Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009

closehauled14 is on a distinguished road
are there any child size PFDs that arent so uncomfortable?

My 5yr old little girl loves to go sailing with me, but can't stand her PFD. I can't say that I blame her, but at the end of the day she has to wear it if she wants to be on deck. Does anyone know of any child size PFDs that had comfort in mind? I feel bad because I'm sitting there in my inflatable vest, snug as a bug, while my kid suffers in the grasp of the bulky orange moster. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sospenders does make a children's version. However, I don't believe they make one for someone as young and small as your daughter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-07-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
These are what I used for all 6 of my kids without complains.

Mustang life
vests for children

Mustang's Lil' Legends innovative head pillow design is a two piece split foam flotation collar & heavy duty grab strap combined. It provides excellent support for back and shoulders, so a child floats face up horizontally on the surface, lessening the need to fight wave action. Additional features include the between-the-leg adjustable safety strap (aka Crotch Strap) for security. Bright yellow for high visibility, these vests are high-quality, comfortable and relatively easy-wearing for active young sailors, whether babies, bosuns, or dinghy captains.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 11-07-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2009

Thanks bubb, that looks considerably more comfortable than big orange, and solves the christmas dilema of finding an alternative to video games and hannah montana dvds. I try to raise the kids to play outside alot, but it can be hard nowadays.
Old 11-07-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
We ended up with a child's kayaking vest. My boy is 12 but he's a dwarf so he's about the height of a 5 yr old. I think we found it at REI for about $50.00.

Last edited by sww914; 11-07-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Crazy hair colors are genetic...
Attached Thumbnails
are there any child size PFDs that arent so uncomfortable?-img_0071-large-.jpg   are there any child size PFDs that arent so uncomfortable?-img_0058-large-.jpg  
Old 11-07-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by closehauled14 View Post
Thanks bubb, that looks considerably more comfortable than big orange, and solves the christmas dilema of finding an alternative to video games and hannah montana dvds. I try to raise the kids to play outside alot, but it can be hard nowadays.
I hear ya, I still have a 12 year old at home. He used to be my sailing buddy. With all the school activites and things he is involved in our time sailing is less and less.

Enjoy the time with you little girl while it's a hand!

Never Forgotten

Old 11-07-2009

I will. I hope mine still care about it as they grow up. My goal is to show them that with the right background, you can enjoy sailing for a living as private capt. ect, and still make a fairly decent living. I just don't want them to grow up and hate thier job. I don't think that theres anything worse. Witch beggs a question. What age do you think is apropriate to start single handing a sailing dinghy? And why?
Old 11-07-2009

10 to 12 years old it depends on the child. Younger than that, If they flip a boat or get themselves in trouble They just don't have all the where with all to address the situation. As for my son, he been on the tiller from about 5 or 6 years old with me in the dink with him. I trust him now at the age of 12 if he gets in to "trouble" he can take care of it by himself.

Never Forgotten

Old 11-07-2009

do you plan to or have already done some "trailing runs" folowing him in a larger boat to see how he does? I think that when they get to that age I'm going to want to see where their confidence is at without me aboard, and my wife will tell me that I'm overprotective.

Last edited by closehauled14; 11-07-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling