Newbie cruising family looking to hook up with cruising families in BVI - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006

hsilvermanmdjd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hsilvermanmdjd
Newbie cruising family looking to hook up with cruising families in BVI

Although we are experienced New England cruisers, wife and I and have never ventured beyond our local waters (Newport, Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard, Block Island). We've done 2-3 weeks at a time but never 2-3 months (as is our plan for this winter). Our boat (a Jeanneau 54 DS) will be professionally repositioned to the BVI by Thanksgiving (so that we can make a week's visit) and after a short return for a white Christmas in New England, we will be back on board by Jan 1 for extended cruising (at least "extended" by our standards.)

We would love to hook up with families with children. Experienced BVI cruisers would be great or newbies like ouselves to share the mistakes. Either way, always better to be with other folks. Our children are Jake 10 and Joely 8. I am a physician, attorney (don't hold that against me), software engineer (I know, over-achiever) and my wife a medical tech. We like to explore, cook, scuba dive, play cards, bingo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crew.jpg (54.6 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Silverman,

I love it!!! GO for it and start your own web site with your adventures. Take lots of pictures. I find myself going through our "picture log" every morning over coffee.

We are a little behind you right now, but if you ever find yourself in Swest Florida, PLEASE look us up. The boat is Sea Mist IV. It is a Catalina 400. We have two kiddos (both boys): 2 & 6.

Fair Winds.
Old 08-28-2006
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
If you can wait (or perhaps go again!) 3 years from now, we'll join you!

Congrats on the plans and best wishes on the journey.
Old 08-28-2006

Michael201 is on a distinguished road
Might see you out there in a couple years. Building a passport 62. Wife & I are semi-retired, mid 40's with a boy (currently 2 year old) who loves to swim & sail. We'll be out there for a few years. Hope your jounney is safe & fun...
Old 08-30-2006

sailDreamcatcher is on a distinguished road
[Post edit by administrator]

Welcome to SailNet - if you would like to advertise your business on SailNet please contact us.

Kindest Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by administrator; 08-30-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SailDreamCatcher–

I took a look at your blog... it's not a blog—but a commercial website. Advertising for commercial websites is generally considered spam. This is especially suspicious, given that this is your first post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-02-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Based my boat in the BVI for eleven years; been sailing there for 35+ years.

You'll find lots of families on the charter boats (from the Moorings, Sunsail, etc.). You'll meet new ones, and some of the same ones, in all the favorite anchorages.

My kids grew up sailing there many years ago on our 2-month vacations every two years. They'll love the snorkeling, swimming, beachcombing, and all the watersports now available.

Have a great time, and don't worry about "hooking up" with other families.

Bill
S/V Born Free
Old 09-02-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Just a short PS...

Sailing and navigation there is simple. Most all hazards are visible, land is always in sight, and harbours are plentiful and not very far apart.

Only difference from your home waters is that the tradewinds, when they are blowing, are not gentle breezes. They can blow 15-25 knots, and kick up quite a chop in the Drake Channel. The anchorages can be very breezy and gusty.

Most anchorages these days have moorings (at a cost of $20-25 a night). In some, there isn't room to anchor, but in others you can anchor if you like.

The water is very clear. You can often see down to 30' or more. Reefs are very well marked on the charts and with nav aids. Buoyage is same as U.S. -- red right returning. Currency is U.S. dollars (they love 'em!). Unlike the old days, there are lots of good restaurants located around the islands, and you can find most anything you might need.

The BVI are much more laid back than the USVI...slower paced, and not nearly so much "development". You might call them an "underachiever" in this regard, and thank heavens they are! Overall, a delightful place that sailors return to again and again.

Bill
S/V Born Free
Old 09-04-2006

hsilvermanmdjd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hsilvermanmdjd
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.