Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010

tugboat is on a distinguished road
Hello all. I'm new to the sight and am glad I found this specific section. My wife and I sailed around the San Juan's in WA state with our 3 wk old (first) and later when she was two and her sister was on the way. We've been saving up and are within a year of heading back to the east coast to buy a boat and head south. I'm looking for advice as to routes similar to the island hopping mentioned above. I know the Bahamas fairly well having lived there for a few years and sailing around. I don't know much about farther south. Any books or advice would be greatly appreciated. We'll probably be on a 27' to 32' boat. I would like a Vega but we'll see. The children will be five an two. I look forward to hearing from some folks out there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Congratulations on your new crewmember... we just had our first, four months ago, but haven't taken her sailing yet. Not for not wanting to, but it's a long commute to the boat and we keep having other things to do on weekends.

I am gonna echo the sentiment that babies are simple. However, I have seen parents carting around loads of gear for their kids that to a large extent is unnecessary. I don't know how big your boat is, but carrying stuff to and storing stuff on my boat is a big limiting factor for us. Anyway, here's our plan for when we do start taking her sailing, which will hopefully start in January or February with daysails on weekends:

1) If you're breastfeeding, you don't need to bring special food for the baby, and her immune system will be stronger.

2) If you're doing EC, you don't need diapers either.

3) Entertaining babies is easy, too: learn a few sea shanties; my daughter falls asleep to The Flying Dutchman.

4) Forget strollers and prams; get a good front carrier. It packs up small and keeps your baby feeling warm and safe. If you use public transit to get to your boat (our trip is about two hours with three transfers) a stroller can be a hassle. There's really no place in our boat for a car seat, so there's no incentive to bringing it along. Mommy can keep the baby in the carrier and work the tiller while daddy handles everything else.

5) Don't go out of your way to be quiet around your baby, for example when she's asleep. You don't want her to depend on quiet when there's always noise on the boat.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, of course, because we haven't actually taken ours to the boat yet. We'll probably start with a weekend spent at the dock just to see how she "fits" on board; you never know, she could hate it, but I doubt it.

Good luck, and keep us apprised!
Old 12-23-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
With infants it's not going to be the baby who may 'hate it' (boating).. They really don't care where they are as long as their needs are met. It's the parents' ability to adapt that will be key, and probably most especially the mother's.

A child will sense and key on a mother's anxiety, which can ramp up that anxiety and you'll have a vicious cycle. Trying a simple overnight at the dock is not a bad idea just to work out some of the logistics, but you'll still have to think through/and do the 'underway' part of it too, of course.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-23-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Chall,
We'll be out of here from sometime soon until late January, weather permitting. Guess you'll be a dad by the time we are back so best wishes to you both (you three ? ) and I do hope all goes well.
Cheers
Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-23-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey Fuzzy—

Have a merry christmas and a happy new year and safe travels...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-23-2010
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Chall,
We'll be out of here from sometime soon until late January, weather permitting. Guess you'll be a dad by the time we are back so best wishes to you both (you three ? ) and I do hope all goes well.
Cheers
Andrew
probably yes...27th is the pretty due date they have given us, but it apparently doesn't really in the scheme of baby making mean an awful lot! These little critters despite modern technology and obstetricians best efforts still do as they please.

Thankyou. Which direction are you guys heading??? We are going to go out for a just few days after Christmas. Merry Christmas to you and the Wombette, hope the weather is a little kinder than what they are predicting and would love to see photos and hear about it all when your back!

Thanks for the advice and thoughts Adamlein/Faster,
one of my concerns was a boat full of baby stuff! We have invested in a decent baby carrier especially for cruising. We are both big walkers when we cruise.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 12-24-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Thanks SD, thanks Chall.
We'll be around until NewYear's Eve, head out of Sydney before the insanity starts.
Chall,
We plan on heading down to Jervis, Ulladulla and possibly Bateman's Bay and Eden. All dependent on the weather of course, and that is looking a tadge dodgey.
We shall see.
rgds
Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-05-2011
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
It is about time I gave a little update on this thread.......

I am delighted to say my daughter Sophie entered the world on Wednesday!!!

Mum and bub both doing rather well, although it is a touch warm here in Sydney. Currently 42' celsius.........which is about 108 Fahrenheit.

She at 2 days old has yet to have her first sail.... but it is certainly on the cards

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 02-05-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Cheers to you all, best wishes for the future.

Touch warm ? You could say that.