Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011

moggie is on a distinguished road
All I can suggest is games games and more games, Board games are the best. Was caught not long ago holed up hiding from 40knt gusts and pelting rain for seven days. Would not have survived without monolopy, uno, checkers (and chess) cards - all the things that was done before play stations were invented......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2011
Call me Ishmael.

Daddyo55127 is on a distinguished road
I have similar problems with my 9 and 11 year old. Sailing just seems to be too quiet for them. I think we will try boat-camping next (I have a 16' daysailer, so no cabin).

Ice cream works. So does fishing or trips to remote islands for exploring.
Old 09-23-2011

Cherie320 is on a distinguished road
A small toy boat that can be towed behind on a string. Be ready to practice MOB drill to pick it up when the string gets loose.

Racing rubber ducks. Yes you have to pick them back up before they get away too far.

Play pick up Dad's hat when it blows overboard.

Riding on the bow with Mom or Dad, given safe conditions. Take turns.

On the tip over thing. The best solution that I have heard about was that lucky boats sometimes have the Troll named Keel living under the boat. The Troll Keel is very strong does not like it when the boat tips, so Keel holds the boat from tipping too far. Sometime kids have to help Keel by letting the jib or main sheet out a bit. Sometimes Keel makes funny growling sounds, but the kids usually catch Dad pushing a button when that happens. It's often good to investigate the bildge to see if Keel is down there. (Disclaimer - not my story - search SA for the Troll named Keel - just love it)

Stay safe.
Old 10-01-2011

MITBeta is on a distinguished road
I like the Troll Keel story...
Old 10-03-2011

Cherie320 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITBeta View Post
I like the Troll Keel story...
We liked it too when we read it. Ought to be a different version for the Lee and Weather Helm Troll, but I'm not a smart enough children's writer to work it up.

My wife has an uncle who liked to distract a kid and then put a small fish on his line. Then he would call the child back to pull in the fish. Really had a great time, with the kid and then telling the parents after. Went a little sideways with our boy. He made uncle clean and aunt fry it up for him. After all, he caught it.
Old 02-12-2012

Powerdude is on a distinguished road
Wow, I almost sputtered coffee all over when I read the troll keel story.

Good job !
Old 02-22-2012
Lost on the water...

wright1d is on a distinguished road
Get a book of games for road trips. We play a lot of ISpy, I'm going on a trip and taking something bigger then a bread basket, etc. Thinking your kind of stuck with short trips for now though... Our min trips are 3hrs with most being 4 or more by the time we get to the lake from the river we keep the boat on & back.
Old 02-22-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
A 4-year-old might be a little young for this, but I've had pretty good luck keeping kids entertained by doing a quick plankton tow and showing them the results in a glass jar. I realize that not everyone has access to an "official" plankton net (it's one of the many advantages to being a card-carrying Marine Biologist, unlike this guy: clicky-clicky), but you can pretty easily fashion one out of a wire hoop and the leg of an old pair of pantyhose (regular, fine-mesh ones, rather than the "fish-net" kind, SmackDaddy). It should look like this:

Just knot the end (so it doesn't still look like a stocking when you bring it back on deck) and tow it twenty or thirty feet behind the boat for five minutes or so. You may have to add a lead fishing weight or two to get it to sink properly. When you bring it back up, turn the net inside out as you dump the contents into a large glass jar full of sea water. The planktonic critters will last for an hour or more (at least some of them), as long as the water stays cool. The same thing also works in lakes, but there just isn't as much stuff to see (either in total quantity, or overall diversity). The results will look something like this:

Magnifying glasses will give everyone a better view of the critters (most are on the verge of microscopic), but tend to trigger Mal de Mar in some folks.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 03-21-2012

gus_452000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Daysailing activities for young kids

Let them have a go at the wheel, something seems to be pre-programmed in to us all, and almost (famous last words) all of us can hold a course, and my youngest now 9 can do it far better than some older ones can!
Old 03-25-2012

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Re: Daysailing activities for young kids

you might want to look at this:

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.