Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, our resident barrister resorts to insults when any one disagrees with him or calls his houseboat a barge....or a land-locked condo... since it hasn't seen the water and has some pretty permanent looking steps leading up to it. I don't think he's ever planning on floating it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2006

LkWinnipesaukee is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Surfesq]Both of you guys are idiots ... Any child under 14 must wear a life jacket according to the USCG Regulations. QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you're wrong. Check your facts.
Old 10-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
He often is...just hates to face the truth of that fact....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
We use the Mustang PFD's too. You will see in many of my past threads that I am a big fan of them. I will tell you that they do work!!

Saw something new at West a few weeks ago. I might consider it for offshore. It is a auto inflate for kids. I think it had D rings.. cannot remember now. For some reason, this was the first time I have seen them. Made by Sospenders, as I recall.

As far as the tether and LJ's in general, I will share what we have been doing for some years: No going forward without an adult during the day. No going forward at all at night. If we are anchored, you can go without a LJ, but not forward without supervision. If we are moving, you have to wear a LJ unless you are down below. No going into the cockpit without an adult outside. Sound strict? Maybe, but my kids have not fallen off the boat yet (now the dock and boarding is a different story).

Keep them in a LJ and they get accustomed to them. Any question, just PM me.

- CD
Old 10-26-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
We use the Mustang PFD's too. You will see in many of my past threads that I am a big fan of them. I will tell you that they do work!!
Yup-- here's a pic of my son from our Cal 20 daysail last Sunday

We were lucky because they gave away free Mustangs to thousands of kids at the Portland boat show last year, and we snagged one for both my son and daughter. I hope they do it again this year.

Jim H
Old 10-26-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Jim,

Ahh... another future sailor!!

PS All with kids, Mustang makes two kinds. For the older kids, the barrel type shown below is without a doubt the way to go (as Jim has shown). For the younger, I reccommend in the strongest terms, the jacket that has the crotch strap, zipper, and head support. Especailly the head support, because you want to make sure that when they fall in, they come up Face UP and supported out of the water.
Old 10-26-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
FYI for you Maryland Sailors

New Life Jacket Law for Children Becomes Effective April 1, 2006
On April 1, 2006 a new Maryland law governing personal flotation devices (PFDs) for children goes into effect. Under the new law, if a child is less than 4 years of age or weighs under 50 pounds, the child must wear a PFD with specific additional safety features including: a strap that is secured between the child’s legs to fasten together the front and back of the PFD; an inflatable headrest or high collar to keep the child’s head above water; and a web handle to ensure the ready accessibility of the child from the vessel. Read more..
Effective June 1, 2001, all children under the age of 7 must WEAR a United States Coast Guard approved Personal Flotation Device (Life Jacket - Type I, II, III or V) while underway on a recreational vessel under 21 feet in length on Maryland waters. Recreational vessel includes motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and any other device capable of being used for transportation on the water, when the vessel is being used for other than commercial purposes.

The Life Jacket must be the proper size for the child and must be in good and serviceable condition.
This requirement does not apply when:
  • A vessel is moored or anchored.
  • A child is below deck or in an enclosed cabin.

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-13-2007 at 10:51 AM.