SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Cure For Seasickness? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/78492-cure-seasickness.html)

JulieMor 09-08-2011 10:14 AM

Cure For Seasickness?

I read an article many years ago by a father who was looking for a cure for the early season seasickness his kids experienced at the beginning of each sailing season. He and his wife didn't have that problem.

Then he wondered if the waterbed they slept in had anything to do with it. So at the end of the season he bought waterbeds for all the kids. When the next season came, none of the kids got sick.

I've had a waterbed for 40 years and the only time I've been seasick was one time when I was out too late, had too much to drink and went out early the next day in sloppy seas. :o

EGLLaw 09-08-2011 07:44 PM

Hmmm ... I'm skeptical, but who knows. I'm sticking with Bonine - it's a lt cheaper than new waterbeds.

PCP 09-08-2011 08:05 PM

Have you heard about the new anti seasickness glasses?

I am not kidding :D even if you kind a look funny with one of those.

But I have also heard several reports that say that the thing work. Well if they did not work at least you will provide some good laughs to the rest of the crew:D

Lunettes anti-mal de mer - YouTube

Sea sickness glasses - Marine Warehouse Ltd

Voiles et Voiliers : Equipement - Boarding Ring : Des lunettes anti-mal de mer

Regards

Paulo

JordanH 09-08-2011 09:53 PM

Jokingly, a fellow gave me the best seasick advice I've ever heard. When asked, he says, "Pine apple."
You say, "Really? Pine apple works??"
He says, "It doesn't prevent seasickness, it doesn't cure seasicknes..."
after a significant pause he completes, "... But it tastes the same coming up as it did going down."

Although funny, it is logical advice.

JulieMor 09-08-2011 10:46 PM

I have a full flotation waterbed. And when one person moves, everyone moves. Now I don't know if that dad's report and my experience have any scientific value but if you think about all the motion your body experiences in a full flotation waterbed, maybe there's something to it.

I have heard some people say the full flotation waterbed gets them seasick. Hmmmmm.... But what I do know is all the waterbed stores that used to be around here have long vanished. Maybe there wasn't enough of a profit margin as most of us hippie era kids built our own frames and just bought the $50 mattress. :cool:

Happy sloshing!

arknoah 09-08-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGLLaw (Post 771854)
Hmmm ... I'm skeptical, but who knows. I'm sticking with Bonine - it's a lt cheaper than new waterbeds.

I'm with you. Bonine works, it's inexpensive and doesn't make me drowsy.
But boy, if you chew it rather than take it like a regular pill, it tastes nasty!:p

centaursailor 09-09-2011 01:17 AM

Ginger, natural and tasty, best taken before leaving the dock.
The last instructor I sailed with swore by it.
Probably not as much fun as a waterbed tho.
Safe sailing

crewless 09-10-2011 10:13 AM

I've always heard that the best cure for seasickness is to stand under a tree.

JulieMor 09-10-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crewless (Post 772651)
I've always heard that the best cure for seasickness is to stand under a tree.

Not if you include over-imbibing with that. ;)

littlelizzy 09-12-2011 03:52 PM

I second ginger. Peel it and slice it wafer thin. store a bunch of it in a ziplock. small sliver between your cheek and gum occasionally crunch down on it and it settles your stomach quickly. tastes peppery though not what you would expect.