on the windward side tied in. But if the boat was heeling more than about 5 degrees, our daughter was in mom's arms. I did a lot of "accompanied solo sailing" for a couple of years.

When she was stable on her feet she could sit on the low side under the dodger and face which ever direction she wanted. A lot of times, she stayed in the v berth padded by pillows all around, and played with her toys.

Cruisingdad 04-04-2014 05:45 PM

Facing aft where you can see them and they can see u. On phone so cannot chat more. Friend me on facebook and is easier to help with questions.

bobperry 04-04-2014 06:42 PM

Do not put a baby seal in your cockpit.
The mother seal leaves the pup on the beach so she can go hunting. The mother will come back and retrieve the pup later.
Leave the baby seal on the beach.

A splash guard won't help. They are quite messy and they smell bad.