Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Flying Scot

Nobody has mentioned a Flying Scot. This is a time-tested boat -- lots of them out there, very stable and great for family daysails and racing. Take a look and have fun! Flying Scot® Sailboats
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2010
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
I like the Cape Cod Mercury, been around since the 60's or maybe earlier, and still manufactured today: Mercury Sloop
Old 05-06-2010

losesightofland is on a distinguished road
I have/grew up sailing on a Beetle Cat. The massive cockpit is perfect to toss a couple of kids in, and it's a tremendously stable boat. I was racing in one alone by the time i was eight, it's a very simple boat to sail, and perfect for light air. In heavier wind, it can certainly be a workout.

If wood isn't your thing, there's the fiberglass equivalent which is the Barnstable Cat.

I've sailed it all from Optis to square-riggers, and I keep going back to my Beetle. There's nothing I can compare from the feeling of being that close to the water... sitting right at the water line... and the smell of that cedar.

I am not sure how prevalent they are on the west coast, they are build in MA. I have however seen some at the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle, so there may be some kicking around out there.
Old 05-06-2010
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
I have to second the Flying Scot. You said 18', it's 19 but it still isn't a big boat. I have one and I absolutely love it. It is a rare combination of fast and forgiving. Watch the video on the website, it's all true. I've had it out in 20-25 kts without reefing and it sailed well. Yes, it was quite heeled over and we took some water over the rail in a couple of gusts but it rounded up nicely and we were always in control. Believe me, I would have reefed if the main had a reef point, but it doesn't so we sailed on. Plenty of room in the cockpit, easy to tow, easy to launch, and I got it for free. No cons at all.
Old 05-07-2010
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Now that other Scot fans have shown up, I'd certainly add my voice to the chorus. Both the Scot and the Rhodes 19 would be great choices if the original 18-foot parameter isn't that important.

Kurt
Old 05-11-2010

octopuswithafez is on a distinguished road
Yeah I have had some experience with Flying Scots, and did enjoy them, I am wondering, though, if they are too heavy to just have up on a dock cradle or from dolly , since I am looking at either a dock or yard next to a ramp...
Old 05-11-2010
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
I can roll mine around on the trailer by hand with a hand trailer dolly without much trouble as long as the ground is fairly level. I wouldn't want to pull it up the Donner Pass by hand however. I think they're 850# IIRC, so it depends on your yard's hoist rating. I can, by myself, lift the boat and pivot the bow on the trailer when it's on the hard to get it to some different position if I need to. If it were 5# heavier I wouldn't be able to do that.
Old 05-14-2010

bb74 is on a distinguished road
if you don't mind getting a bit wet....

Open 500

open5.00.org - there are west coast distributors.

I'm # 40 and with the swing keep easy for a family of 3 or 4 to have fun for the. And this thing flies off wind!

Last edited by bb74; 05-14-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2010

JackTar6 is on a distinguished road
Did you end up buying a boat? How is it?
Old 07-30-2010

bb74 is on a distinguished road
JackTar6 - is that is a question on the 5.00, yes I own one and sail regularly. Very good family sport boat. Myself, wife, and kids of 4 and 7, works fine. Very stable (kids can stand and "run around" a bit), feels like a "real" boat in that it won't capsise, but will over power and point into the wind, pretty fast and will plane at about anything greater than 15 knots true wind speed. Kids can handle the tiller and with kids from about 12 and up they can double or triple hand it if they know what they are doing. Spinnaker and all.

Very versatile sportboat. There are the constraints of it being a sandwich and not mono-plastic boat. You need to raise and lower the swing keel (this gives the feel of the "real" boat. You can't hand launch it. Open transom means wet feet at times.

If you are a HobieCat type that likes the speed, feel, fun, but want a more tame option for the kids on a learning platform, good choice. If you're someone looking for an easy weekend skiff to play around on, better off going smaller with an RS or something of that nature and teaching the kids the joy of re-righting a capsised boat.

I'll probably go back to a Hobie or Nacra 18 foot cat in the next 4-5 years once the kids are bigger and get more aquainted with the wet stuff. That also is due to sailing on a lake (15 miles by ~4) with pretty light winds.