Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010

schdennis is on a distinguished road
baby seat attached

I had some wood left from the new cockpit floor and built a tilting attachment for a baby seat:

It rocks! Our newborn daughter will be sailing with us from the very beginning

Anyone else sailing with infants on a pocket cruiser?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Very cool. A gimballed baby seat swing... Only one suggestion, put something over the ends of the hooks so that the baby seat can't hop out of the hooks if the boat comes down off a wave or such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-09-2010

In that case, I'd have to secure the wooden frame, too, as it rests there only with its weight. We don't expect waves bigger than some inches on our lake.
The most simple way would be an additional cord from the handle to the wood or mast foot.
Old 08-09-2010

Spinsheet08 is on a distinguished road
FYI....CHILDREN under the age of 13 must wear a PFD at all times while aboard a boat. Only exception while the boat is NOT underway, and below.

I have a 23 month girl. A year ago, we got her a PFD, put it on her. We had her get used to it by filling our bathtub with water, and her float in it.

Last edited by Spinsheet08; 08-09-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on the state you're in. Different states have different requirements. It also depends on the boat you're on, since different size boats have different regulations apply to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinsheet08 View Post
FYI....CHILDREN under the age of 13 must wear a PFD at all times while aboard a boat. Only exception while the boat is NOT underway, and below.

I have a 23 month girl. A year ago, we got her a PFD, put it on her. We had her get used to it by filling our bathtub with water, and her float in it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-09-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Very nicely done!! She'll probably love it, and so will the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schdennis View Post
Anyone else sailing with infants on a pocket cruiser?
Not anymore. But when we started out, we had a potty-trained toddler and twins in diapers aboard our 24-footer. Those were great times!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-09-2010

@Spinsheet08:
I have a PFD for children above 22lbs, which was the smallest I found. In my area, wearing lifebelts or vests depend on the directives of the responsible skipper, which is me. This includes adults and children as well. The mandatory part covers equipment only.
And believe me, I am responsible enough to secure my daughter ;-)

Last edited by schdennis; 08-09-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: inserted name of meant person
Old 08-12-2010
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
We've had our now 3 month old out twice. The PFD is an issue. We purchased the thinnest PFD we could find but still- its just too bulky and hot for her and she screams the entire time. We strapped her into her seat which we attached to the cockpit floor via padeyes. We were willing to take the hit from the Coast Guard if need be. She was not in any jeopardy as she was secured to the boat and we were sailing in almost perfectly flat water with winds no more than 5 knots. Had it gotten a bit rougher, we would of course donned PFD's or taken the baby below. It should be easier once she is a bit bigger but tiny babies and PFD's do not mix well. The smallest PFD was still too big and had she gone over, I bet she would have slipped out, even with the crotch strap.

I like your baby seat idea! We had a similar idea and were going to use the Arm's Reach Cocoon sleeper. That was before we discovered that all of our chain plate bulkheads are rotten and must be replaced. Can't see us sailing again for oh, another 6 months or so. Ah well, at least we can skip the sea cradle lol.

Our little blog has moved!
Old 08-13-2010

saltydawg is on a distinguished road

Old 08-13-2010
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
That works great solong as you areb't heeling!

Our little blog has moved!