Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down your papers are not in order !

Today I had the misfortune of having to stop at Barefoot Landing Marina in North Myrtle Beach,SC. The winds were too high to open the swing bridge. My choices were to turn back against the wind and tides or take a slip for the night at $1.50 a foot. I reluctantly took a slip. One of the dock hands had an attitude "I can't let you tie up, you have to take a slip for the night or leave, I can fill the slip" after dockng A large motor yacht 50-60' pulled up behind me and said he was only staying for lunch, and got an "OK no problem"
So as to make the best of this lost travel day I decided to walk to the Supermarket, across town. My 6 year old daughter wanted to come along and off we walked. I purchased $60 worth of groceries, put them in a back pack (except the bread) and started to walk back to the dock.
Halfway back 3 police cruisers pulled up and wanted to see ID, asked me if I was homeless and proof that my daughter was my child. After I already said I was docked at the barefoot landing and showed a reciept, and explained we were sailing the ICW north and were being delayed by the bridge closing . they then loaded me into the police car and went to the dock and demanded to see "proof" my daughter was in fact MY daughter because they "recieved a complaint" that "an older man was seen walking with a young child" then proceeded to question her mother and us for about a half hour. Finally leaving us and all along saying over and again how they were understandably just looking out for everyones best interests.
SO, I guess I should be grateful ?
But I feel violated, and a bit embarrassed as it all took place right on the dock in front of a restaurant full of vacationers and I'm still docked here waiting for the bridge !
I think the real issue was I am an old bald fat guy who isn't wearing $100 sperry topsiders and matching polo and shorts.
They also questioned our choice of home-schooling even after we showed them our letter of intent from the state we reside in. Even asking if my daughter had ever attended public school. To which I replied "when would she ? she just turned 6 !!!"
Police state ? not a far leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's pretty disturbing but that is South Carolina.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Did you ask if there was an amber alert?
Old 04-27-2010

kredit is on a distinguished road
I guess they did give you a free lift bak to the boat,Lucky you had your groceries already ...it does seem a local called you in if 3 cruisers showed up ...which begs me to ask and Ive heard that its best not to ever talk to cops but in that situation I believe your able to ask " am I free to go if they arent going to arrest you for an "alleged" crime. everything else is just cop abuse,,asking about your homeschooling?!?!?! that reeks of totalitarianism- from the bottom up,too.
Old 04-27-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
There's not a lot you can do to cops besides ignore them and try not to end up in a jail cell. It doesn't hurt to dress the part and act polite. They can't control what you think.
Old 04-27-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kredit View Post
that reeks of totalitarianism- from the bottom up,too.
Oh geezus

I was kinda thinking along the same lines as freesail (sorry freesail) possible Amber alert type situation.

I was pulled over returning from Santana's one night ( late night taco run ) was asked for all the doc's as usual, how much I had to drink ( said I don't drink ) when ask what I did I was told to sit tight ( I did, ate a taco ) when he came back he said I was pulled over for expired tags, I told them they were current till June (this was March ),he said yeah, he saw that, but I also fit the description of a vehicle involved in a domestic disturbance at the local sports bar.

He said thanks for my cooperation............and that I had cheeze in my beard

No harm, no foul, just doing his job
Old 04-29-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Guys... I've moved the off topic drift to the OT area, you can carry on the discussion on Police rights and behaviour here:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-to...ur-rights.html

With respect to the intent of the OP, I had a (much milder) encounter when my son was in elementary school, I was unexpectedly off work one day and decided to surprise him by picking him up at school... not thinking, I kind of 'hid' behind a tree near where his bicycle was locked. Another parent waiting for a child more or less accosted me want to know why I was lurking at a schoolyard.

Initially I was offended, insulted, etc.. but later came to realize that that was a good thing and I'd been behaving like someone might with baser motives that I'd had... ultimately I had to be grateful for the vigilance.

Certainly nothing like the ordeal the OP was put through, of course......

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-29-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2010
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Similar thing happened to a friend of mine. He's got 2 advanced degrees but can look a bit scruffy and he looks a few years older than his wife. One day they were in the south somewhere and the cops accosted him. Someone had reported "an old man walking with a young girl who was eating a bag of candy." It was his wife (who is only 3 years younger than him) and indeed she was eating candy. Apparently the local do-gooders thought he lured this young thing with candy..... Give me a break!

As much as I hate to say it, if you dress the part, they leave you alone. In college I had long hair for a few months. Crossed the US-CA border 4 times with long hair, was searched 3 times of the 4. Since then, I've crossed probably 80-100times and been searched once.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-04-2010
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
in my opinion ,As well as the wriitten document formerly refferenrrd to as Our Constitution, One's mear appearance or fiancial status i not sufficient reason to suspend one'scivil rights nor isi adequate to sutain reasonable seach nd detention.
Look to the writings of our foundingfathers on this and oter topics as well as recent history (1936-9) for the results of accepting notions of "just doing there job" or "merly respnding to a complaint" A modicum of common sense as well as respect MUST be realized and actions like the ones taken by these officers must be cutailed lest history shoul repeat itself.
Or as one man was quoted as saying "wewe give up personal freedoms for safety, we will have niether"
I contend that this action was meant to send a clear message that I was not welcome in North Myrtlr Beach,SC. and it has hit it's target !
Oddly, I never had any interest or intention of stopping at this waterside trist trap . It ha little or nothing of value or interest to me and the services at the Barefoot landing dock are sub-par as is the WI-fi Sgnal, no upland facilities and rude condescending docks hands.
In the future I will go around outside or make every effort to plan accordingly to avoid any delay in North Myrtle beach,SC. and continue to convey my experience to all who will listen.
Incidently , we spent the last weekend in Beaufort,NC. during the wooden boat show and found te town welcoming and a very enjoyable stop.
We are now in Oriental,NC . and having a great time visiting folks we met last time we passed through and wish our schedule and timeline would allow us to linger longer, but we need to continue as we are looking forward to returning to all the other great places further north we have enjoyed inprevious trips as well as the new places and people we will encounter along the way.
I urge others to express there displeasure w/ N.Myrtle's tactics by avoiding the area.
Why go where your not welcome when SOOoooooo many finer places exist whith nicer folks and MUCH more of value to see and do !
Old 05-04-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Joe, I suspect you would make a bigger impression on NMB if you CC'd to their newspapers ( TheSunNews.com - Myrtle Beach News, Golf, Hotels, Homes, Jobs, Cars and North Myrtle Beach Times ) and city fathers. The town makes a lot of money from rubes, ergh, tourists, and if you simply elect to quietly avoid the town--you won't change anything.

In terms of accomplishing change, Sailnet just isn't the most effective place to raise the issue, is it?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.