Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
My family (extended and marital) swear by Avomine. I've never really had to worry about it myself, but I've seen Avomine in use by people who get bad sea-sickness and it works a treat. You need to take it ~2 hours BEFORE the trip out though (or the night before).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2011
Gate Crasher

SoftJazz is on a distinguished road
I carry ginger on the boat with me. Everyone who experiences nausea asks for some. It appears to work well. My sister & her hubby both experience motion sickness & they both use it all the time.

Sunday we took my 17-year-old niece for her first sail ever. About halfway home she asked for some ginger & it worked.

You can use fresh (very hot), capsules, candied ginger or those ginger candies they now sell in boxes. Ginger is ginger & it appears to work on all kinds of motion sickness.
Old 09-14-2011

INMA is on a distinguished road
We preferred to sleep overnight at the jetty before sailing with the kids. The sleep on the yacht allows the inner ear and subconscious to relax and adjust to the movements.

Once a newbie has got use to the motion over a few cruises the seasickness tends to be less often.

I use to suffer terrible nausea when raising my hands up to reef the mainsail at the mast. The action combined with the boat motion set me off. Anyone can get seasick and its the experience people who are the worst when it hits them.

I make it clear to everyone aboard if someone gets sick, we will do everything to reduce their discomfort including heading home or to land as quickly as practical.

If someone shows signs of getting sick, we try and move them to a better part of the yacht for motion and change course to change the motion, it generally helps.

I never ignore the safety or entertainment of the crew, better to head back early than have a crew member in hospital with dehydration and all the worst stuff seasickness can cause.
Old 09-14-2011

nodders is on a distinguished road
a nova scotia cure

I grew up in Nova Scotia and was told that the best way to cure seasickness was to tie the insides of a clam to a string. Hold one end of the string in your hand and swallow the clam. Once it is nicely settled in your stomuch, all you have to do is pull it back up again! Never tried it myself, but I do try to recomend it as often as possible
Old 09-17-2011
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road
I also use ginger, I like the candied ginger crushed up in a mortal and pestal and then placed in the bottom of a stanley thermos and poor hot water over it... I sip on it all day long.

Never go below deck if seasick, never look at anything close to you, always keep your eyes on the horizon.
Old 09-17-2011

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
I went to a talk with Nigel Calder last night, very interesting, and one of the things he talked about was the little wrist-bands that give you a bit of an electric shock. Said that he'd tried it with 3 people who usually get sick, and that it worked for all three of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2011

JanetGroene is on a distinguished road
Have you heard of this oldie? Put Vicks Vapo-Rub in the navel. I understand that in France, where suppositories are used more widely than in the U.S. there is also one for mal de mer. Both these are for people who are already whoopsie. The true secret to seasick meds is to take at least 30 minutes before boarding. Once seasick, it's difficult to convince your stomach you are not.
Old 09-18-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
not to offend, but dont waterbeds seem a little 70's-ish? lol.

agreed with not going below... just tell them to find a fixed point on the horizon and look at it... also ive found that bitters and ginger ale seem to help:

Angostura bitters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oppps.... gotta go

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-19-2011
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
We recently took a three-day journey to bring my new (to me) boat back from Ohio. My best and oldest friend, as well as my oldest son were along, and they are both fairly prone to seasickness. Well actually, my friend is perfectly reliable to get sick. both of them used Scopolamine (sp?) patches behind the ear. Neither of them had a lick of seasick.

Seasickness is nasty for the victim, but a buzzkill for everyone else aboard. Thankfully (touches wood) I don't seem to be affected.
Old 09-19-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
I know an infallible remedy: Keep going. After three days non stop it will normally go away

Well, not practical except for long range cruisers but true. I remember to hear that a very well known yachtsman, with many crossings had that problem: Just three lousy days for some weeks of hapiness

My town is a fisherman town and I know some long range fishermen, the kind that go out for going fishing many thousand of miles away and for several months, that are prone to seasickness....for just about three days, on the worse cases.

I have read somewhere that it is just a case of brain reset to new conditions (integration of eye an hear information): Some can make it in minutes and don't have time to get sick, others take days and suffer.

Regards

Paulo