Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007

aschoenb@rcn.com is on a distinguished road
Home Schooling While Cruising

We are planning a year long cruise with our three children (12, 10 and 4 yr old) and would greatly appreciate information from other cruisers regarding the home schooling process for the different grade levels. Do you purchase a cirriculum or make up your own, and recommendations for non-religious cirriculums to purchase for computer software as well
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
I have not home schooled anyone myself (Don't say old), but I have five nieces who are doing K-12, and their work has produced some very impressive scholars. I believe they all purchase curriculum for structure and scope. They tell me that one of the keys to their success is regular field trips to events and locations associated with their studies. Your cruise itinerary might include many of those. A year of school ship experience sounds great to me. What kid could resist?

There is no shortage of excellent home schooling curriculum available. It is predominantly published by Christian sources, since Christian families have been the pioneers of the movement. Check the internet under "home schooling curriculum".

Last edited by Goodnewsboy; 01-06-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We'll be doing a 1-1.5 year long cruise of our own so we're looking into the same subject. My wife is more up on it than me. One item that we found out for these "short" cruises - in New York at least - is that you have to have the curriculum approved by your local school district if you want your kid to re-integrate at the appropriate grade level when you return.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-06-2007

svs3 is on a distinguished road
Try the Calvert School Calvert Homeschooling

Sam
Old 01-06-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I read somewhere that the key to success with home schooling while cruising was thinking about what was going to happen when you get back. If you already know what school they are going to go to when they get back, call that school and tell them what is going on, and work out a deal to "transfer the credit" to that school when you return. They might have some kind of requirements. I remember reading that one family home schooled and the requirement was that their children, upon returning, be able to maintain the same grade level for at least one semester (or maybe it was a year) at their new school in order for all their grades to be valid from when they were cruising. Maybe the new school would want them to pass a test to prove they learned something while cruising ? I don't know anything about it really.
Old 01-06-2007

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
I will 2nd the Calvert School, very complete down to pencils and paper and ruler. You will not be disappointed. No problems with xfers as they are fully accredited.

dave
Old 01-06-2007

kmclarke is on a distinguished road
We are also going to be cruising with two children ages 10 and 11, and are in need of info for home schooling . We are albertans so that will make a difference as all students have to stick to the curriculem of their state / province. The thing that will be different for us vs the majority of home schoolers is that we will leave for our cruise in Oct and return in April so our boys will be starting and finishing the school year in their own schools. Our hope is that they will be able to send a photo journal to their classes while they are away, thus enhancing everyones learning experience.

Cheers KC
Old 01-06-2007

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
Hi there

We are also in Alberta (Calgary) and also planning a cruise with children. We have two daughters aged 11 and 13 but since our cruise will start November or December, they'll be 12 and 14.

We bought a boat in Rhode Island and plan to cruise down the ICW - to the Bahamas and back to the US in June 2008.

Where do you plan to cruise, when and from where?

We are also trying to figure out the homeschooling issues. Our kids are in Webber Academy so we're hoping the school will let us do what you mentioned - start in their grades and then reintegrate the year after. We've had a meeting with the CBE homeschool division but I must say that just confused us. It seems the best curriculum is the Internet one, but you HAVE to have regular Internet access - obviously not possible when cruising. An alternative is a correspondence course but they have not updated that and it really looks very dry and frankly - boring. So we're hoping to follow Webber's curriculum and supplement. We're waiting for them to let us know if that will be acceptable.

Let us know what you plan to do.

Magnus Murphy
Old 01-06-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
You might check out http://www.flvs.net/ for some good links and the program itself. We have home schooled all our children and we use the Florida Virtual School for some courses. You can just teach them yourself. Are you homeschooling now?

Last edited by JouvertSpirit; 01-06-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2007

JouvertSpirit is on a distinguished road
Oh, I forgot to mention, "Religions of the World" is standard study for most students. It's going to be hard to find a purely Atheistic curriculum. Although some might argue that Atheism is a religion unto itself.