Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009

dakine929 is on a distinguished road
Ray Walden completed a thorough survey of the Hunter 30. We completed a short-haul at Yacht Haven in Glouchester, VA. Had the few barnacles scraped and hull power-washed for inspection. The hull is well maintained along with the rest of the boat. The owner replaced the driveshaft zinc even though it had a few months left on it. The keel is a bulb/wing configuration. We learned a lot about the boat in the six hours we spent with Ray. A few items to consider:

1. Battery terminal covers are important if you like your face.
2. Any through valve should be capped if not connected.
3. House batteries circuit should have a disconnect switch.
4. Don't use ammonia based cleaning products on a boat.
5. Strategically place fire extinguishers at accesible locations.
6. Use CO/smoke detectors and fume detectors.
7. Carefully choose type of stainless steel fittings, hardware and clamps. All hardware not created equally. i.e. Automotive Parts Store hose clamps different than marine hose clamps. Tightening bolt on automotive clamp isn't SS.

I can say we searched the entire length of the Chesapeake, and after several months this is the nicest boat I could find for the money. Still looking for a marina. Powell's would dock us next to a commercial tour boat. Jackson creek is quiet but after talking with locals and looking at the charts, navigation is somewhat more daunting than Stingray. Is there a quicker way of contacting the Stingray Marina owners? We really like the marina and would be interested in a slip in E dock. I will also look at Billy Norton's marina.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine929 View Post
Ray Walden completed a thorough survey of the Hunter 30. We completed a short-haul at Yacht Haven in Glouchester, VA. Had the few barnacles scraped and hull power-washed for inspection. The hull is well maintained along with the rest of the boat. The owner replaced the driveshaft zinc even though it had a few months left on it. The keel is a bulb/wing configuration. We learned a lot about the boat in the six hours we spent with Ray. A few items to consider:

1. Battery terminal covers are important if you like your face.
2. Any through valve should be capped if not connected.
3. House batteries circuit should have a disconnect switch.
4. Don't use ammonia based cleaning products on a boat.
5. Strategically place fire extinguishers at accesible locations.
6. Use CO/smoke detectors and fume detectors.
7. Carefully choose type of stainless steel fittings, hardware and clamps. All hardware not created equally. i.e. Automotive Parts Store hose clamps different than marine hose clamps. Tightening bolt on automotive clamp isn't SS.

I can say we searched the entire length of the Chesapeake, and after several months this is the nicest boat I could find for the money. Still looking for a marina. Powell's would dock us next to a commercial tour boat. Jackson creek is quiet but after talking with locals and looking at the charts, navigation is somewhat more daunting than Stingray. Is there a quicker way of contacting the Stingray Marina owners? We really like the marina and would be interested in a slip in E dock. I will also look at Billy Norton's marina.
Call Brent Halsey at 804-775-1807. Any time I've needed to call, I've gotten a prompt response.

There are currently slips open on almost every dock. We were on E dock a while back and the downside is you have a long walk to the pool or you have to drive. Other than that, E dock is fine and we have several friends on E. If you like your quiet, then don't get a slip on E directly across from Bubba's. You can idenify Bubba's because it appears to be a lively neon lit Bar, but is in fact a private residence. (Actually Bubba only throws a couple of big partys a year and is very good about shutting them down at a reasonable hour.) Our first slip was directly across from him and we never lost any sleep (I admit I have crashed a couple of his parties rather than try to sleep through the racket though).

In my opnion Stingray is about the nicest marina in D'ville other than FBYC, and I'm not rooted enough to invest in a Yacht Club membership at this point.

As far as navigation, you can have a straight, narrow, shallow entrance on Broad Creek or you can have a curving, narrow, shallow entrance on Jackson Creek. Each offers its own perils, though neither should be intimidating after you've done them once or twice. I will say Jackson creek will get the attention of your passengers, since you look like your gonna run right up on the beach before you turn.
Old 10-26-2009

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
I hear nothing but good things about Norton's.
I went to Norton's a few weeks ago to look at a couple of their boats....met the most worthless boat broker I've ever met.
Met 3 other boat brokers in the area the same day and all 3 of them could outsell the Norton's guy in their sleep.
Met another broker in Norfolk the next day and just mentioned having a bad experience with a broker. He looked at me and asked, "was it Norton's"? When I confirmed that it was, he said they have really developed a bad reputation.

