Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Sailing with a 4-year old? Yes, my daughter has come on most trips since she was born.

Can you think of anything (lets stay on-thread) more fun than taking a 4-year-old to small beaches? That is the main thing with kids; they enjoy the exploring more than the the hours of sailing.

Single handing with a small child? Depends on the child to some extent, but I did it many times. As stated above, tethers are a must. Set the example by wearing one too and it's no problem; the child will see it as part of being a "big" sailor.

Like adults, children are all different. Keep it light and keep it safe.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Did you officially get your 9? Add my yes to your stack.

They make and sell toddler size PFDs for this reason. Just get one that fits very well or wearing it becomes a problem. You all might have to wear one to make it work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-23-2011

tweitz is on a distinguished road
Bought our first boat when our middle daughter was 6 weeks old. All of our kids went sailing throughout their lives. Now our grandchilren have their turn. Our first, our one grandson, went sailing at 6 weeks; each of our other three have gone sailing as infants. Our grandson will be 4 this summer and talks about sailing a lot. To be sure, the infants are easier than the toddlers and bigger kids; they are required to wear lifejackets and we pay close attention. We also usually do shorter sails and sail quite conservatively when they are aboard. BUt they learn to sail and learn to love it and are quite safe.
Old 02-23-2011

sausagebarn is on a distinguished road
One thing to consider is your wifes ability to handle the boat in your absence. I have been sailing with my wife and 3 kids (all under the age of 7) for a while when it dawned on me that my wife had never really learned to sail. If I went o/b she would have her hands full. I have been giving her basic lessons over the last few years but this year she decided to enroll in some more intensive classes b/c when we are on the boat she has to devote too much attention to the kids.
Old 02-23-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausagebarn View Post
One thing to consider is your wifes ability to handle the boat in your absence. I have been sailing with my wife and 3 kids (all under the age of 7) for a while when it dawned on me that my wife had never really learned to sail. If I went o/b she would have her hands full. I have been giving her basic lessons over the last few years but this year she decided to enroll in some more intensive classes b/c when we are on the boat she has to devote too much attention to the kids.
I don't intend for this to be a wise crack....

Don't fall off. If it were a 1,000-foot cliff, would you allow yourself to fall off? No. Mid-ocean? No. Wear a harness, to set the example, and don't fall off.

Also, sailing kids MUST learn that their may be times when they need to do EXACTLY as told without question. This voice must be reserved only for safety matters and NEVER wasted on misbehavior, no matter how severe. The two must be separated. At 4 years my daughter would ignore me when I said "clean your room", but if I said "harness and on-deck now" in the middle of a thunderstorm she would do it every time, because she knew it was safety, not something optional.

Much of the cruising I have done was with my daughter and me; no fall back option, but neither would I have a fall back option sailing alone. You have to stay focused and move deliberately.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 02-24-2011
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
All of our kids started sailing way before they were 4.

On deck up until 5 or so they have to wear a PFD and be in a harness. We also make sure that they are watched by an adult that's NOT the helmsman.

Saw a "keep it under 5 kts" comment - we definitely do NOT do that-

Lee rail awash and flying, the little ones get used to that pretty quick.

Last edited by cormeum; 02-24-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-24-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
Sail with a 4 year old?!?

Make them work for it! Here's our son at age 3...

FWIW, my parents had me on a pearson ariel at age 1 month while racing for the St. Francis Yacht Club. They just put me in a hammock in the cabin and I swung all over the place, but didnt fall down. For our son, we always have him in a life jacket and he is always clipped to jacklines when he wanders past the cockpit.
Old 02-24-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
For your wife...

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-24-2011

tweitz is on a distinguished road
It is important to get them to work early.

Old 02-26-2011

bobber is on a distinguished road
I started taking my daughter out on San Francisco Bay in my Cal 27 when she was 5. She and her friends loved the cabin and V-berth. We tried to make sure conditions were light since it can get rough out there.