Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
More devil's advocacy here as well.....

To state the obvious...

Isn't letting a 16/17 year old drive a car also fairly risky??

Isn't allowing 18 year olds(yes I know it is 21 in the US) access to alcohol kinda crazy? Damn I have some alcohol related stories my mum will never hear....

Isn't also letting your 16 year old girl date guys in this time of STD's just darn irresponsible??

Hey here in OZ 16 year olds can also get a student pilot's license...

Basically isn't being young just dangerous??

Should we not then just lock all the little buggers up until their old and sensible like the rest of us??

Interestingly enough, the statistics say that the greatest threat facing the next generation isn't an unprecendented epidemic of solo single-handed seabound recklessness but rather obesity and diabetes...

Would it be a stretch to say then that what is the biggest threat to these guys is a culture of not giving anything a go, of not going outside, of not trying lest you fail, of not pushing yourself....and essentially of not taking risks??

So what are we saying?? Stay at home kids, just listen to Britney on your Ipod and watch cable. If you wanna sail do it on your Wii. Twitter yourself silly, Go hangout at the mall, and for heaven's sake whatever you do don't actually LIVE.......cause that living is darn risky business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 12-17-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: can't spell
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Chall - you just brought a tear to my eye. +Freakin1 dude!

I recommend playing the following while reading the above post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-17-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Why would any parent allow such a thing?
She's being stocked by a horny grocery store bagger at the local mall, that's why, ya f'n putz

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 12-17-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Isn't letting a 16/17 year old drive a car also fairly risky??

Isn't allowing 18 year olds(yes I know it is 21 in the US) access to alcohol kinda crazy? Damn I have some alcohol related stories my mum will never hear....

Isn't also letting your 16 year old girl date guys in this time of STD's just darn irresponsible??

Hey here in OZ 16 year olds can also get a student pilot's license...

Basically isn't being young just dangerous??
Holy crap I forgot why it's so awesome to be young! I miss those days...

Not that I would ever let my kid circumnavigate alone. Or date.
Old 12-18-2009

LaGringa is on a distinguished road
I agree with Chall... when I was 16, 17 and 18, I was climbing mountains and glaciers and trekking the back woods - you know the ones full of bears, snakes, avalanches and a myriad of other dangers. I was doing solo survivals for days and surviving. Maybe these activities are not as dangerous as piloting an airplane or sailing around the world, but one messed up knot or faulty bit of hardware can end a climber's career in a heartbeat. These experiences taught me a lot about myself and what I was capable of and at a young age. I had (have) a lot more confidence than most girls my age and even a lot of adults I knew.

I have three sons now who are 22, 20 and 17, and I like that they are not afraid to try new things. I encourage them to seek new adventures that interest them. I express my concerns and have a time or two put my foot down but boy, I really would rather be putting my foot down than having them sitting around like a bunch of bumps on a log!

It's kind of like the difference between someone who sells everything lock, stock and barrel and moves to the Caribbean and those that say I've always dreamed about doing something like that and never do it.

No risk - no reward!
Old 12-18-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
People dont all mature at the same rate. Sometimes very young people have a much clearer vision of themselves. Humans are very self-centered until around 10/12, it's when we start listening to others that we start to loose focus on who we really are. Once we start listening to parents, peers, teachers, etc. we tend to get defused.

I love to watch the "Pee Wee" races at the local motocross track. Kids 10 and younger. The look on their faces afterwards is just priceless; the sense of accomplishment, the physical work-out and the respect they feel for themselves and they give to others ......... And one or two of them may be future stars, the rest have a great hobby and family activity they can do their whole life. Yet there is pressure to outlaw motorcycle racing for anyone under 16!

This young lady has her head in the right place, is doing the proper research and training, is physically fit and prolly has a better chance of making it than many of the "adults" who attempted in the past.

I have a gift. I am good at something. If I had been introduced correctly, at an early age, I could have gone far ...... even been a pioneer. I'm not crying about it, it's just a small fact in my life; one of many "if's" that most of us have.

Unlike myself, this girl knows her gift. She's an exceptional individual who's born to challenge herself and she may be doomed to "dying doing what she loved." Could happen at 16, 18, 59, 68, 75, 81?

DB
Old 12-19-2009

ROSA is on a distinguished road
Maturity does not always equal experience and knowledge. So far we seem to have 6000k of day sailing. Not much need for good luck yet, and pure good luck is what is necessary to circ safely and successfully without enough experience and knowledge. Just basic common sense.

Even with total maturity, mega experience, knowledge, and good luck this is no playground, according to Hal Roth, Bernard Moitessier, and the Smeetons. Their experience and knowledge carried them through to survival after the s___ hit the fan. Luck has two sides.

Last edited by ROSA; 12-19-2009 at 04:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Well - it looks like Jess is rockin':

JESSICA CONQUERS CAPE HORN!

Wednesday, 13 January 2010 (10.00pm AEDT)

We are incredibly proud to announce that Jessica Watson has conquered the Mount Everest of the maritime world by rounding Cape Horn this evening at 8.40pm (AEDT), doing so in 40 knot winds, mist, drizzle and a bumpy 4 metre sea.

However, the miserable conditions have not dampened the spirits of this inspirational 16 year old who is having the time of her life out there!

The predicted gales hit as scheduled today and Jessica has been sailing in 30-40 knot winds for the past 24 hours, but they are expected to abate soon as she heads north east towards the Falklands.

Jessica has now sailed 9,800nm on day 88 of her solo circumnavigation as she approaches the half way mark of her journey. Whilst there is much work still to do for Jessica, this day is one she will never forget.

Fnally, a huge thank you to all the loyal bloggers for your wonderful contributions to Jessica’s journey to date. The image below is a tribute to Jessica and her team on behalf of all the bloggers, from blogger Samurai (Sam).

More detailed updates on Jessica’s rounding will be posted tomorrow (AEDT).

Old 01-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that any generalized statement based on age is going to be wrong a majority of the time. I know some teens that are very mature and level headed and some that shouldn't be allowed out without supervision. I can say the same about some middle-aged people I know as well as some elders.

Whether a specific teen is mature enough and experienced enough to circumnavigate the globe needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis. Doing anything else is just stupid...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-13-2010
Last Man Standing

Yeah, but then you have the whole law thing - as in the case of Laura Dekker. Case-by-case sounds good, but works only if it doesn't interfere with the legality of the situation. Hence the debate.