Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
Looking for sailing partner parents

We are located in SF bay area (Redwood city). We have a 4 year old son and we live aboard a 50' sailboat.

We are new to boat ownership and sailing. I would love to meet other parents of young children who find it hard to get out sailing alone and who would like to have their child make little sailor friends. With my kid, either me or my wife would essentially be single handling.

So, PM me or post here if you'd like to partner up and go out sailing together on the weekends.
searigo likes this.
Old 06-09-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
What we've done in the past was invite our son's school friends for trips/weekends. It was kinda cool because we were able to introduce kids to sailing that would not likely have been, and the friend was a known entity as far as getting along with our son.

You have enough boat to invite your child's friends AND their parents if you wanted to.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2011

We thought about that and we definitely want to do it in the future. But for now, we don't have enough experience to take full responsibility of the boat without risking anything and anyone. So it would be nice to partner up with sailor parents.
Old 06-09-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
What we've done in the past was invite our son's school friends for trips/weekends. It was kinda cool because we were able to introduce kids to sailing that would not likely have been, and the friend was a known entity as far as getting along with our son.

You have enough boat to invite your child's friends AND their parents if you wanted to.
Now THAT is a good idea. I say go a step further and invite the whole class + teachers and call it an educational, hands-on, field trip. $$Bill$$ the school and finance your sailing plust get free crew, I see no reason why 4-5 year olds can't manage boat poles and dock lines

I bet you will be single handing her in no time quite comfortably and having a winderful time doing it.
Enjoy your new boat!
Old 09-20-2011
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road
That is a beautiful boat. My son is only two yet, and I have some sailing training, but not enough experience to feel comfortable sailing with him yet. That said, if I knew more or had a slightly older kid, I would be onboard in a second.
Old 09-20-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Maybe write to Lat38, or run an ad there?........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, and post on your bulletin board in the marina. If you're at Petes, post at the restaraunts too......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggy View Post
That is a beautiful boat. My son is only two yet, and I have some sailing training, but not enough experience to feel comfortable sailing with him yet. That said, if I knew more or had a slightly older kid, I would be onboard in a second.
Thanks groggy. Our kid is actually getting used to sailing now but still we find that a small kid aboard basically takes one adult out of the crew count. So if I go with my wife and the kid, I am single handing the boat. We are at a point now to try just that. Hopefully by the next summer, we will be comfortable enough to invite non-crew guests. I will make sure to post here and invite you aboard.

imagine2frolic, thanks for the suggestions. We are in Pete's harbor. I didn't try to post on the bulletin board but I think we pretty much know everybody around. There could be some weekenders with the kids that we don't know about so posting is still a good suggestion.
Old 09-23-2011

Christian Winkler is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian Winkler
Hi Turbulicity,
we had sailing cruises with our 5 children every year (from age 3 up to 14), and you are right in your opinion: until reaching the age of 7 you need full time attention of a grown up responsible person. After some cruises we found out, that it was easy to find students to do this job. They can get into sailing while taking care of the small kids - they got some pocket money and were happy to join us.

Greetings from Christian
100 Peace Fleets worldwide!
Old 09-23-2011

GMC is on a distinguished road
Chekc this out.

Check this site. This family is in SF bay and has been for a while with young children. Only downside is that their countdown clock on their site indicates that they are finally cutting the lines and going cruising in 1 hour. If nothing else, the site is informative for families living on board.
Forgeover —