My comments are only about the broker, not the marina itself. Don't know enough about the marina to comment.

Last edited by chuck53; 10-26-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2009

I'm not that well versed in what a broker should do, but our transaction was smooth and took less than 10 days from deposit to close. Our broker was at Annapolis Yacht Show a good portion of that time. The seller and I were both motivated. I'm sure the broker is a bit more involved when they are selling a $400k boat vs. a $40k boat. I got that impression from a few Brokers in Annapolis.

Norton's did well by us. We took a hard look at slips in Deltaville and decided to use Billy Norton's marina, Timber Neck. No swimming pool, but nice, large, well maintained slips and a very clean head. I backed out of three marinas because the docks were in mediocre repair, and the boats were taking a lot of abuse. I didn't want a place that required you to use bumpers to protect your hull. Saw a lot of hull abrasion, and pilings sanded to fresh (raw) wood by the boats. Slip fees ranged from $1600/yr to whatever your pocket could bear. We are paying $1800/yr. Probably an important think to keep in mind is slip size > boat size.

Last edited by dakine929; 10-27-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2009

There's an old saying "you only have one chance to make a good first impression." Let's just say the guy at Norton's really blew his chance where his competitors stepped up to the plate and did make a very good first impression.
In the 30-40k range I'm going to be looking in, I'm not going to go to the bother of having a buyer's broker where a $3000-4000 commission will have to be split between 2 guys. However, if I see a boat on yachtworld that looks really good and happens to be listed at Norton's, I'm going to find another broker to show it to me.
Old 11-03-2009

Chuck53,

Try Tony Tumas in Baltimore at Great Blue Yachts. Will keep and eye out for the kind of boat you are looking for. Best wishes on your journey.
Old 11-03-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
There's an old saying "you only have one chance to make a good first impression." Let's just say the guy at Norton's really blew his chance where his competitors stepped up to the plate and did make a very good first impression.
In the 30-40k range I'm going to be looking in, I'm not going to go to the bother of having a buyer's broker where a $3000-4000 commission will have to be split between 2 guys. However, if I see a boat on yachtworld that looks really good and happens to be listed at Norton's, I'm going to find another broker to show it to me.
I'm really suprised to hear that. You might consider calling the owner directly if they turn up a boat you're interested in, in light of your experience. As you say in the price range you are shopping neither broker is likely to work too hard for a split commission. There are some good experienced brokers in Dville and there are a whole bunch of retirees sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

FWIW, Norton's is one of the (if not the) top Hunter dealerships on the bay and the broker there is among the most experienced in town, so its no suprise other brokers might try to exploit one bad experience. Again, I know dozens of people that have bought more than one boat from Norton's and would do so again. However, I don't have "a dog in the fight", I'm just sharing what I've heard from their customers.

Good Luck.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 11-03-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2009

Midlife,
I'm sure Norton's is a big Hunter dealer and if I walked in the door talking about a $200-300k boat, the guy would have been all over me.
That was not the case. I got the very strong impression that he considered me a total waste of time. Other brokers in the area did not give me that impression, in fact, just the opposite. They made it clear they appreciated me coming by their offices and wanted to work with me.
When I mentioned a bad broker experience with another broker 60 miles away, the guy knew immediately that I was talking about Norton's even before I said the name. He said they have really developed a reputation of giving potential customers a "waste of time - don't bother me" attitude."

dakine929 - thanks for the reference.

Last edited by chuck53; 11-03-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2009

CaptKirk is on a distinguished road
Thanks to everyone on this thread. I hope to get ahold of a boat next year, although I'll be shooting a bit lower pricewise. But the information regarding the boats and the experience is invaluable.

If you have anything to add on a thread I started, you can find it here:

Advice on Beginner Boat for Chesapeake Bay?

Dakine929 - Congrats! You had posted in my discussion and it's exciting to hear about your new boat. Best wishes to you.
Old 12-09-2009
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
hmmm that being the case you should but mine so I can afford my 30! Hey Joe where would you recomend I unload mine? its an 80 totally ready for use with new rigging (all of it)?