SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Looking for sailing partner parents (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/75168-looking-sailing-partner-parents.html)

turbulicity 06-09-2011 02:16 PM

Looking for sailing partner parents

We are located in SF bay area (Redwood city). We have a 4 year old son and we live aboard a 50' sailboat.

We are new to boat ownership and sailing. I would love to meet other parents of young children who find it hard to get out sailing alone and who would like to have their child make little sailor friends. With my kid, either me or my wife would essentially be single handling.

So, PM me or post here if you'd like to partner up and go out sailing together on the weekends.

Faster 06-09-2011 02:46 PM

What we've done in the past was invite our son's school friends for trips/weekends. It was kinda cool because we were able to introduce kids to sailing that would not likely have been, and the friend was a known entity as far as getting along with our son.

You have enough boat to invite your child's friends AND their parents if you wanted to.

turbulicity 06-09-2011 02:51 PM

We thought about that and we definitely want to do it in the future. But for now, we don't have enough experience to take full responsibility of the boat without risking anything and anyone. So it would be nice to partner up with sailor parents.

Silvio 06-09-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 738952)
What we've done in the past was invite our son's school friends for trips/weekends. It was kinda cool because we were able to introduce kids to sailing that would not likely have been, and the friend was a known entity as far as getting along with our son.

You have enough boat to invite your child's friends AND their parents if you wanted to.

Now THAT is a good idea. I say go a step further and invite the whole class + teachers and call it an educational, hands-on, field trip. $$Bill$$ the school and finance your sailing plust get free crew, I see no reason why 4-5 year olds can't manage boat poles and dock lines :laugher

I bet you will be single handing her in no time quite comfortably and having a winderful time doing it.
Enjoy your new boat!

groggy 09-20-2011 05:54 PM

That is a beautiful boat. My son is only two yet, and I have some sailing training, but not enough experience to feel comfortable sailing with him yet. That said, if I knew more or had a slightly older kid, I would be onboard in a second.

imagine2frolic 09-20-2011 06:14 PM

Maybe write to Lat38, or run an ad there?........i2f

imagine2frolic 09-20-2011 06:16 PM

Oh yeah, and post on your bulletin board in the marina. If you're at Petes, post at the restaraunts too......i2f

turbulicity 09-20-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groggy (Post 777378)
That is a beautiful boat. My son is only two yet, and I have some sailing training, but not enough experience to feel comfortable sailing with him yet. That said, if I knew more or had a slightly older kid, I would be onboard in a second.

Thanks groggy. Our kid is actually getting used to sailing now but still we find that a small kid aboard basically takes one adult out of the crew count. So if I go with my wife and the kid, I am single handing the boat. We are at a point now to try just that. Hopefully by the next summer, we will be comfortable enough to invite non-crew guests. I will make sure to post here and invite you aboard.

imagine2frolic, thanks for the suggestions. We are in Pete's harbor. I didn't try to post on the bulletin board but I think we pretty much know everybody around. There could be some weekenders with the kids that we don't know about so posting is still a good suggestion.

Christian Winkler 09-23-2011 05:48 AM

Hi Turbulicity,
we had sailing cruises with our 5 children every year (from age 3 up to 14), and you are right in your opinion: until reaching the age of 7 you need full time attention of a grown up responsible person. After some cruises we found out, that it was easy to find students to do this job. They can get into sailing while taking care of the small kids - they got some pocket money and were happy to join us.

GMC 09-23-2011 02:31 PM

Chekc this out.

Check this site. This family is in SF bay and has been for a while with young children. Only downside is that their countdown clock on their site indicates that they are finally cutting the lines and going cruising in 1 hour. If nothing else, the site is informative for families living on board.
Forgeover —