SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Any members interested in a Cruising with Children Forum? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/62945-any-members-interested-cruising-children-forum.html)

Cruisingdad 03-16-2010 02:07 PM

Any members interested in a Cruising with Children Forum?

I would like to know what or if any members would be interested in a Cruising with Kids forum? I think we could add a sailing with kids. I am not sure there is a great (and well populated) resource on this on the net. There are a few, but I have found them pretty low on replies and threads.

I have to say upfront that although I would not stop kids from posting here, and would moderate the forum as best I can, this is not a kids forum. We do not have the ability or tools to keep any wierdos out. Keep that in mind. But I thought up those parents that might want to coordinate with other parents for get-togethers, questions on schooling, safety, preparation, and general life aboard might be helpful.

I would apprecaite the other members (and mods) thoughts on the matter. Remember, I am heading off so a lot of this will be up to you guys and gals to make successful.

Brian

tdw 03-16-2010 05:20 PM

:eek:...What a horrid idea Brian. Did you have a bad night ? Toothache perhaps ? Indigestion maybe ? Gout ? Couldn't sleep so you thought you'd share your pain with the rest of us ? ...:eek:

Good Lord !! Good Heavens !! Good Grief !!

If you encourage the blighters they'll be everywhere and into everything. There is absolutely no stopping them once they get going. What's more its rumoured that after a few years they turn into you and me. Now that is not a pretty thought.

Seriously.....I leave this one up to the parents and I guess grandparents out there. Me, I can think of nothing worse but then again I'm not absolutely convinced that cruising with adults is a winner.

Do you know that someone at our club called me a misanthrope a few weeks backs ? He was shocked that I wasn't offended. :)

ps - I refuse point blank to moderate an online creche. :p

krozet 03-16-2010 05:51 PM

not interested.

SVAuspicious 03-16-2010 07:34 PM

There are a number of fora on the subject already, including on the SSCA board, the Captains and Admirals list, and others.

St Anna 03-16-2010 07:55 PM

I think its a good idea but because of the predators out there, limit it to a forum for parents who cruise with kids - We have issues in common which a forum could solve. So no posting by kids and I vote for it.
PS I tried to warn you about wombat, he has 'gone off' again.

sailingdog 03-16-2010 08:12 PM

The fuzzy rat often goes off his meds... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by St Anna (Post 581623)
I think its a good idea but because of the predators out there, limit it to a forum for parents who cruise with kids - We have issues in common which a forum could solve. So no posting by kids and I vote for it.
PS I tried to warn you about wombat, he has 'gone off' again.

danielgoldberg 03-16-2010 08:56 PM

I think it's a great idea. Many many people sail with kids. Even if not full time liveaboard cruisers, a huge number of people cruise for weekends/weeks/months with kids, and a forum focusing on that would be a welcome addition, in my view.

smackdaddy 03-16-2010 08:58 PM

That sounds fun. I'm up.

Or am I one of the weirdos to which you refer?

tdw 03-16-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 581628)
The fuzzy rat often goes off his meds... :D

hey, no one ever said the fuzziness was on the outside , now did they ? :p

blt2ski 03-16-2010 09:10 PM

I seem to recall this beibg asked about 3-4 yrs ago, maybe 2-3............Nothing occured then for various and sundry reasons.

With that in mind, while I do not have an issue with it, it would take a bit more moderating than a normal area would. As such, It would be nice to seee folks from around the world able to watch it at reasonable intervals to keep the riff raff away, not including our fuzzy friend from down under!

In the end, I am rather ambivalent to the idea, could be good, then again, it could be bad......

Marty