Seeking advice: How to sail with young children...... - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
If anything it is more the parents than the kids. Kids love it if the parents do and they adapt very well and easily to boat life.. Our daughter turned 3 on Saturday and already has lots of nm under her belt..

She loves talking to the seals:

And Dora in the "romper bed":

And steering:

And sailing:

I loved it as a kid and so does our daughter. All winter she has been asking when we're going sailing and for dinghy rides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2010

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road
All: I would really like to thank everyone for your help. I showed my wife this link and she thought the pictures everyone put up of their kids on the boat were adorable.

My wife and I will take the next week or two to think this over. I don't think the Catalina 30 will sell during that time (i'm keeping my fingers crossed). The more I think about this, the more comfortable I am putting our two youngsters on the boat.

Maybe, this is the time to pitch the idea of getting a 34 foot boat to my wife..... you know, the added space in the cockpit??!!

thanks again and I'll let you know how this works out.

Kind regards,
Old 02-22-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Go for it

The best times we have as a family are on the boat! Both kids were sailing with us at two months old, the first sailboat was a 20' Buccaneer too

Riding the dingy

Some Eastern Shore corn

Lunch in the cockpit

A quick shot with the sunset just before bedtime

This one needs no title

Not to go off topic, but has anyone used a children's harness? If so, which one, I saw one in the WM catalog and am thinking of getting two.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 02-22-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-22-2010

FWIW, I bet the aft bunk on the C30 would be just right for the kids. Good luck

Old 02-22-2010

Talking Ah ha

I see some dirt there MaineSail??? Whats going on

Old 02-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is just amazing that t37chef has such cute kids... he must have a lot of recessive genes on his side of the family...
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
The best times we have as a family are on the boat! Both kids were sailing with us at two months old, the first sailboat was a 20' Buccaneer too

Riding the dingy

Some Eastern Shore corn

Lunch in the cockpit

A quick shot with the sunset just before bedtime

This one needs no title

Not to go off topic, but has anyone used a children's harness? If so, which one, I saw one in the WM catalog and am thinking of getting two.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Some good friends of ours have a couple of young'ins (3 and 5) that are on the boat what seems like 90% of their sailing days, race or cruise, and have been since they were toddlers. We've had them out with us on our boat as well and keep at least a couple of kids life jackets on board so non-sailing friends have no 'but the kids' excuses. First thought, a C30, or any boat for that matter, is a play palace for kids. Keys to happiness: snacks and drinks, favorite toys, and blankets or sleeping bags for inevitable naps. Every kid who gets on our boat just has to use the head, so be prepared. During races, kids go below for mark roundings, but other than that, hang out in the cockpit or sit up on the rail with the regulars. Kids seem to love hanging out in the quarter berth underway, particularly if you have opening ports they can see into the cockpit. We're all very supportive of their 'distraction' and just understand that's part of the deal if you're going to sail on their boat. In the end, when the kids are grown, the memories and family bonding that occurs is well worth the time spent being a bit less efficient. To the original poster, yes, learn to sail, but I'm with those in the thread that say it's never the wrong time to get the kids out on the water.
Old 02-23-2010

danmonk is on a distinguished road
our kids (now 7 & 9) have been on board since they were babies. and now it is easy and they can't wait to go out again this year.
I think barry & the others totally hit the nail on the head: one parent sails, the other one takes care of the kids. and if you are new to sailng or your boat, you may need to go out many days without kids to feel comfortable with it. the lifejacket rule is of upmost importance - our kids don't go onto the dock or up the companionway without it on, and they don't question it. totally non-negotiable rule. when they were really young & we were doing something that required both parents, then we would put them below with some treats etc, and put the bottom board in so that we knew they wouldn't be able to get up the companionway. Ya, they cried bloody murder for the 10 minutes it took to do whatever it was, but it was safer than having them underfoot. we started with maximum 2 hours sails (closest island) in calm conditions only and would time our trips for nap time or sleep on board the night before & leave early in the am, so they would be sleeping still for most of the trip. even now our boy still takes a nap when we go out (although it never seems long enough!)
hope this helps, good luck, have fun
Old 02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It is just amazing that t37chef has such cute kids... he must have a lot of recessive genes on his side of the family...
Hey, I resemble that remark

Old 02-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Damn, I thought you were never going to notice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.