SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   health insurance for cruising families (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/67106-health-insurance-cruising-families.html)

cruisingmom 08-06-2010 09:27 PM

health insurance for cruising families

Hi all. As always, appreciate your helpful advice
Heading out cruising soon and looking to purchase health insurance, with premiums that won't cost too much of our cruising budget. ( We are a family of 5)
Does anyone have any recommendations for this??

Does anyone have experience ( good or bad) with :
1) Blue Water insurance: Seven Corners: Reside Blue
or 2) Blue Water, Seven Corners:Liason Majestic
or 3) New York International Group , International Major
Medical Plan?

All three backed by Lloyds of London.
We have also contacted Diver Dan, which is a good supplemental.

Other thoughts?
We need both US and International coverage.
Thanks CM:)

cruisingmom 08-06-2010 10:21 PM

one more, Atlas Travel Series, through HCC international. Has anyone had experience with this one??

cruisingmom 08-06-2010 10:36 PM

or citizen secure, citizen secure economy, also through HCC, also backed by Lloyds THANKS . :)
CM

JohnRPollard 08-07-2010 04:14 AM

Mom,

No first hand experience on my part, but this is an important topic so I hope you'll hear from others, and that you'll share your results as you work toward a decision.

You know how this works, so we'll just thank you in advance for volunteering to become the resident Sailnet expert on family health insurance for cruisers. :D :D

cruisingmom 08-07-2010 05:19 AM

Thanks John, will do!

cruisingmom 08-07-2010 02:10 PM

Does anyone have experience with Maritime Citizen Secure/ through HCC and Lloyds???? This seems like the best plan. Any thoughts??Thanks again CM :)

CapTim 08-07-2010 05:28 PM

I don't have any experience, but i'll be tuning in to see what comes out of it.

Looks like there aren't many insured cruisers who post here, though :D

W3ODF 09-18-2010 03:26 PM

Good question. I came across this on the Hacking Family.com website about cruising the world:
Medical: We have used International Medical Group in case of catastrophic illness. We pay about $400/child/year and about $1,300/adult, with a big deductible. It's only valid for people living outside the US. Canadian cruisers may not have to worry about this. All the medical care we've needed has been so inexpensive in the Third World that we've not even claimed on the insurance, but it does add up. Sue's back-work in Curacao came to $1,000 for X-rays, MRI, medications, and physical therapy. We've probably spent $1000/year on dental work here and there. When we went back to the US in the fall of 2003 we had insurance through Jon's work, but also paid out of pocket another couple thousand in medical care.
Cruising Expenses

F4d3d 09-18-2010 04:40 PM

I've been using DAN for traveling, and of course, diving. I think it's quite good value, but as of yet, I haven't had to use it, so I can't comment about their post-accident actions.

billyruffn 09-21-2010 08:48 AM

I have no personal experience with the “international” policies, but have friends that do. Their policy required that they be outside the US six months a year. I’d read the fine print carefully because you wouldn’t want to have a policy that wouldn’t cover you if you had to return to the U.S. for medical care.

This is slightly OT, but our very limited experience with routine medical care outside the U.S. (mostly in the Caribbean), has been that it is very good and very cheap relative to what you’d pay here. I’m considering having a routine surgical procedure done next time I go back to the Caribbean because it will cost 1/10 of what it would here.