Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
You would be surprised how many docs have no idea what drugs interact with what foods/natural remedies!
Why would I be surprise? They all all human. There are good sailor and there are bad sailors. Find a doctor who are current with theses stuff and care about his or her patients

I know my stuff. If i am not so sure, it is so easy to check the references online. If one had the proper pharmacology training, it will take a few min to sort out the options and course of the action. It is not so difficult and they can consult their friendly pharmacists.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I suggested you go to his doctor not because he needs another medication, but the doctor is a professional and knows about drug-drug interaction potential and interactions with natural remedy.

If your child is currently on 10 medications, there is a chance the drugs and combination may cause him more prone to motion sickness. Just wanted to remind you that natural remedies are not harmless.

Of course, the easiest way is kept your child away from boat. But then there may just a telltale sign of some other underlying problem. It is your option if you are willing to seek advise from his physician.
Please read my post again. I said "If I went to a doctor for a perscription for all his precieved problems I would probably have him on 10 drugs at this point- including ADD. I'll go with the natural stuff. "

My two kids (age 4 and 7) have never been on any medication. They have never had an ear infection (swim in the ocean regularly) and are rarely sick. When they do get sick we never medicate- just let it run its course instead of masking the problem with some drug. If the kids get seriously ill, I have no problems with going to the doc or hospital- just think we as americans are seriously over medicated.

Last edited by casey1999; 08-01-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
casey-
"He is fine at the beach " then he does not have a problem with the smell of the ocean. There's a communication problem. perhaps he's smelling diesel or mildew someplace on the boat, and calling that "the ocean" ? Diesel fumes are unnoticed by some folks by cause seasickness in others.
There's something not quite gibing here, I'd make sure you weren't on a wild goose chase because of a miscommunication.
Old 08-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
casey-
"He is fine at the beach " then he does not have a problem with the smell of the ocean. There's a communication problem. perhaps he's smelling diesel or mildew someplace on the boat, and calling that "the ocean" ? Diesel fumes are unnoticed by some folks by cause seasickness in others.
There's something not quite gibing here, I'd make sure you weren't on a wild goose chase because of a miscommunication.
I have questioned him as to if it is when the diesel runs he gets sick. He says no. The diesel will make me feel sea sick! I think it is motion sickness, but he does not really know what is making him sick (or understand why motion makes him sick) so he thinks it is the smell of the ocean.
Old 08-02-2011
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
When I was a cop sometimes I would fly with a non pilot in the other front seat. Flight would begin well with the other guy talking like normal. Then he would slowly get quieter and quieter. I would look over and see the beads of sweat on the forehead and new something was going to happen quick unless............... drum roll please......give him something to do. Worked every time for me. I would say Hey John, want to fly for awhile? Even though it was his 1st time in a helo (intuitive in flight) he had no problems.
So in the beginning try letting your kid take the helm. I think it may work.
BTW ginger does work well.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
When I was a cop sometimes I would fly with a non pilot in the other front seat. Flight would begin well with the other guy talking like normal. Then he would slowly get quieter and quieter. I would look over and see the beads of sweat on the forehead and new something was going to happen quick unless............... drum roll please......give him something to do. Worked every time for me. I would say Hey John, want to fly for awhile? Even though it was his 1st time in a helo (intuitive in flight) he had no problems.
So in the beginning try letting your kid take the helm. I think it may work.
BTW ginger does work well.

Jerry

Agree with you, I try to get the kid involved with steering, sailing and navigating, it helps- I just need to keep working with him. I know with me if I start getting sea sick and then start to dwell on it, I will get full blown sea sick. If I take my mind off it it usally goes away or at least I do not lose my lunch.
Old 08-03-2011

almca is on a distinguished road
Is he frightened? In our enthusiasm we tried too hard to make our 3 boys like sailing. The speed and heeling we loved in a strong wind, made them nervous, they wanted to know how we got back up if we capsized! We hadn't thought to explain how unlikely that would be in a 10.5 ton keelboat! Our 14 yr old gets sea sick, he doesn't like ginger, but that has worked for others in the family, he does use the accu bands, it is important to put them on half an hour or so before you hit the water, and he takes himself up into the fresh air when he needs to, and we pulled back a bit and sailed more gently for their pleasure with more time for swimming etc.
The main thing is he just really doesn't much like sailing, and you can't make them! And if they're not having fun then any discomfort is magnified!
Best of luck
Old 08-03-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
I grew up far from the ocean, yet I am very resistant to motion sickness. I believe it was because of the extreme amount of time I spent swinging on a swing, or spinning on a merry go round. When I was a kid these were both common playground items, now they are rare.

Maybe instead of "throwing him into the deep end", You find activities, non ocean related that develop inner ear strength.

The smell could be a trigger, (fishy smell?), but the "cure" will most likely be exposure to motion in small doses until he gets used to it.
Old 08-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
I grew up far from the ocean, yet I am very resistant to motion sickness. I believe it was because of the extreme amount of time I spent swinging on a swing, or spinning on a merry go round. When I was a kid these were both common playground items, now they are rare.

Maybe instead of "throwing him into the deep end", You find activities, non ocean related that develop inner ear strength.

The smell could be a trigger, (fishy smell?), but the "cure" will most likely be exposure to motion in small doses until he gets used to it.
The boy does not get motion sickness (other than maybe on the boat). He has swings at home and at his school. I also find it interesting swings are dissapearing- too many lawyers I guess. I was speaking with his Pastor yesterday who went commercial fishing with his father out of Hawaii when growing up since he was 4 years old on a 40 foot boat. He told me he used to get sea sick really bad. The diesel smell, and the heat of the sun contributed to the sea sickness. He used pickeled ginger root and said it helped settle the stomach. I will try the ginger. Looking at sailing with the boy this weekend as long as conditions not to bad. Calling for winds to 30 knots with 8 foot seas. To respond to other post- he always stays on deck when sailing for fresh air and is not afraid of boat heel or sinking. I now take him on the down wind leg with only a reefed jib so boat heel and motion is much reduced. My S&S 34 has a realatively good motion to her.
Old 08-03-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Fresh water... There are sailboats on fresh water (I know you got the tonnage on salt)... rental for a day maybe? If he still gets sick then it isn't the salt water no?

Cabin? No cabin time. Stay above decks. My little one (8) gets sick if she spends any time down below decks (lack of air flow?)... She is quickly developing her sea legs though (sounds like no problem for yours)..

Another option is very short trips, slowly increasing time. There might be a medical issue, but I lean towards there not being, just a very sensitive inner ear. Could be vertigo, but same deal.

Also sometimes working the deck forward is a more "airy ride" that prevents sickness. I provides a different bounce than the cockpit. A life jacket and a ride on foredecks can be "fun" and help mitigate the sickness. At that age I liked sitting on the bow pulpit, as we crashed through waves (got sick as a dog below decks under sail). Just my $0.02