Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
All of my kids have been sailing, all 8 of 'em. My oldest boy can't do it because he gets seasick. My namesake doesn't feel comfortable on the boat because of his leg (car wreck injury) but is my primary partner in working on her. The other three boys love it and two of them have been out in 50+. The other one is jealous because he hasn't been out in a Gale yet and is probably the best driver of the bunch. All three of my Daughters love it. One has been out in a very strong breeze with square waves and the other two are jealous because they wanna go out when it's blowing dogs off chains too. I just have to get the old girl finished so we can continue on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2009
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road
We have a 14 year old daughter and 10 year old son. Before we purchased our boat this past year, they had some experience as we day chartered about once a year. In the past few years, my kids have been mostly passengers on Lake Michigan, the Chesapeake, and the Nile (on a captained faluka [sp?]). These trips were very good experiences for us all, despite a short and severe summer storm in the Chesapeake. They both now enjoy sailing, but the real benefit for us is that it is a family activity that we all can enjoy.

My daughter must be a typical teen: always gives me grief about going, but has a good time once she gets there. Our first trip was particularly difficult, the two of us sailed from the C&D to Atlantic City; My wife basically guilted her into the trip. Once she got over the fear, she enjoyed the independence and control. She even took up windsurfing at summer camp and when the homework load is too heavy, she brings it with her. Despite the resistance I get, she is a real joy once we get on board.

My 10 year old boy is real joy: he'll come with me anytime, and is wiling to work, in fact, he even looks for tasks once we're there. If he brings a friend, they both become very distracted and usually wind up chasing crabs on the dock. (They're great underway and when they have a specific task to accomplish... however, I am not a micro manager.) If I have a specific task to perform, we dont bring friends. His primary condition for a two month cruise is making sure xbox-live works on board. (I havent checked the bandwidth requirements yet.)

The primary issue appeared to be fear.. this issue is being overcome with knowledge and experience. She said, "I'm not really sure why I was so afraid." The other thing I find that works is keeping them involved and giving them responsibility while avoiding too many "chores." Another issue is that my daughter gets anxious if she cannot check in daily with her friends on facebook and the like. I usually bring some sort of Internet device just in case i need to fix something at work. (Mr Murphy knows when I am off the net.) I let her use it at night.

Next season we're looking for a dock/mooring that is closer to a social scene. I expect this will provide some training for the kids and perhaps a more social draw for them.

/ed
Old 12-14-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
With respect, Ed, I'd be trying to wean them off the Xbox and internet while cruising... Under sail there's plenty to do if you get them involved in boat handling and steering. In port there's new friends, beachcombing, maybe dinghy sailing, swimming, fishing, hiking, etc etc.... It's a 3d epic movie all around you 24/7 and it's a great opportunity to 'disconnect' in all the right ways.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-14-2009
Weekend Sailor

edguy3 is on a distinguished road
Faster, completely agree. The xbox comment was a compromise for a long term trip, not a week/weekend sail. ( This is a dream anyway... )

re: facebook. I only meant it as an absolute minimal check in, not for use while cruising, more for when in "floating condo mode". I want to see these virtual activities replaced with real one and a FB status of "having too much fun to be reading this stuff". ;-)

Last edited by edguy3; 12-14-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I have three kids, girls age 15 and 12, and a son who is 8. I started sailing in 2003 and have been at it ever since.

My oldest hates the boat and wants nothing to do with it. She can be a good sport about it though. For example if we are going to spend a few days on the boat I will usually bring the boat most of the way there by myself and have my family join me for the last bit of the trip. My daughter doesn't want me to have to do the trip alone so she volunteered to go with me and help.

My younger daughter doesn't mind sailing. She loves swimming and the beach so if the boat allows her to do those things then she likes the boat. If we're just going to sail for a few hours she would rather not go.

My son likes sailing, I guess about as much as any 8 year old would. He likes to steer and I'll let him do that as long it's safe and he can handle it. I'm working on getting him to trim the sails but that make take a little longer.

My two younger ones like spending nights aboard so that it nice. Sometimes we'll just spend an evening on the boat at the mooring.

When we're out sailing i will ask the kids (and my wife) to name certain parts of the boat. They have the basics down (mast, boom, headsail, mainsail, main sheet, jib sheets, bow, stern, port starboard, etc.) and I will start on the more complicated stuff.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2009
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Just as the BEM's (Booger Eating Morons) started protesting about having to go with DAD I bought them a 23 footer. Put a LOUD stereo on it a couple of batteries and a portable DVD player. It has a compass and depth finder along with 2 ice chests. We fill up the ice chest every friday all summer long. Uh....if anyone see's a McGregor 23 with two ice chest on it would you please tell the occupants that it's winter and probably a good idea to put the boat back in the slip.....
Old 12-14-2009
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
How old are your BEM's?
Old 12-14-2009
traviswantsaboat

traviswantsaboat is on a distinguished road
ok, to help yall out ill give you my standpoint from me, a 14 year old. my parents dont do anything and i found sailing on my own. sailing has now been all i ever want to do. give your kids an example of people who work crap jobs to come home to watch t.v. that was all the motivation that i needed. i knew i was never gonna be like my parents. (for example... my dad has a 2010 shelby gt500 mustang but never drives it, has a closet full of guns and never shoots them) but remember if your kids want to do nothing, let them do nothing. show them a better path and let THEM choose. dont force them.
Old 12-15-2009
traviswantsaboat

traviswantsaboat is on a distinguished road
also, a good movie for your kids to watch for a want to go sailing or just as a good movie is Capitan Ron. it really is a good movie
Old 12-15-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I loved that movie. Have you seen "Deep Water"? That's one I won't be showing the kids.

We did just watch "Morning Light" and they liked that as well.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40