Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010

Parclan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschoenb@rcn.com View Post
We are planning a year long cruise with our three children (12, 10 and 4 yr old) and would greatly appreciate information from other cruisers regarding the home schooling process for the different grade levels. Do you purchase a cirriculum or make up your own, and recommendations for non-religious cirriculums to purchase for computer software as well
Thanks
We can help! After 21 years of home schooling from K-12th w/ kids into great colleges, plus teaching our own special needs kid, plus severe learning disabled kids, plus normal kids, tutoring young adults, plus serving on various state and regional boards, plus we're sailors(!), we can give you a few pointers. We've probably used, tried, or seen much of the curriculum choices out there. PM us and we can answer questions or point you in the right direction. Hope we can help. Located in TX gulf coast.
CP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2010

cruisingmom is on a distinguished road
Parclan

Thanks for your help. I will try to post a private message.

Right now looking at University of Nebraska for high school. and will be doing my own curriculum, with purchased materials for the younger grades.

I am reading alot about different learning styles and, truthfully, from my successes and failures of the last homeschooling year.
My eldest did well in her academic transition to high school, except for math, which is MY weakest area.

WE did a great deal of reading aloud, visiting museums together, and writing and math problems. One things the kids did develop was a curiosity and the ability to ask good questions. They developed a love of history, esp my middle child.

ONe thing I did poorly is that I skipped around a fair bit, thus I want to follow a planned out curriculum, even if I adapt it to the areas we are traveling.
I had the kids study the history of each area, in text and historical fiction.

One other thing I did poorly was adapt to the learning needs of my middle son. He is bright but very active. He learns best in brief, pointed lessons, and he needs structure. Hands on, active experience works best for him, rather than a dirge of math problems, which is what I gave him.

I hope to do better this time.
Old 02-13-2010

cruisingmom is on a distinguished road
Thanks cruising dad ( for the record, we are not married! In fact my husband, since he and I share an email address, uses this name as well. )
Old 02-13-2010

Got your PM and will try and respond
Old 02-13-2010

If the PM won't work, I will respond here later today
Old 02-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing that might be a good resource for homeschooling on a boat is a DVD-ROM based encyclopedia. I just gave the Encyclopedia Britannica to my nephews....and it is very useful, especially since you don't need an on-line connection for it to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-13-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
parcian,

You may need to get to "10"posts to respond to a pm, altho that might be doing links, and 4-5 posts for a pm.

As far as home schooling goes, been there did that done that. My youngest is actually doing better in a school system program........but I will not go the rest of the way re what type and style, just do not do what folks call "unschooling" which is really no curriculum per say.

Marty
Old 02-13-2010

Undine is on a distinguished road
Check this thread in the Living Aboard form, Kids Aboard.

Living Aboard Forums: Free Home schooling for livaboards
Old 02-13-2010

Hi "Cruisingmom",
This is the other half of Parclan….mom. By way of further introduction, so you know where my experience comes from – we have seven kids, six boys and one girl. Ages 25 to 8. One is mildly dyslexic. One is severely dyslexic. One is ADD – this is a child who just now, at age 8, can attend to things that interest him for longer than 2 minutes – no exaggeration, and my daughter has Down Syndrome. The oldest 3 have graduated high school (home school). Our eldest received a congressional appointment to and was graduated from a federal academy. All 3 took dual credit college courses beginning in their junior year of high school and just sailed through (pun intended) college level work with no problems at all. You will be impressed at how many colleges today very actively seek home school kids.

I’ll put this response in 3 pieces since it is rather long. Here is part 1:

Teaching Textbooks is an excellent math program for us math challenged parents (or those who can’t remember that far back!) It is quite thorough, written specifically with home schooling families in mind (assumes NO prior knowledge or teacher present), and has the option of the student following the textbook for explanation, or ‘watching’ the lesson (it’s like watching a power point presentation) on the computer from a CD – no internet required.
My kids liked it, even my math averse son, because it is sort of light-hearted and unintimidating in presentation. That doesn’t mean it is not sound teaching, just presented in a friendly manner. Each practice problem and ‘homework’ problem, along with the test problems are worked out, in case the student needs to see where he went wrong.
We used Algebra I, II, and Geometry. Now they have multiple lower levels as well. It isn’t high-tech graphics by any stretch of the imagination – simple layout without much distracting stuff on the page. That was a plus for us.
Your middle son might like MathUSee, which uses manipulatives to teach concepts, along with an instructional DVD. It might be a bit of a challenge to start mid-stream with MUS, because it covers topics in a non-traditional order, but wiggly, active learners typically like it. We use this in the younger grades. Personally, I prefer a traditional textbook, but then, I’m not the student MUS is out of my comfort zone, but I feel okay with it because of the DVD.
Old 02-13-2010

Part2:
It sounds like you did a great job in incorporating your travels with their studies. Smart move! I think that’s a positive reason to skip around. We get a lot of bang for our buck when we take advantage of learning something that is relevant at the moment.

You mentioned that you do a lot of reading aloud, with a focus on history. Even though you prefer a non-sectarian curriculum, I would still check out Sonlight. It is written from a Christian perspective, but you could easily disregard the Bible portion and any discussion questions that relate what is being read to a Biblical issue.
It is literature based with high interest books – usually Newberry or other classic literature. Good prompts for discussion, good prompts for writing about what you’re reading. Easily used by an older student for self-directed study. Mom just eliminates any assignments she doesn’t like. Lots of material……by that I mean if you did everything, you could easily cover more than a typical year’s worth of study. It is very well laid out for someone to pick it up and go. The readers are usually easily found a used book stores, Goodwill, etc.

Sonlight is also adaptable to various age levels covering the same topic at the same time. Their website can be sort of intimidating, so I’d suggest getting the catalog to read first. If nothing else, the catalog is an excellent resource for suggestions on great books to read.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.