SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The Circumnavigating Newborn Countdown

8K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  leland515 
#1 ·
Since it's apparently all the rage right now - and since it's getting hard to keep up with all the wee tots clamoring for a circ, I thought we might as well start this thread to keep up with the countdown to the ultimate "young sailor around the world" contestant.

His name is Bucky Blythe. He's in the third trimester. And as you can tell, he's totally stoked for the trip.

Both his parents are avid sailors - so he's obviously well prepared. The moment he's born his parents will put him on a fully outfitted Open 60 and push him southward away from their private dock in the Seychelles. What an adventure!

Glenda, his mom, says that he's been dreaming of this since gestation. Asked how she knew this she replied "Oh, you can always tell by the severity of the morning sickness. I was hurling like a penguin for 4 months straight. So he's definitely ready for the 60. He's not like most fetuses." Well there you have it.

Go the Bucky!

See less See more
#34 ·
So now that the Sunderland family has pushed itself through the wringer and come out the other side truly soiled (man what a head shaker)...who's the next babe to take to the Horns?

Is Laura D still determined to hoist and go?

Kids and records...gotta love it.

#38 ·
I've been great, in the spring I obtained my level one sailing instructor certification, but then by summer circumstances forced me to have to move away from the coast..
so now I'm in Tennessee, missing the ocean but there are plenty of lakesxD
After I'm finished refinishing the interior and doing a few other jobs I'll be off to sharpen my light wind sailing;)
How have you been?

And because I'm not a thread hijacker, you have to ask yourself if you deny someone the freedom to sail somewhere, where do you draw the line?

#39 · (Edited)
I've been great. Truly great.

I'm trying to get hooked up crewing on some ocean races. I'm making some progress on some Gulf racing - and I'm even making some progress on a much bigger race...but I'll have to tell you more if and when it happens.

Also I'm in the market for a spin for the Smacktanic. So life is great.

Honestly, lelo, I draw the youthful solo-sailing line at 18 (at least here in the US). I do that because I think it's any parent's responsibility to watch out for their kid until they are a a legal adult.

I love my kids too much to send them off into a seriously dangerous situation alone for more than a year by themselves...regardless of how talented and confident they are. And regardless of how much they want it.

That said, I'll go with them in a heartbeat.

#40 ·
What should the restrictions be until they're 18 though? I'd be very ticked if I could be hailed at any moment for sailing alone on my lake.. I love singlehanding, it's an entirely different sport.. I'm not doing any ocean crossings, but what would you say would be a good way to enforce it? Or would it lay unenforced until someone plans something stupid?

#41 ·
Being hailed. That's the kicker isn't it? Is that what it's really about?

Get the world to push the age of "majority" down - and I'm in.

At the end of the day...I've only got a case as long as the legal structure supports it.

BUT - as far as me wanting to protect and hang out with my kids on gnarly adventures until the end? Nobody is stopping me. I love 'em. And I don't need laws for that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.