What Interior Arrangement Really Works for Living Aboard with Kids? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
Maybe 2 boats?
Been there done that... It DOES work great... Teens hone their independence and sailing skills, we had way more space on the boat for ourselves, more room for them to invite friends, daily raft-ups and not-so-casual racing (we never flew the kite so much as that summer! )

Even now, 10 years or more later it's a fond memory of ours and the kids' (no longer kids, of course). Trouble is not too many people will have that situation as a real possibility.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2010

BONESDILLIGAF is on a distinguished road
i was thinking boarding school...lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
self taught, looking to learn more
Old 05-27-2010

seaparrot is on a distinguished road
I want to thank everyone for the great replies. It makes sense to me to think in terms of everyone having an official "place," however tiny that might be, but not to seek absolute privacy as an ideal. Perhaps something like the Tayana 37 would work best for one child, or the T42 for two kids or more elbow room. The storage does appear to be jump quite a bit on the 42s, and the aft cabin on the center cockpit versions is often pretty roomy. I can see how that might preserve parental sanity long-term.

I notice, too, that certain boats will have a v-berth up front and a couple of very small berths aft. Some of the Passports I've seen in photos (not in person) seem to have that arrangement.

Sidenote on parrots: Admittedly, this is something I will have to look into very carefully. A friend just went through all the trouble to get his pionus parrot into the EU (he immigrated to Sweden). There was a lot of paperwork: but, thankfully, also a procedure that allowed him to get his bird recognized. Now that Fish & Game and all the rest know about the bird, I think he could get back into the States OK. His major problem was the bird flu epidemic. When he moved, EU had imposed a blanket ban on all bird imports, so his bird had to be fostered by friends for two years (!) until the ban was lifted. So .... we'll see. I suspect that it would be very possible but annoying to get a documented pet bird in and out of the USA. The rub, in my mind, is what happens when some foreign official gets involved if you draw attention while abroad. I have no idea what restrictions there are on critters that plan on staying on the boat.

In any case, it is great to hear that others have had kids on board and found various solutions. I look forward to lurking and learning more!

Last edited by seaparrot; 05-27-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaparrot View Post
I want to thank everyone for the great replies. It makes sense to me to think in terms of everyone having an official "place," however tiny that might be, but not to seek absolute privacy as an ideal. Perhaps something like the Tayana 37 would work best for one child, or the T42 for two kids or more elbow room. The storage does appear to be jump quite a bit on the 42s, and the aft cabin on the center cockpit versions is often pretty roomy. I can see how that might preserve parental sanity long-term.

I notice, too, that certain boats will have a v-berth up front and a couple of very small berths aft. Some of the Passports I've seen in photos (not in person) seem to have that arrangement.

Sidenote on parrots: Admittedly, this is something I will have to look into very carefully. A friend just went through all the trouble to get his pionus parrot into the EU (he immigrated to Sweden). There was a lot of paperwork: but, thankfully, also a procedure that allowed him to get his bird recognized. Now that Fish & Game and all the rest know about the bird, I think he could get back into the States OK. His major problem was the bird flu epidemic. When he moved, EU had imposed a blanket ban on all bird imports, so his bird had to be fostered by friends for two years (!) until the ban was lifted. So .... we'll see. I suspect that it would be very possible but annoying to get a documented pet bird in and out of the USA. The rub, in my mind, is what happens when some foreign official gets involved if you draw attention while abroad. I have no idea what restrictions there are on critters that plan on staying on the boat.

In any case, it is great to hear that others have had kids on board and found various solutions. I look forward to lurking and learning more!
The difficulties your friend faced was typical of what to expect. Now expand that from not just one country, but multiple countries every few miles (referring to the carib).

The TV(Tayana Vancouver) 42 has a LOT more storage than the 37. Sleeping quarters would be better too. I would suggest considering the aft cockpit version too as it would allow a great lazarette and a second stateroom that has room for two kids. The nice aspect of that is that the second sr also allows a nice pilot berth for when under way as communication between the cockpit and berth is easy. The begative of this and most aft cockpit arrangements is that there is not a lot of great air movement in the aft berth.

