SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Sailboat Fishing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/68905-sailboat-fishing.html)

dreuge 10-08-2010 12:55 PM

Sailboat Fishing

Hi,

I am look for tips for fishing from a sailboat. I sail in the FL panhandle area, and for the most part, I have been bottom fishing with shrimp while at anchor. We have caught most pan-sized fish: gulf kingfish, cats, and small sharks. I have also trolled (3-4 knots) using a silver spoon. Been lucky less.

I search the forums, and was surprised that I did not find much sail-fishing info.

Does anyone have a tips or suggestions to better join sailing and fishing. My youngest kid loves fishing, and because of our better success on the hook, we find ourselves spending now actually sailing.

Thanks.

Paul

QuickMick 10-08-2010 01:24 PM

as a matter of course i have significantly more success w/live bait--while there is more a 'skill' factor w/artificial. i tend to use live (or at least 'real') bait, as i find its much more fun to go 'catching' instead of 'fishing.'

the hotmaps (fishing hot spots) card for the GPS has A LOT of underwater features marked, even classifying some as 'fish attracters.' you can also get them on paper. im also an avid believer in sun/moon calculations affecting fish activity as well as water temp. generally i have the most luck at dawn/dusk in temps significantly cooler than summer surface temps.

the humming bird helps a lot in finding bait balls.
happy catching!

Selkie60 10-08-2010 01:37 PM

I've found "The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing" to be very helpful.
Amazon.com: The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing (9780071427883): Scott Bannerot, Wendy Bannerot: Books

St Anna 10-08-2010 01:44 PM

I always troll a line and now exclusively with a spoon lure. (must be clean - no stain or rust at all). I use a game rod as the tricky part is to land the fish into the boat. For me thats when they will fall off the hook. We use a net as well.

Often have to let out the mainsheet to try and slow the boat to make it easier to bring in the fish. I dont fish in bad weather or at night.

We use metholated spirits in a pump spray - a few squirts down their gills will kill them quick. Bleed the fish in a bucket. Gut and behead it immediately, fillet it straight away and into packets for cryovac or fridge for the nights meal.

mmm, licking lips just thinking off fresh fish.

We have to tether the cat away as she will walk on the rails to get some fresh fish. She gets enough off cuts to keep her happy, but she would really get in the way.

deniseO30 10-08-2010 02:01 PM

There are no fish in Chesapeake bay. don't believe the stories :)

QuickMick 10-08-2010 02:09 PM

Saltwater Directions Fishing Charts for Florida

Hunting and Fishing Solunar Calculator, Sunrise and Sunset Times

st anna, you have a cleaning table rigged? just a big cutting board?

pdqaltair 10-08-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreuge (Post 652498)
Hi,

I am look for tips for fishing from a sailboat. I sail in the FL panhandle area, and for the most part, I have been bottom fishing with shrimp while at anchor. We have caught most pan-sized fish: gulf kingfish, cats, and small sharks. I have also trolled (3-4 knots) using a silver spoon. Been lucky less.

I search the forums, and was surprised that I did not find much sail-fishing info.

Does anyone have a tips or suggestions to better join sailing and fishing. My youngest kid loves fishing, and because of our better success on the hook, we find ourselves spending now actually sailing.

Thanks.

Paul

Try this:

Sail Delmarva: Yo-Yo Fishing

We have many rods, but we catch more with this minimalist gear, because we use it more. As for lure types and locations, local knowledge rules.

sailingdog 10-08-2010 02:56 PM

While you can troll from the stern of a sailboat, there are other options. Me and my crew regularly flyfish or cast from the ama decks of my boat. Having a boat that is 18' wide has some advantages there.

tgzzzz 10-08-2010 08:03 PM

I doubt that a flyrod and a beamier boat is helpful advice for the OP.

What works for me (I hestitate to say every time) while trolling is to use a small down rigger ahead of the spoon. This gets the spoon below the surface commotion and is killer on blues and Spanish mackeral here on the banks. While not as "sporting" as flyfishing perhaps, I eat fish often. Nothing however equals fishing around structure. Structure equals fish. The boat doesn't matter at all.

lapworth 10-08-2010 08:13 PM

If you try trolling at night ( no motor ) turn on as many lights even spot lights around your boat this will attract fish and keep your lures near the boat.