Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012

shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Before my youngest turned two he had been sailing in the Apostle Islands, BVI, Duluth and San Diego bay. He has "sailed" our twenty two footer, had a few excursions on a Catalina 36 and spent a week on a Beneteau 323.

He wears a lifejacket and tether any time he is out of the cabin. When any or all of our three children are on board we always wear lifejackets and we always take it easy. We are always the first ones with the second reef and storm jib.

My first wife was involved in a caspize/sinking as a kid and it put a serious crimp in my hobby... my second wife loves sailing and I want to keep it that way!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012
amyspins

amyspins is on a distinguished road
sailing camp

Lucky Kid!

Last summer was the first summer for sailing for my 4-year old and I'm looking forward to this summer she'll be five and able to do more to help out - which will make it more fun for her- but right now she's claiming she doesn't want to sail. Hoping that will change with the weather and summer fun.

I've signed her up for a little guppies sailing camp-two hours a day for a week- just an intro to sailing really - but she has to pass a swim check - It's for ages 5-7 - so now we are working on her swimming skills - she is pretty negative about the idea of sailing camp -aargh!

I'm trying not to pressure her - but I'll feel so much better when she can swim. I think I was born swimming so it's been hard for me to deal with resistance from her when I try to teach her. I guess that's a typical mother daughter thing - so now lessons for swimming too - she takes direction so well from the teenager running the class-

All money and time well spent so mommy can continue her sailing obsession this summer with good conscience.

Wish that now I could get my husband onboard!
Old 02-22-2012
Lost on the water...

wright1d is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhervy View Post
Seems that you all have wifes that are into sailing. I'm hopping mine will get there and that it will become a "family activity" (note that we also have a 2 year old). Until then, I may have to singlehand and/or go with friends.

Would you singlehand with a 4 yo?
I think this is OK since he would be tethered to the boat and we would be cruising...not racing. Thoughts?
We bought our first boat a 31ft Allmand 3yrs ago when my daughter was 4 & my son was 6months. We bought the boat in NJ and brought it the 1000+ miles back to Lake Erie with my 4yr old and wife on board (The little one stayed with grandma). My 4yr old did well with it & still talks about that trip. I think 4 is a great age to start as they listen pretty well, can get their own drinks, and can help a bit.

I won't lie day sailing for the first two years with my son at 6 months and 1.5 was not very much fun. He would not sleep on the boat and if he did his sister woke him up and it really ment only one of us got to sail while the other got screamed at. Last year at 3 he did pretty good and finally learned to sleep. I'm looking forward to an even better season now that he will be 4 this year! One just has to remember that there is not much to do for kids while sailing so we bring the DVD player, a few toys, & play a lot of the games we used to play on long road trips when I was a kid. The kids both really like the longer trips we take better then day sailing. I suspect it has more to do with the fact we play in the water more, search out play grounds, and of course ice cream!

I have single handed with each of the kids on board. I worried less when my daughter was about 5 but they both really like the time alone with me they get while we are on the water and my daughter loves to invite friends to go out with us for day trips.
Old 02-26-2012
NYC Sailor

MylesK is on a distinguished road
Yes, of course! My wife, 4-1/2 month old daughter and I are moving aboard our boat.

Safety is of the utmost priority.

Kids under 12 MUST MUST MUST always wear a USCG approved PFD while on deck.

And we're going to make sure our daughter is also harnessed and tethered until she's 18. :-)
Old 02-26-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Done it. Depends on the child and the parents.

The child has to be well-behaved and capable of going places (shopping, store, car ride) without throwing fits over inattention or boredom or "Idonwanna". Able to be placed in a life jacket because that's what we do above deck, period, no debate or argument.

Which all speaks to how the child was raised.

Given that, and given a spare hand to take care of the child? No problem. Just plan ahead, limit the time out, consider seasickness, sunburn, boredom, all the usual childcare issues when there's not going to be a 7-11 around.
Old 05-22-2012

hmurmur is on a distinguished road
4year olds

http://voyages-of-paradox.blogspot.com

Check out our web page. Been cruising with our kids since they were 6 months old. Not stopping now!
Old 05-23-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: 4year olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurmur View Post
http://voyages-of-paradox.blogspot.com

Check out our web page. Been cruising with our kids since they were 6 months old. Not stopping now!
Nice little site. I like the fish swimming around especially!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-23-2012

grandcapri is on a distinguished road
Sailing with a 4 year-old

Had my daughter out when she was only 3 months old, random wave thru the hatch gave her a taste of sea water.. The same with my son..
Learned that I was pretty good at solo sailing while my wife tended to the kids.
Any time is as good as any to get their sea legs.. It is after all, a family activity.
Old 05-29-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing with a 4 year-old

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcapri View Post
No it's not my F'ing boat dumbass!
Is that all you clowns do is surf comments so that you offer your **** wisdom? TROLLS!
Does someone need some milk and cookies, and a bit of quiet time?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-29-2012

MITBeta is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing with a 4 year-old

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Does someone need some milk and cookies, and a bit of quiet time?
More like a time-out...