A negative of a double ender (like a Tayana) is the loss of room compared to a comparable sized vessel. For example, consider our boat next to mom and dad's:

See how the aft is carried back and that allows a lot more space/LOA. You will find this 'sugar scoop' more typical of the modern designed boat. I personally feel that a sugar scoop is the preferable design for a boat with kids. You will find that you are constantly getting on/off the boat and we swim off the back a lot. As such, getting on/off is a lot easier than with other designs where there is not a 'boarding transom'.

Other things we look for are spaces where the kids can play (legos, puzzles, board games, etc). Kids like to spread out. Many 'blue water boats' are very tight down below. THis restricts the places they can play. You will find that although they sometimes play in the berths, they will generally spill into the salon (as it should be). So be thoughtful of how and where teh kids can play and where you can be when they are. We spend a lot of time in the cockpit and back in our private State room where we can escape from the kiddos while they are doing their thing. It keeps everyone sane.

Good luck with it all and feel free to ask questions.

See ya out there!!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-27-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Our son and daughter shared the V-berth in our 33' boat from infancy to the ages of 7 & 9 and then we moved to a 41' Morgan OI without the "walk-through". We spilt the huge aft cabin port & starboard for small, but adequate cabins for our children until they left home as adults. This totally separate aft cabin was perfect for us and our children. Privacy and comfort are available on a boat in the forty foot range with the proper layout. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 06-22-2010

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
We live aboard a St. Francis 44 cat with our now 6 year old son and a baby on the way. Planning to cruise again when baby is 2.
While we have a separate cabin for our son, he doesn't use it yet. For sleeping we have a big family bed in the master cabin... and he is JUST now starting to hang out in his room for fun every now and again. Basically, boat families are pretty tight knit, and we don't necessarily want to be away from each other. When we do, we go outside. Even though our boat is big for a family of 3 (soon to be 4) we tend to be in a puppy pile in the same place most times. Just offering a different perspective.

You can see examples of everyday life aboard and the layout in our blog (I think the link is in my sig??)

best of luck to you!

Old 02-23-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Re: What Interior Arrangement Really Works for Living Aboard with Kids?

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I am wrestling with the same problem.
Advice on a Caribbean Cruiser

I am trying to find a boat that can carry a family of 5 for a year. I am coming to the conclusion that each kiddo needs their own single berth than can be LEFT UP.

I am hunting for something with three singles that are aft or pilot, then a v berth for us.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 02-24-2013

TheLostGirlsMom is on a distinguished road

We have a Westerly Centaur which has 2 quarterberths one for each of our daughters ages 20 months and 4.5. It works perfectly as they each have their own space. We plan on leaving the docks this fall for a sail down the east coast on to Florida for the winter.
Old 02-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I am trying to find a boat that can carry a family of 5 for a year. I am coming to the conclusion that each kiddo needs their own single berth than can be LEFT UP.

I am hunting for something with three singles that are aft or pilot, then a v berth for us.

One thing you might consider.. boats built primarily for racing (racer/cruiser rather than cruiser/racer) often had layouts that included outboard pilot berths and/or pipe berths that kids quite like. We previously owned a 40 footer with such a layout.. not any kind of sumptuous finish like a true cruising boat, but not too bad either. These boats typically sell for less, often they are limited runs or one-offs, on the plus side they are usually well equipped, esp the deck gear (winches, etc) Sometimes the cockpits are not cruiser friendly but we got lucky there too.

The pilot berth shown here was originally a pipe berth, we converted it to fixed to create extra storage behind/underneath.

Aft, we had 4 more pipe berths.. the lowers were usually given over to gear bags, the kids used the uppers. Advantage is the ability to level them out at angles of heel..

Not a bad cockpit either...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-24-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... what should I look for in the 36-39' range to find pipe berths?

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.