Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010

cgaskell is on a distinguished road
nice mahi mate! but how did your wifey like the newly painted deck?? that's the problem! thing about a mahi is when it's brought on board it better be well sedated!! some people will surely be able to relate to that one - i have some serious stories about mahis. on another note, cedar plugs are tried and tested, and they last longer than plastic squids if a barra decides to log on. and you can be certain that it will, probably more than any other fish in the sea!!
@ cruisingdad, thanks for the comment, i'm affraid i was desperately trying to get my post count up to 5 so i could respond to a PM. actually, what i do with all fish i am lucky enough to catch is use the long gaff (v. important if you carry some freeboard), lance the throat behind the gills with a sharp knife, noose tail with an old piece of braid (core removed - grips much more securely) and return it to the water. there it will bleed away from my decks. tuna only need a couple of minutes, as do wahoo and mackerel family. but i wouldn't trust a mahi after an hour. those fellas have an admirable survival attitude - lots of you think it's dead but in a brave last show it flips a slippery flip out of your hands and back to the deep blue!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaskell View Post
nice mahi mate! but how did your wifey like the newly painted deck?? that's the problem! thing about a mahi is when it's brought on board it better be well sedated!! some people will surely be able to relate to that one - i have some serious stories about mahis. on another note, cedar plugs are tried and tested, and they last longer than plastic squids if a barra decides to log on. and you can be certain that it will, probably more than any other fish in the sea!!

The blood washes off fairly easily. In rough conditions I fillet them in the cockpit. I sedate the little fishies with a squirt bottle filled with good Dominican rum. I could use a longer gaff as my freeboard is pretty high and the gaff is a tad short. When I first started years ago I used to sedate them with a kid's baseball bat. First time I tried it I missed the fish and hit my topsides (no damage, CS36 is a tough boat). The second shot I took at the fish I dropped the bat into the ocean, had to go back and get it. Rum is easier, both for the fish and myself!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2010

cgaskell is on a distinguished road
keep your eyes peeled for bird activity - the gulf is fairly expansive and seeing a bunch of birds diving is worth diverting your course to troll by. certain fish, like tuna and mahimahi are often, if not always, given away by birds. there's nothing more exciting than anticipating a big strike!
fishing is a great thing to be interested in, as it can never be fully satiated, a real fisherman always wants to catch a bigger fish, and if he's caught the biggest already, then he starts trying to do it on lighter tackle or using more skilful means! and fishing is intricately linked to boating, so if your son continues to be into fishing, he'll be boating with you for a while yet!
Old 10-22-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
yeah, not just the gulls--the other morning i was out fishin and saw an osprey just flippin dive bomb then fly right over my head with a fish in his talons... pretty awesome sight. when dockside, the blue heron keeps me informed--he is one of the most patient fisherman ive ever met

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 10-22-2010

TheWhiteRabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie60 View Post
I've found "The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing" to be very helpful.
Amazon.com: The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing (9780071427883): Scott Bannerot, Wendy Bannerot: Books
Haven't read it yet, but the second I read this post (and reading the reviews here and @ the amazon link provided) I went out and ordered this title through the Barns & Noble down the street. as an avid fish fiend, and a wannabe sailor, this title appears to be a great read, with good straight forward directions/suggestions.

although this is not my thread I would like to thank you for this suggestion.
and to the OP for starting this thread, and everyone else for there personal experience: this thread is an fun read
Old 10-26-2010
Panhandle Sailor

dreuge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Try this:

Sail Delmarva: Yo-Yo Fishing

We have many rods, but we catch more with this minimalist gear, because we use it more. As for lure types and locations, local knowledge rules.
A quick question on using a hand-lining Yo-Yo-ing. What is the perfered method of line retrieval with fish on. Do you just hand retrieve the line into the boat, or do folks hand wind the Yo-Yo spools?
Old 10-26-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreuge View Post
A quick question on using a hand-lining Yo-Yo-ing. What is the perfered method of line retrieval with fish on. Do you just hand retrieve the line into the boat, or do folks hand wind the Yo-Yo spools?
Using gloves haul the fish in as fast as possible, hand over hand. The main thing is to get the fish in fast. You can always sort out the line later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2010

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
[Fitted my new combo fishfinder with an in hull transponder so keen to try it out. Was going to head off for a few days but when I rang my old fishing mate (87) he was hoping that I was going to ask him out as he loves fishing and through various health problems for him and his wife hasn’t been out for about a year.

So I agreed to an afternoon fishing. Naturally I hoped that the $2000 and some days trying to fit this thing in, when the deadrise is greater than the max allowed, would pay off.

Nada, various fiddles and it only showed .4m intermittently. Not many fish in the top .4m. Back to the drawing board.

So motored a few miles and stopped in 15m. The old guy had 3, then caught a double header in the first 15 minutes while I was messing around with soft plastics and a reel that wasn’t behaving. Swapped back to pilchards and started to catch them. We put back about 6 which were legal but too small and kept 16 snapper and 1 kahawai . Nothing huge but nice fish. We could have got our limit of 2 more easily but left after just over two hours to squeeze through the channel before low tide to avoid waiting another 2.5 hours or so.

Who needs fishfinders? So one happy old fella.

The rest of the story. Sigh. He tied the bow lines. I let go the midship line and tried to attach the sternlines. Stern swung out and I couldn’t hold it even in only 10 knots or so. Hanging on by fingernails to the boat and the dock with my toenails I became nearly horizontal.

The conversation went “Harry I wonder if you mind pulling on the midship rope.”
“Why?”
“Because if you don’t I will fall in the next 30 seconds.”
Splash. Problem I couldna get out.. Some yelling and sending him looking eventually saw a very brawny bloke turn up and haul me out. Thanks mate. Pity you left the dock before I had re-gathered my wits sufficiently to give you some fish. Lucky I had taken my cellph and wallet out though not the carkeys.

My fault though it would not have happened if I was on my own - like that anyway. I adjust the lines from on the boat and know the lengths.

Might happen other ways though, despite safety harness, and having bought a waterproof bag for the hand vhf that morning. Must get or make an accessible rope ladder. I had it on the list. The thing is while when younger I could swing my legs up, now I really think it has to be long enough to go at least a few feet under water so will have to be fairly long.

IMG]http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh472/chris_gee_photos/IMG_0141.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by chris_gee; 10-27-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2010

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Afternoon dreuge,

I prefer to use hand lines for trolling while sailing. On occasion though a stout pole is handy when you are in mahi or wahoo country .

I have sailed and fished all along the west coast of Florida and have always had good luck with the setup described in a thread I created on one of the other sailing forums. Pretty easy to make and not expensive.

A Simple Handline for Trolling while Sailing

A bunch of the guys with kids around the marina made pairs of them up and the kids have been having a ball catching fish.

Hope you give it a try and good luck with your fishing.

Regards, John

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330

Last edited by Whampoa; 11-04-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
or you could always try this!

Early Show, The View, Regis and Kelly Recap - Yahoo! TV

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture