Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010

beachpotato is on a distinguished road
cruising grounds for kids

where would it be easiest for kids to make friends w/other kid boats. obviously, there would be a pretty high density of them in the caribbean, but what about the med? asia? s. pacific? oz? etc...

Last edited by beachpotato; 06-23-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Over the past 6 or 7 years we've done most of the Caribbean chain between St Maarten and Grenada... by far the bulk of the cruisers we saw/met were couples. I have no memory of seeing skads of kids on the beaches or wandering the towns and villages. Certainly there were some, but not so many as to be noticeable or common.

Summer cruising here in the PNW, OTOH, is quite different - more family oriented since it doesn't really involve the full time cruising scene and families in the growing stages generally require the support of a day job(s) of some sort. So there are plenty of youngsters enjoying the 'holiday' and we've seen a lot of quick friendships develop in the various anchorages along the way.

I could be dead wrong, of course, but it seems to me that the full time cruisers are mostly empty nesters that finally have the time and resources to support that lifestyle.

We do, however have our own exception to that situation in our own Cruisingdad, currently offshore with his family in a manner that most of us can only envy.. (except for the Catalina, of course )

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 06-23-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2010

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Children are fairly scarce in the cruising community. They tend to try and arrange their parent's itinerary so that they can meet up. The children of one-child-boats are often quite lonely.
Old 06-23-2010

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I agree with Faster.. Lots of families cruising in the PNW. They all congregate at the docks for shrimping in the evenings..

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 06-23-2010

saltydawg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
Children are fairly scarce in the cruising community. They tend to try and arrange their parent's itinerary so that they can meet up. The children of one-child-boats are often quite lonely.
I completely disagree. When we were in our 20's and cruising (east coast, bahamas, etc) we were on the hunt for other young couples and all we met were families with kids (and of course the gaggles of retirees). We managed to eek out a group of other 20-something couples, but we were a rare sight. That is what made my husband and I decide to cruise again when we started a family, because we met SO many kids. I just think theu don't hang in the same circles as the retired couples, so you may not notice them.

Also -- one child dcoes not equal lonliness. That is an outsiders uninformed opinion. We have an only at the moment (though I am pregnat with another) and he plays just as happily by himself as he does make friends with new kids as he does hanging out with adults. Kids are not scarce, you will find them and you'll form your own tribe. Don't let the naysayers get you down, just get out there and have some fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.