Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011

almca is on a distinguished road
I second the idea of the foredeck, Cam who at 14 is old enough to express how he feels sick (quite forcefully!) spends quite a bit of time up on the bowsprit. But sadly if you're destined for sea sickness i'm not sure there's much you can do about it. Having grown up sailing and loving it, my sister would turn green at the sight of a lake and hated it and while she could tolerate above decks could not go below. Only time to my knowledge she has NOT been seasick was while pregnant...I think I'd stick with ginger!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Myself and a freind took the boat out on Friday, planning to go up to Waimea bay and anchor and meet my 7 year old boy overnight and sail back the next day. I had ginger cookies on board. NOAA was issuing near gale conditions and we had sustained winds at 30 knots all day and gust to 35 with 8 foot wind swell. Conditions were pretty crazy. We sailed for several hours and then took the boat back to the dock as the winds were forcast to be even stronger the next day. Will try the same trip in two weeks (with hopefully less wind) and let you know how the ginger works.
Old 08-10-2011

chartscharts is on a distinguished road
I have no idea if this would be appropriate for your seven-year old, so you and your doc should decide, I'm not a doc...

....but for my kid (he's 11 now, but sailing with me since 4 or 5), after talking with his doc, we give him a little Dramamine.

The side affects can make him (or anyone) sleepy, but what we do is cut it in quarters by breaking a pill in half, then breaking it again. At that small dose, there does not seem to be any side effects that he can notice, but it takes the edge of the motion.

Much fun ensues...

As others have said, he's not choosing to feel sick and probably isn't faking it. Some folks are more susceptible than others. A tiny bit of the right over the counter solution (if it's appropriate for him) might turn on the fun.

-Charts
Old 08-10-2011
Big Chicken Baby

Mimsy is on a distinguished road
Casey good luck on your next attempt. Have him nibble a few cookies before you leave. Also, see ifyou can get a few sips of ginger ale into him before hand. If sea sickness hits, you want him to take small sips of cool- not cold ginger ale. Some little guys think it tastes too "spicy" and we've had success cutting it with water for those what feel that way. Let us know how he does!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Our little blog has moved!
Old 08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartscharts View Post
I have no idea if this would be appropriate for your seven-year old, so you and your doc should decide, I'm not a doc...

....but for my kid (he's 11 now, but sailing with me since 4 or 5), after talking with his doc, we give him a little Dramamine.

The side affects can make him (or anyone) sleepy, but what we do is cut it in quarters by breaking a pill in half, then breaking it again. At that small dose, there does not seem to be any side effects that he can notice, but it takes the edge of the motion.

Much fun ensues...

As others have said, he's not choosing to feel sick and probably isn't faking it. Some folks are more susceptible than others. A tiny bit of the right over the counter solution (if it's appropriate for him) might turn on the fun.

-Charts
If all else fails, I might give it a try. Making him a little sleepy would probably be a good thing- he is a little high strung!
Old 08-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Casey good luck on your next attempt. Have him nibble a few cookies before you leave. Also, see ifyou can get a few sips of ginger ale into him before hand. If sea sickness hits, you want him to take small sips of cool- not cold ginger ale. Some little guys think it tastes too "spicy" and we've had success cutting it with water for those what feel that way. Let us know how he does!
I almost bought some when I got the cookies. The boy does not like carbonated drinks. I will pick up some- and offer it slightly warm as you recommend. I also need to pick-up some ginger tea.
Old 08-13-2011

24seven365 is on a distinguished road
leave them at home
Old 08-15-2011

The ginger cookies seemed to work, the boy did a few hour sail with no problem this last weekend. Even when we had to run the diesel, fumes did not seemed to cause trouble. Fed him the ginger cookies on land a few hours before leaving on boat, and also during the trip. Seemed to do the trick. Also gave him some unsalted soda crackers and guava juice during the sail- as he requested. The boy says he is ready for an overnight this weekend. The boy does not like ginger snaps, and the only other ginger cookies I could find were some made here in Hawaii (I will post company name when I take a look at the package again as they are actually pretty good) The cookies where more like a cracker but had a sprinkle of sugar which to the edge of the spice.
Thanks for the sugestions.
Old 08-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24seven365 View Post
leave them at home
You mean as in "Home Alone"?
Old 08-18-2011

Ginger Wafer Cookies

Above is link to ginger cookies my kids liked. Seemed to help their sea sickness.
Aloha