Any members interested in a Cruising with Children Forum? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
We had a suprise enter our home two years ago and now the poor little girl walks with a tilt. Been aboard since she was a month old. (Mom was pulling sails 2 weeks before she was born)
We spent a lot of time looking for information about kids, expecially the really little ones, onboard. There was information but it was spread out from here to wombat land.
Might be nice to make some attempt to pull it all together.
Old 03-17-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
yeah, that's what sailnet needs- another forum.

No, I am not anti-kid, but I am anti-clutter- there are already waaaaaaaayyyyy too many underutilized categories here already simply making the index page too busy.

And if the other sites with kid-cruising sections aren't getting much traffic, then that may answer your question- a "kid-cruising" section may simply be the answer to a question that nobody has asked.

HOWEVER...
Based on a post started here last week, maybe a "kid-boat" thread may be an idea. Sorta a "kid-cruisers check in!" thread so that families can find other families- and then see how things develop from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Well now that I understand its not a kids chat room...go for it!..

You will know in short order if its warented or not and can remove it later if deemed not so...Right?

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 03-17-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Well now that I understand its not a kids chat room...go for it!..

You will know in short order if its warented or not and can remove it later if deemed not so...Right?
true

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-17-2010

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Maybe I am reading Brians OP wrong.....are we talking "for the kids to talk?" or " what/how to deal with kids issues while cruising"?

If the latter, then no, it would/should not need to be moderated more. If the first, ie kids discussing with kids, then my initial quote is correct.

Marty
Gotcha, now I see what you mean. I think he meant the latter.

Old 03-21-2010
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
CD.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Obviously not something for everyone on here, but hey it may be a case of build it and they will come......

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 03-21-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I think it is a bad idea simply because we already have so many forums and sub-forums that it is impossible to check them all.

An example is gear, electronics, and electrical systems, do we really need three forums for this ? I find it annoying to click on gear and then have to click on electronics and then have to click on electrical systems all to find out what is going on in the gear forums, and then when you post in a subforum like electronics nobody answers it because the posts are spread out so much. Maybe the diesel subforum has a use. Me, I'd prefer just "gear" that had all of those subforums posts in it.

Another example is cruising and liveaboards with the separate provisioning forum, are cruising and living aboard really so different that they need their own forums ? Maybe, I would argue yes they are different enough for their own forums. But provisioning, few people post to it even when they do have a provisioning issue, they end up posting in general or in cruising instead, because the provisioning subforum is lost under live aboard and cruising and nobody ever seems to read it or post to it. Provisioning is one of the subjects I am most interested in and even I would like to see that subforum disappear, at least that way I'd know I wasn't missing any provisioning posts by not checking the subforum on a regular basis, because those posts would be in cruising or general or somewhere else that I do check often.

So I guess I'm saying I don't like the idea of a family forum simply because I think we already have enough forums and it would end up being yet another series of mouse clicks. At some point those mouse clicks are like the sound of little mouse feet running through a maze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Obviously not something for everyone on here, but hey it may be a case of build it and they will come......
Or maybe just another oubliette for posts.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 03-21-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-21-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Wind, you could always just click on "new posts" to see what is new, but from a thread starting standpoint, I agree, it is a pain in the neck. If i have a question about my tach on my yanmar instrument panel, do i post it in gear and maintenance? elcetronics? diesel subforum? If my wife is asking the question, does it belong in Hersailnet?
Old 03-21-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Wind, you could always just click on "new posts" to see what is new, but from a thread starting standpoint, I agree, it is a pain in the neck. If i have a question about my tach on my yanmar instrument panel, do i post it in gear and maintenance? elcetronics? diesel subforum? If my wife is asking the question, does it belong in Hersailnet?
I use "new posts" most of the time, but that has its weaknesses too because it tends to decide for itself when posts are no longer "new".

Please support my
Old 03-21-2010
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post

So I guess I'm saying I don't like the idea of a family forum simply because I think we already have enough forums and it would end up being yet another series of mouse clicks. At some point those mouse clicks are like the sound of little mouse feet running through a maze.

Or maybe just another oubliette for posts.

I do take your point Windy and well yeah your right.

I certainly would love to see more info, and discussion on family cruising. Perhaps like your suggesting another subforum is a bad idea.
Really cruising with kids is well just cruising....with kids.

As an experiment wouldn't it be interesting to get rid of 70% of the subforums, let people just post under broader headings and see how it affects the flow of posts and people's ability to navigate around the site?

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.