Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010

mjf55 is on a distinguished road
I'm not so sure about that. In 2009 Myrtle Beach passed 14 ordinances that restrict the Harley Davidson Spring Rally that is held every year. This has had a negative effect on the number of participants in the rally. The same appears to be true for this year, many people are opting to not go. Here is just one link on the subject Myrtle Beach area motorcycle rally attendance uncertain - Local - TheSunNews.com. Now granted that the article is about Myrtle Breach and not NORTH Myrtle Beach, but it would seem that the municipalities involved just don't care for tourists..
Old 05-04-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Well, bike rallies have been known to get out of hand. I'd say there's a real difference between accosting pedestrians on the street, and trying to ban mass events that may simply overload all the civic resources.

If you've ever seen a runners' marathon on tv? It is a very different thing to the people on the route. When 50,000 runners go by and a city hasn't set up enough port-o-sans on the route, the natives tend to get REAL UPSET when the first thousand or so runners stop to pee on their doorsteps.

Perspective. It tends to look--and smell--very different up close.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2010
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I'm not interested in attempting to "change" N. Myrtle beach. Athough I have written several letters to newspapers in the area recounting my experience.
I'm just attempting to share my exp. with other cruisers as a warning or headsup to the attitude of the place and the fact it's a complete ZERO for actual cruisers traveling through that area on there way to great sailing areas like the chesapeake or when going south to the carib.
As far as changing N. Myrtle, I doubt it will change, they are entitled to wallow in there own filth as far as I care. but it doesn't excuse he manner in which they act. I hope they continue to do as they wish and am sure they will .
I only hope others who want to enjoy themselves take notice and can avoid similiar unpleasantries as I had to endure. Had I had any idea that this sort of thing was waiting for me, I would have made better effort to give the area a wide berth. And will in the future, you can be assured.
And if others reading this information enjoy being part of a community or group of people who feel this type of treatment is warranted for ANY reason or can somehow justify it by inferrig that somehow I "asked" for it or should alter my appearance to "conform" to put forth a front or false face I hope they go their and have a fine time with all the other A^^^^^^'s that feel similiarly. Maybe they can all sit around drinkng $15 mixed drinks and judge each other while they attempt to impress each other .
Not my idea of family fun, but eh ! each to there own.
I just want to keep clear of places like that, because I think they suck !
Old 05-09-2010

Yofy is on a distinguished road
joethecobbler, I completely sympathise with you. What a thing to have to go through with your daughter and wife. Unfortunatley it isn't just Myrtle Beach and it isn't just North America either. Authorties around the world can sometimes view the cruising lifestyle as a threat. We may not always dress to scratch or have haircuts, not because we don't care but because we are on a tight budget and we haven't been near "civilisation" for awhile.

I had a similar scare at the dock, in the marina, in Eilat Israel. I was meditating on the deck of our little boat at 6AM. The border police came by and almost arrested me for being a vagrant. They scared the bejesus out of me because I was "deep in the silence" when they came right up alongside our boat on the T dock and shouted a question at me. Manny saved the day by keeping his cool and going below to get my papers.

It's all about how we judge others. Really scary at times.

Robyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2010

jlrdesign is on a distinguished road
I don't know about all US states but in NY you can take your children to the DMV and they will issue them a State ID card. A not very well publicized fact.

I found this out when a friend of mine took his two kids (8 & 10yrs) a couple of years ago. The kids loved showing them off as they looked like a driver's license and the parents used it as a way of teaching them responsibility over this very important document.

My friends later also explained that it was a quick way of getting a photo of their children to all police agencies in case of an emergency as they would only need to pull up their State ID info. My friend is an adviser to the Office Of Emergency Management and always looking for ways to streamline responses to emergencies.

However, my friends had me rolling on the floor two months later when their kids were called for Jury duty...

I figured I'd pass on the tip because in this case, if the child had a State ID with them, it would have been easy to prove the identity of the child and relationship to the parent.