Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011

michaelkent is on a distinguished road
You could give them simple things to do. Just remember not to make tasks too hard and keep them interested in order to keep them from becoming bored and thus annoying you. I remember my first time on a boat with some family friends...I think they got over me very quickly as I was bored and the work was too hard and so I complained about everything! =p

I'm sure you can find a way to make it fun for them! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2011

BLOD is on a distinguished road
Just came back from a week's sailing in Greece with a 10 and 8 year old. I was amazed how easy it was with them. No DS etc or DVD. We sailed in the day. Stopped for lunch and a swim/dive/bomb off the boat.

Took lots of art supplies and they are both confirmed readers! The 8 year old read a whole novel in just 4 days.

Let them have an old digital camera and binoculars to use just for them and they really enjoyed that. We all know how engrossing it is trying to snap a photo of a dolphin!

They were superb sailors and were very competent by the time we finished. They had their cabin and used it lots. Didn't even get the chess set out.

Evenings were ashore having dinner then story time. Didn't miss the DVD ir DS iPod etc even on a day when it poured down.

Really great family time.

Last edited by BLOD; 06-08-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
A few things we do when sailing with our 4&6 yr olds...
  • Play Tub of some sort, I use one of those plastic storage bins with locking tops, this is good for several hours of fun.
  • Playdo
  • A cheap digital camera
  • Fishing
  • Dingy Rides/Beach combing
  • Puzzles
  • Helping with the various activities...navigation, cooking, cleaning, etc...
We do a have a DVD for times when we need them to be entertained while we need to sail the boat, not much can hypnotize them as well as a movie My 6 year old is into the iPod now, which I also have no problem with, in fact I encourage it, I think music appreciation is important, after all my wife is from Austria

Video games, now thats another story.

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-08-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2011

dragging the toy vessels behind is fun too...forgot that one...good for at least an hour, if not two
Old 06-17-2011

Boatinglifeaway is on a distinguished road
Bring lots of Play Doh so they can make sea animals or castles like they are on the beach. Bring lots of cookie cutters that are sea animals. The DVD movies of Ariel or any related cartoons about the ocean will get them excited.
Coloring books related to sea or print some pages of the Internet. Bring kids books on seas and islands.
Old 06-26-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Lots of books, we got a kindle which is best purchase for boat, we do have nintendo dsi and other electronics but keep them on time sch to play. They r great for storms or when rainy, etc. I was against them b4 liveaboard, not now. Kids looooove fishing and if u get a decent dink and motor u can knee booard and intertube. Kids favorite for us is intertuibing but we have 15 hp dink and can fip them$ so make it not boring. Card games work out for us better than board games and kids love pOker (withj chips obv not money). Swimminmg off the back, buy a kite for good days, good snorkel gear. Also, we got two small nets and if u got to shore and let them scoop up sand with net just at breakers u will get millions of things. We got a sea horse onmce, lots of crabs, etc. Always a mystery. We carruy football, glove and bball, several frisbees as they seem to love to disapear and good water balls. Under way and long passages such so not a lot of great suggestions biut making them part of crew. Hope this helps. Sorry for typoos as i am offgrid and typoing onm bberry.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Sorry for typoos as i am offgrid and typoing onm bberry.

Brian

LOL......sure
Old 06-30-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Damn Brian....no excuse looking like one of my normal posts

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-01-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Damn Brian....no excuse looking like one of my normal posts
Hey - I got a reputation to uphold! You and T37 can bite me! Be nice or I will post a pic of me in my bathing suit, drinking a beer in one hand and Shun knives in the other (minus a few digits now).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-15-2011

Christian Winkler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian Winkler
Please contact me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamstimer View Post
LOL, kids will always be kids no matter the age
Hello Dreamstimer,
being a new member I am yet not able to send a PM to you, so I hope that you will view this message and send a PM to me - or an email. (See profile)
I stepped into the children forum because I´m about to present a children sailing project soon. Reading your thread I noticed that you are located in Romania. That´s the reason why I would like to get in contact with you. My mentioned children sailing project would perfectly fit into Romanian coast area and we look out for partners to discuss chances and risks of local engagement.
Looking forward to your reply!

Greetings from Christian
100 Peace Fleets worldwide!