Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009

proflyer is on a distinguished road
My thirty eight year old daughter says that her first memory is being in the cockpit of my Jouette 26 lying on the floor and looking at the stars while I made hot chocolate. She was three years old. Now she takes my CS36 on trips with her husband.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2009
traviswantsaboat

traviswantsaboat is on a distinguished road
i also watched morning light. i liked it
Old 12-16-2009

CaptFoolhardy is on a distinguished road
Well, we have one daughter who is 16 and she hates sailing. We bought the boat, a Precision 15k 15 foot trailerable, when she was 8 years old. For the first year or two she seemed to enjoy it, especially if she could bring a friend. We would go to boat shows and she would scramble aboard each boat so she could pick out her cabin.

A funny story, once when we were aboard a relatively small boat that had a double berth under the cockpit I told her it was called "the pizza box" because that's what it feels like you're sleeping in. She promptly went aboard a big luxurious center cockpit boat (I think it was an Oyster), walked into the aft cabin and stated "I want the pizza box". "Honey, it's not called a pizza box on a boat like this." ;-)

Gradually though she came to dislike sailing to the point of open loathing.

When we bought the boat I was very new and just learning how to sail. Being insecure in my own abilities I tended to be very demanding of the crew, "Sit here", "Don't touch that", etc. Captain Bligh even showed his ugly head from time to time. On top of that the first mate, when she noticed the daughter's declining interest, purchased (without consulting me first) one of those huge tubes you see being towed behind power boats with people on them thinking this would make it fun for the youngster. I objected to this for two reasons: 1. It's a small boat. I can feel our speed under sail go down just when I forget to tip the outboard out of the water, I can only imagine what a thing like that would do to our performance, and 2. more importantly, if the tube should capsize I was not at all confident in my ability to turn the boat around and rescue the occupant in a timely fashion. So I nixed the inner tube and I'm afraid my daughter perceived that as another example of my being a wet blanket when it came to sailing.

My strategy to deal with the situation was to get her more engaged in sailing the boat, to let her steer when the sailing was easy or handle the dock lines. Unfortunately by the time this strategy occurred to me she was already trying to get out of going at all, "Can't I go stay at Grandma's while you go sailing?"

Now days she stays home while my wife and I go sailing. She says it's boring plus which she tends to get a little seasick. I deeply regret not doing a better job at cultivating her interest, though I never wanted to force it on her. When I took up sailing I had grand ideas of it being something we could enjoy together but that doesn't seem likely now. My advice to anyone reading this would be to learn on your own for a while first. Get confident in your own abilities and be aware of the kids' level of enjoyment. Now whenever I have a novice on board I hand them the tiller and I play with the sheets, confident that if they screw up I can always recover. That wasn't so easy when I was just learning.

Best of luck to you,
Bob

Last edited by CaptFoolhardy; 12-16-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: additional idea
Old 03-31-2010

RaptorAT is on a distinguished road
OP- Your kids are teens or young adults. It can be very very hard to learn from your Dad at that age. One thing I have noticed about the young adults and adults who sail that had a sailing parent is that at some point they went out and sailed with someone else other then their parents. So encourage them to take a sailing class or to join a beercan casual race team you are not on or involved with. They will gain confidence and skills and be able to teach you a few things that they learn too. Not only that but it will give them a venue to shine. Sailing with Dad you never ever ever get to really be Captain no matter how old or experienced.

This is true with my family as well. My sisters never sail/boat without my Dad. I did not either until an ex boyfriend mentioned casual sailboat races in Chicago. Now my sisters 1 does not boat at all 1 will enjoy sailing on Dads boat when the option occurs about 2 times a year, and I sail regularly and on my own. Dad is better at motors and cruising. I am much better at sail trim, sail handling, and could kick his butt in any race. He knows his boat like the back of his hand. I can get on any boat and quickly get oriented. I think we both know each others strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure who is the better overall sailor.
Old 03-31-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
So far ours has only been sailing in utero, but has already experienced winds up to storm force, and has also helped with the cooking (if only by limiting the menu options). Looking forward to sending him/her up the mast, to the foredeck, etc. once he/she is a bit bigger, at least 18 inches tall is a requirement for deck work on my boat.
Old 03-31-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Congrats, Adam, on the impending arrival! Exciting times.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-31-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
My middle Daughter has Just informed us she wants to Get into Sail Boat racing as her Senior Project!

And my youngest said .."OH Cool...I want to do that to!"

How cool is that!..

I have made a new thread to see if any local members would pick her up as crew...

I don't know who is excited more me or her...

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 03-31-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
My middle Daughter has Just informed us she wants to Get into Sail Boat racing as her Senior Project!

And my youngest said .."OH Cool...I want to do that to!"
Awesome... definitely beats the whole "why would I want to do the stupid boring stuff that my parents think is cool" attitude that I'm sort of distantly concerned about.

Faster: thanks
Old 03-31-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
Awesome... definitely beats the whole "why would I want to do the stupid boring stuff that my parents think is cool" attitude that I'm sort of distantly concerned about.
Exactly...

Still, great to hear the girls are enthusiastic.. now all you need to do is get that boat wet!

In my post earlier in this thread I discussed our "2-boat" situation, unusual, to be sure, but when we moved up to the 40 footer the small boat was put on the market. It did not immediately sell, so we used it and our boys (age 10 or 11) started racing with us. The boat was paid for and cost little to maintain and moor, so we thought.. here's something our soon-to-be-teens are willing to do with the old folks.. why sell ourselves out of that? To have them sail/race with us (happily, willingly, and proudly) through out their teens was, as the saying goes, priceless!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-05-2010

arborman is on a distinguished road
My 5 year old took to our boat purchase last year like a house on fire - he loves it, loves the boat. We'll see how it develops.

5 month old hasn't been out yet, but soon.