Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011

Jim M is on a distinguished road
THIS is a great topic! IS it feasable for 4 kids?

I am new to sailing but I have been in and around boats my whole life.

Being the oldest in the family (first with younger kids in teh family) I have never really seen many people with smaller kids on boats. (fishing boats yes but not sail)

I am looking to get into sailing, (as I have always wanted to) I have been looking at the 31-41 ft range. (only because I have 4 kids)

I'd like to spend summer vacations out on the boat. 3-4 days, maybe a week trip.

I have a 14, 12, 6, 4 yr old.

Is this feasable? Has anyone had success with younger kids on longer sail trips?

Do you have any wisdom to share?lol

I am a nervious parent as it is and very saftey cautious, so sometimes I think I am asking for trouble putting them on a boat. But I really want to share that experiance with my kids if possible.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Sure it can be done. The 4 and 6 year old definitely need a properly fitted pfd they will wear all the time. Probably the 12 year old too, and everyone else is a good idea.

If you are new to sailing, your biggest worry is going to be man overboard recovery. If you practice good safety, there is no reason that anyone should fall in, particularly from a boat that size. However, should they fall in, you want to be very practiced at getting back for them. It requires practice.

Go enjoy. Great gift to the kids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-27-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
Is this feasable? Has anyone had success with younger kids on longer sail trips?
There are plenty of families cruising full time, not just for a week or two. Entirely possible. The Discovery Channel followed a family with two teens who grew up on their boat sailing around the world. The oldest ended up with a golf scholarship to college.

I asked a family I met once (sold their house and sailed the Pacific, now in New Zealand) how on earth you end up playing enough golf to get a scholarship and was told that lots of families sail in a flotilla so that the kids can socialize and there are golf courses along the Southern CA, Mexico coasts that cater to boaters.

Who knew?

I listen to the podcasts of this family from the UK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 10-27-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
But I really want to share that experiance with my kids if possible.
You might want to consider chartering a few times with the family, first. I've said this on here before but when we bought our larger boat I was excited that there would be room for my teenaged niece and nephew. Turned out their schedules didn't include Aunt Donna and her boat.

As each one reached age 18, my dock neighbor's kids one by one refused to step foot on the boat again and he had bought a brand new 36 footer just for that purpose. Now he's working on the grand kids.

Don't be disappointed if the older kids aren't as into being "stuck" on a boat away from their friends and social/sports activities.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-12-2012

Powerdude is on a distinguished road
Well, my kids are much younger than yours, 2 at 5.5 years old and 2 at 2.5 years old (yes, two sets of twins).

I'm thinking of just getting a small trailerable like a Catalina 22 or 25 on a local lake to just learn to sail, then as they grow, I'll worry about getting a bigger boat, depending on if they like sailing or not.

I'd say, don't break the bank first just to try to fit everybody on board....kids are not cheap even without a boat.
Old 02-12-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdude View Post
Well, my kids are much younger than yours, 2 at 5.5 years old and 2 at 2.5 years old (yes, two sets of twins).

...kids are not cheap even without a boat.
But you apparently fell prey to a BOGO sale... twice.

Old 02-12-2012

Powerdude is on a distinguished road
Yes, well, that is very true, in every sense of what you said.

We are thankful for them.
Old 02-12-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Being new to U S Federal Waters,I did not realize the law requires children under the age of 13 must wear PFD while underway......Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Being new to U S Federal Waters,I did not realize the law requires children under the age of 13 must wear PFD while underway......Dale
Those rules are state by state and vary slightly. 13 is the typical range. Any age on a jet ski.

My marina requires them for kids below that age on the dock, although, I've never seen it enforced. Probably a liability thing.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-12-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
No; It is a federal law not state! I just found this out myself....Dale
Where God got it done!