Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Challo,

Congrats!!! I think you already know how I feel aboutthis subject. As mentioed above, you need to put together a kit for kids. We use dry antibiotics (you can order from pharmacy that way with prescription and just add water) and EpiPen Jr, used to carry diaper rash stuff, a great lifejacket (only Mustang with head support and crotch strap), and find a way to be able to secure them in their berths. We used a home made crib side that fit across the end of the Vberth.

I have always felt that boats themselves are pretty childrpoof to begin with.

Only concerns/cautions is that the first 6 months of having a baby... they seem to get sick all the time. Being your first, you won't know a real issue from a diaper rash (well, take that back, if you are a nurse/MD with pediatric training, you will). But it's hard as first time parents when to know not to run them to the ER. SO keeping close to areas where a major hospital or solid doc office was imperative for us. Also having a close relationship with a pedi office that has 24 hour on call and maybe even the pedi's phone number was imperative for us.

It really is not hard and baby's are very easy. Each age for us has had challenges, but they were fun challenges and we have memories of a lifetime, as have the kids.

Again, congrats!!! Been doing this for 10 years (with kids) and am happy to answer any questions, as always. I am running off for the holidays, so be patient if I don't reply.

Brian

PS Forgot - don't anchor near trimarans. They flip over in the slightest wind and have a dog barking all night.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Congratulations! You won't be the first to cruise with a baby and it sounds like you both are more qualified than average so I would think no worries. I've read that babies up to a year old can't get seasick, one reason to go early!
elspru likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-16-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Congratulations.
I agree absolutely with all of the above responses and could not have expressed it any better.

Of course SD has to realise that couples often end up having kids. Maybe he could google it for some info. Even he must have started out as an SP perhaps.

Old 12-16-2010

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Thanks guys!

Brian after having read previous threads, the Mustang lifejacket is already on order! ( It is of course not available in Australia readily so currently on it's way from Canada not without some drama...)

My wife and I are actually kind of looking forward to the first time we will get to take bub out on the boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
PS Forgot - don't anchor near trimarans. They flip over in the slightest wind and have a dog barking all night.
elspru likes this.

Old 12-17-2010
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
So when we tell them that we are actually still planning a year long sabbatical cruise for about June, up the coast, a bit of the Pacific and see how we go......looks of instant horror seem to appear on the faces of experienced and in-experienced folk alike as they begin to gesture wildly at my wife's belly and begin exclaiming "but the baby!"

Are we crazy to still be considering cruising??
I spent the first three years of my life onboard my parents' 39'er in the South Pacific and SE Asia. This was back in the good ol' days of cruising when men were real men, GPS was science fiction, and you only had two choices for an anchor. I seemed to survive other than apparently nearly buying it c/o malaria.

My parents will and do readily recommend raising babies and young children onboard. It sounds like you're on top of the health thing. Teach the little tyke to swim before s/he can walk and you'll be in business.
elspru likes this.
Old 12-17-2010

neoxaero is on a distinguished road
The bumfuzzles are doing it - and doing it pretty well it would seem!
Old 12-17-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
'much good advice above. We were cruising before our two children were born, during their infancy, and now still with them off with their own families. There are great benefits that come with the family on board. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
elspru likes this.
Old 12-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith View Post
I spent the first three years of my life onboard my parents' 39'er in the South Pacific and SE Asia. This was back in the good ol' days of cruising when men were real men, GPS was science fiction, and you only had two choices for an anchor. I seemed to survive other than apparently nearly buying it c/o malaria.

My parents will and do readily recommend raising babies and young children onboard. It sounds like you're on top of the health thing. Teach the little tyke to swim before s/he can walk and you'll be in business.
Thanks Craig!
Wow what a great introduction to the world IMHO.

Now let me try and guess what anchor you would recommend as being proven best for encouraging infants to sleep soundly while at anchor

Old 12-21-2010
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Ah, but it's their mothers' ability to sleep soundly that's far more important...

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 12-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith View Post
Ah, but it's their mothers' ability to sleep soundly that's far more important...
Touché Sir. Touché.