Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007

kmclarke is on a distinguished road
I wonder if there are any truly atheist sailors. I am not religous but I do have a strong faith, the strengh ? it depends how bad the weather is.

KC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2007

kmclarke is on a distinguished road
I wonder if there are any truly atheist sailors. I am not religous but I do have a strong faith, the strengh ? it depends how bad the weather is.

KC
All I want is warm toes.
Old 04-22-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
I am looking to home school my Daughter while on the surf expedition, any suggestions on how to pull this off would be greatly appreciated. Rachel Hope is 14 and will be starting the 9th grade next year. I plan on trying to get her Highschool education under way while we are cruising the Islands mon. There are lots of options just from my initial feelers, I have a few months to make this decision, and would love to find the perfect school.

This is one of the schools we are looking into traversing. Welcome to Florida Virtual School

Last edited by JagsBch; 04-22-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2007

kavakava is on a distinguished road
I used to work for a large school system in MD, and part of my job was to evaluate home school programs and make sure families were truly educating their kids, not just allowing them to stay home. The two most comprehensive programs I saw were Calvert for elem and middle, and Univ of Nebraska HS for high school. Just one person's opinion.
Old 04-22-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
also check with your school district, as some, many around the puget sound area have home school programs within the district, and can set up the ciriculum while you are gone.

I have 2 duaghters using local district programs, that is working a LOT better than when EE was deciding the program. It takes a lot of work from the parents to succeed!

Marty
Old 04-22-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
About 3 years ago one of my dockmates sent their kid to be a midshipman. He was home schooled ex his Sr year in HS. His parents were educated formally, but chose the cruiser/liveaboard life. Sometime later I enquired of a mutual friend, how the kid made out. I was informed that 11 of the class were home schooled and that they stood out, heads above the regular HS graduates. Not only academically, but in life skills ie. tenacity, judgement, and getting along. Instilling virtue is the prime objective of any normal parent and if you have the modelling at hand, why fear the endeavour? Apprenticeship is still the best teacher with a proper mentor.
Old 01-21-2010

cruisingmom is on a distinguished road
Hello all I am back. I posted back in 2006, went on a years cruise, and hope to go out again.
What we did was develop a curriculum with the help of our schools. The kdis did fine. I integrated alot of historical fiction related to the areas that we were traveling. Also a book called " What your fifth grader needs to know" for grades up to 6 HIGHLY recommended. Focused on reading, reading aloud, writing, math every day.
(P.s nothing against religion, made my kids study all. Visit churches, etc. Just wanted one a little less biased to one)

Now my problem is thus, we hope to head out again and have student in high school. A junior. serious stuff. I want to purchase a curriculum to be safe. Anyone out there with a high school they could recommend? I would like to avoid internet based, knowing how reception can be spotty.

P.s our canadian friends were able to access full curriculum from their schools. Check that out first if you are from Canada!
Old 01-22-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
mom

the Calvert School (in Baltimore, MD) has a complete self contained - down to the paper and pencils course that we used for my son...was awesome.

check them out..

dave
Old 01-22-2010

gathhill is on a distinguished road
Calvert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
mom

the Calvert School (in Baltimore, MD) has a complete self contained - down to the paper and pencils course that we used for my son...was awesome.

check them out..

dave
I too am looking at possible H.S. curriculum for a sophmore. I thought Calvert was only K-8. I did find one called Nebraska H.S. I believe? Google it. Courses were around $260 per subject each. Probably a couple thousand a year for H.S. Seems a bit steep for me, but I haven't looked into it much before. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingmom View Post
Hello all I am back. I posted back in 2006, went on a years cruise, and hope to go out again.
What we did was develop a curriculum with the help of our schools. The kdis did fine. I integrated alot of historical fiction related to the areas that we were traveling. Also a book called " What your fifth grader needs to know" for grades up to 6 HIGHLY recommended. Focused on reading, reading aloud, writing, math every day.
(P.s nothing against religion, made my kids study all. Visit churches, etc. Just wanted one a little less biased to one)

Now my problem is thus, we hope to head out again and have student in high school. A junior. serious stuff. I want to purchase a curriculum to be safe. Anyone out there with a high school they could recommend? I would like to avoid internet based, knowing how reception can be spotty.

P.s our canadian friends were able to access full curriculum from their schools. Check that out first if you are from Canada!
Very nice of you to reply back.

Brian

PS Nice name! (No, fellow members, that is NOT my wife... I don't think!?)

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.