Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the comments Jim and Cam.

As far as cruising on smaller boats with kids, I agree, it can be done if you (as parents, not kids) have the right temperment. Several people and books I have read list examples of it. Also, my experience has not been that my stuff breaks that much (Cam and others could comment on this as they live aboard and have cruised a lot) - however, my boats have been new. The problems my budget has had is food and gadgets I buy, honestly.

As far as Jims comments on different boats that can work too, absolutely. You will make the boat you buy work, even if you have to modify it. Still, I was just trying to list my personal, real life experiences and preferences and why.

Ask four sailors a question, you will get four different answers (or more like eight since they will start arguing with themselves!)

Thanks again for the kind words all. See you out there.

- CD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
As a follow up, you might like this casting call from ABC listed on the 'Lectronic Latitude:

http://www.infoasis.com/~latitude38/...l#anchor436082

They want "families who enjoy a life of leisure through sailing and spending time with their family."

Do I sense an oxymoron here?

Jim H
Old 11-10-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hey Jim,

I am afraid that if they filmed my family cruising, it would turn more into an episode of Catpain Ron's Family Adventure!!

HAHA!

Besides, what is that wife swap thing? Geez, I can barely handle my own wife. I don't watch television, so I really know nothing about it.
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The real question to ask is: "Does your wife want a change of pace?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Funny, SD!!

I have always told her, "Baby, if you ever leave me, make sure he is a rich good-looking guy. Becuase if you leave me for a ugly poor guy I don't think my little ego could handle it!"
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Becuase if you leave me for a ugly poor guy I don't think my little ego could handle it!"
CD-

I thought she was already there...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2006

Bluewater4us is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for valuable info and input. I am too a dad who wants tocruise with the family. After spending a year in Iraq I am ready to spend time with them. On my last R&R I purchased a 36' catalina. It is an older model because it is what I can afford. I know some other families with kids have gotten catalinas because the seem roomier than most and family friendly. My kids are 8 & 4 the youngest loves to sail and the oldest is not too trilled with it but he loves pirates. I am going to do several trips with each getting progessively longer and further away. We have a 25' catalina on a lake we have spent nights and weekends on. It is a bit cramped by the end of the weekend for 4 pp. Still it is an adventure and to the kids it is like camping. We home school as well so that issue is nonexistant. I keep the kids involved with sailing and we play game so they learn and have fun at the same time.

I told my wife that if she wanted to leave me just don't take the boat. She can have everything else. I'll just sail to Brazil then and get into ome trouble.
Old 11-11-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Bluewater...Every day but Especially today...thank you for your service! The Cat36 is a great boat for a family as long as you stay coastal and watch the weather. There are lots of wonderful places you can go and the kids will have memories and experiences they'll remember all their lives. Good luck to you!
Old 05-11-2012

Peniki is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Cruising kids?

I love what I am reading here. My husband and I have been boat shopping lately, and even though we will be sailing only on freshwater, we intend to work our way up to salt water and living aboard with our toddler. Last year, we went against the 'norm' and set out in our 40 y.o. VW Van http://gypsyvinrose.wordpress.com; living in Peniki for two months while out there in nature and on the road. We traveled from Texas to the Florida Keys and back again. It was the time of our lives and our daughter (being barely a year old) was a happy little camper indeed.

Now, we seek more adventure, but of the sailing kind. And hopefully, this weekend, we will be buying our first boat: a SJ 24 that needs some work, but we embrace the challenge. We have learned to live a very simple, and low cost lifestyle; one that most folks would laugh at I suppose. Still, we keep trying and reaching for our dreams of singing our songs http://www.gypsyvinrose.com, and of bringing our daughter up rather far-removed from the mainstream. Learning new things is always the spice of life! We can hardly wait.

I also want to thank everyone for such great advice to those of us who are not so seasoned at sailing and living aboard. But, I draw inspiration from those of you who are living the dream. I ran across a site, and a family who was a true inspiration to me. bumfuzzle | living, sailing, procreating Wow! What a story! A great read, you'll get hooked! : ) I know I am.

Anyway, anymore adive is greatly appreciated. Hopefully, this weekend will be the beginning of a journey we will never forget and will never regret. Safe Passages to all! .V.. and God Bless!

Last edited by Peniki; 05-11-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Left some info out of post
Old 05-16-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Re: Cruising kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peniki View Post
I love what I am reading here. My husband and I have been boat shopping lately, and even though we will be sailing only on freshwater, we intend to work our way up to salt water and living aboard with our toddler. Last year, we went against the 'norm' and set out in our 40 y.o. VW Van http://gypsyvinrose.wordpress.com; living in Peniki for two months while out there in nature and on the road. We traveled from Texas to the Florida Keys and back again. It was the time of our lives and our daughter (being barely a year old) was a happy little camper indeed.

Now, we seek more adventure, but of the sailing kind. And hopefully, this weekend, we will be buying our first boat: a SJ 24 that needs some work, but we embrace the challenge. We have learned to live a very simple, and low cost lifestyle; one that most folks would laugh at I suppose. Still, we keep trying and reaching for our dreams of singing our songs Original Music of Gypsy Vin Rose, and of bringing our daughter up rather far-removed from the mainstream. Learning new things is always the spice of life! We can hardly wait.

I also want to thank everyone for such great advice to those of us who are not so seasoned at sailing and living aboard. But, I draw inspiration from those of you who are living the dream. I ran across a site, and a family who was a true inspiration to me. bumfuzzle | living, sailing, procreating Wow! What a story! A great read, you'll get hooked! : ) I know I am.

Anyway, anymore adive is greatly appreciated. Hopefully, this weekend will be the beginning of a journey we will never forget and will never regret. Safe Passages to all! .V.. and God Bless!
Good to have you here and good luck with it all. Ask questions and keep us posted!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: