Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard/extended trips with 3! kids

So we have been planning on making a very big plunge of taking half a year off and doing a liveaboard - probably the VI.

We have read lots of books, blogs etc etc, but one thing I have noticed is a trend. All the families that do this usually have at most 2 kids, and a smattering of girls.

Can parents with 3 energetic boys pull this off?

Apologies about implied gender bias there, but I *do* think girls make easier first mates in the 3-10 years old range!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
I think CruisingDad has boys that age and is successfully cruising now - anyone have a link to his blog?

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-16-2011

This?
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/members/cruisingdad.html

Latest blog post:
Old 03-16-2011

Looks like he only has a pair of first mates (or maybe one is a cabin boy )

Latest blog post:
Old 03-17-2011

jes767 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
So we have been planning on making a very big plunge of taking half a year off and doing a liveaboard - probably the VI.

We have read lots of books, blogs etc etc, but one thing I have noticed is a trend. All the families that do this usually have at most 2 kids, and a smattering of girls.

Can parents with 3 energetic boys pull this off?

Apologies about implied gender bias there, but I *do* think girls make easier first mates in the 3-10 years old range!
Yes, if you carry an adequate supply of manacles and leg irons.
Old 03-17-2011

lol

Latest blog post:
Old 04-17-2011
wanderer

dohcdelsol93 is on a distinguished road
how far are you straying away from land?

once i get some sailing hours under my belt i plan on making a trip to the gulf in the winter for some sailing around the keys islands to escape what we call winter in the caolinas.

I plan on sailing from morning to about noon. After that stop at the nearest island for camp the rest of the day. Only spending nights/ morning hours in the boat will be much easier on everyone. The dogs will also appreciate the time out to run and stretch. I won't ever be leaving the site of land so stopping points for me will not be much of an issue. I'll also hopefully avoid all the afternoon thunderstorms.

If me, my 2 kids and wife were all stuck on our venture 21 for a week solid....there would be a fight!
Old 04-17-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcdelsol93 View Post
...............I plan on sailing from morning to about noon. After that stop at the nearest island for camp the rest of the day. Only spending nights/ morning hours in the boat will be much easier on everyone. The dogs will also appreciate the time out to run and stretch. I won't ever be leaving the site of land so stopping points for me will not be much of an issue....................
Since a month has passed I'll follow the thread drift. We've cruised the East Coast US for many years, including the coastal hops and ICW route from the Carolinas to the Keys. Is this your route,- you mentioned a gulf? Plans to find an island to stop and camp at each noon are not realistic. There are some good places for this, but they won't be presenting themselves frequently or by your schedule. What is the route that you are considering? Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 04-17-2011
wanderer

dohcdelsol93 is on a distinguished road
I live in the upstate of SC so i'll be trailering the boat to the keys.

I've yet to set a destination to set sail. Hopefully not far from the hundreds of uninhabited islands that are around the keys

the orginal plan was to take a trailer full of kayaks down there and camp on the islands. Basicly fishing and hopefully manatee sight seeing.

Now that i've aquired a sailboat and found out that the wife and daughter only like kayaking down rivers (lakes are too much work) so the kayaks are out.

I've also had issues finding out just what islands you can camp on. I'm not into camp grounds, i prefer true primitive camping. Leave nothing behind but foot prints kind of camping.

The dogs also like island camping. The smaller the island the better, that way it's easier for me to clean up after the dogs and i don't have to worry about them disturbing the wildlife.

with the sailboat i'm not acutally planning on caming on the island, only hanging out on the beach all day.

Last edited by dohcdelsol93; 04-17-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Ah,- now I see the plan! I just didn't see it working for the coast from the Carolinas, but it can happen in the keys. Probably best on the bayside, though there's a shortage of sandy beaches. There's an amazing stretch of white desolate undeveloped wilderness beach at Cape Sable, but no easy protected anchorage. Also, some very nice protected places out the "Big Spanish" channel west of Marathon. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.