Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011

jfhervy is on a distinguished road
Sailing with a 4 year-old

Would you go sailing with a 4 year-old?

My wife agreed that I could buy a boat ONLY if I can get 9 sailors to answer "yes" to this question.

I sail on San Francisco Bay and plan on buying a 27 to 30 ft to take the family cruising.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Yep. We started sailing when the youngest was 4 and the oldest was 7. They loved the v-berth...and now love sailing 3 years later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-15-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Our daughter began sailing with us when she was 6 weeks old, both weekends and on our bi-annual cruises, and pretty much continued that until age 18. When she was 16, she and a group of 7 other teens and two instructors sailed a Beneteau 53 from St. Maarten to Trinidad over a period of 5 weeks. Upon returning home she declared she liked our boat much better! (She and her mother routinely handle our First 42 quite well).

Go for it. With a few reasonable safety precautions; and, tailoring your schedule and cruises to the needs of your wife and daughter, you'll do fine and it will give you great memories to draw upon when you're an old guy.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 02-15-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhervy View Post
Would you go sailing with a 4 year-old?

My wife agreed that I could buy a boat ONLY if I can get 9 sailors to answer "yes" to this question.

I sail on San Francisco Bay and plan on buying a 27 to 30 ft to take the family cruising.
We've been sailing with our daughter since she was an infant.. She's now four and is a seasoned pro. I grew up the same way, on boats before I could walk or talk..

Feel free to show your wife this:

Adventures With Zozo (LINK)

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-15-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Both of our children were cruising with us from infancy until they left as young adults. When they were very young we always assigned which adult was on child watch; we kept to rules about their boundries while under sail and when life jackets were required. I think the moving running rigging is the greatest risk and need to set boundries, but the answer from my wife and I is yes. We didn't choose to cruise with our children for the purpose of developing a close family bond, but it was a bonus and without regrets. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 02-15-2011

jfhervy is on a distinguished road
Seems that you all have wifes that are into sailing. I'm hopping mine will get there and that it will become a "family activity" (note that we also have a 2 year old). Until then, I may have to singlehand and/or go with friends.

Would you singlehand with a 4 yo?
I think this is OK since he would be tethered to the boat and we would be cruising...not racing. Thoughts?
Old 02-15-2011

estopa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Seems that you all have wifes that are into sailing. I'm hopping mine will get there and that it will become a "family activity" (note that we also have a 2 year old). Until then, I may have to singlehand and/or go with friends.

Would you singlehand with a 4 yo?
I think this is OK since he would be tethered to the boat and we would be cruising...not racing. Thoughts?
This past season was my first on my own boat and took my 5yr old out all the time. Just have him/her tethered when in the cockpit and wear life vest at all times. He had a blast, although he is more into the destination vs the journey aspect. He loved gunkholing a lot. Enjoy!!!
1986 Oday 222 #686
Old 02-15-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I would say that SF bay plays a bit rougher than most areas that being said my kids went sailing on the J24 before they and after they could walk

I have always found the bigger issue to be how comfy the wife is with sailing as if she has fear the kids will have fear

To this day my now 23 and 26 year old children will NOT go on a race with my wife on board

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 02-15-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Seems that you all have wifes that are into sailing. I'm hopping mine will get there..............
My wife wasn't "into" sailing in 1969 when we met, but by 1973 she was captaining all female crew racing teams. There's much room for adapting!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 02-15-2011

UrbanChicago is on a distinguished road
My son has been sailing on Lake Michigan since he was 10 months old. We have a few rules though:
1) Supervised by an adult with absolutely no other responsibility on the boat
2) In a comfortable life jack anytime they are on deck
3) We keep the boat speed under 5 knots anytime he is on board

Kids love boats!