SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Kids or cruising first? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/80203-kids-cruising-first.html)

ChristinaM 10-28-2011 09:00 AM

Kids or cruising first?

We're in our late 20s and definitely going cruising at some point for 2-3 years but the big question is when. A few differing strong opinions would definitely help with our choices. So, given the choice, which of these options would you choose and why?
  • Go cruising as a couple, then have kids later and hope to pull together enough cash to go with kids later (might head over the Europe)
  • Have kids sooner, then wait til they're 5-10 years old to go cruising
  • Do a shorter cruise on a smaller boat as a couple, then have kids and have more hope of pulling off a second cruise later (definitely not making it to Europe)

DRFerron 10-28-2011 10:01 AM

Hi Christina,

We chose Option 4: not to have kids at all. :D

But anyone who answers can only say what worked best for them. Only you and your partner know your heart and your circumstances enough to know what will work best for you.

I will say, though, that there are plenty of cruising parents out there even with young children. Wanting to do one doesn't always have to rule out the other. If we wanted children, I would not hesitate to raise them on board. Here are two families that I follow:

Rock2Rock

Toast Floats

Good luck with the decision.

Faster 10-28-2011 10:30 AM

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, and I believe children that have grown up in the cruising environment gain in many ways over a conventional home/school upbringing as long as you're able to cover basic education needs..

Or do this in the preschool years...

bljones 10-28-2011 10:47 AM

Just go.

The rest will take care of itself.

CapnBilll 10-28-2011 10:51 AM

My first few years out of college were pretty much wasted careerwise anyway. Jobs in my chosen profession were scarce, and wanted older, experienced.

If I had it to do over again I would have spent those years cruising, and when I got back with a little more life experience, I would have still had plenty of time to build career.

Instead I spent the time flipping burgers, and getting into debt. :(

smackdaddy 10-28-2011 10:56 AM

Go cruising first. We waited 7 years after we were married to have kids - and had a blast.

And trust me, if you're fertile, kids will naturally sprout from hanging out with each other on a gently rocking boat in the tropics under the influence of booze.

jackdale 10-28-2011 11:18 AM

I met a couple in Turkey who had a three-year old and an eighteen- month old. They had been cruising for 5 years. It does not have to be either-or.

AdamLein 10-28-2011 11:30 AM

We are hoping it does not have to be either-or either. Trying to figure out how to cast off in about five years. I'm a bit older than you and I'm discovering that most things are easier when you're young.

Now that I have a kid and realize what I've been missing, I kinda wish I had started having kids earlier.

Now that I have a boat and realized what I've been missing, I kinda wish I had started sailing earlier, too.

If they are both in your dreams, go for both. Good crew is hard to come by; so is a good education. Seems like an obvious match to me.

smackdaddy 10-28-2011 11:32 AM

Check out the Fuzzles, my favorite BFS'n family, for some awe-inspiring tales of cruising...then kids:

bumfuzzle.com

http://www.bumfuzzle.com/Pictures_20...0Aug10%201.jpg

Swift Drift 10-28-2011 11:35 AM

Another vote for go now! If it's for you guys, you'll love it enough so that you'll find a way to do it with kids as well. I'm in a somewhat similar position. My mantra is the more you can establish as a lifestyle prior to kids, the better chance that lifestyle is a reality when you have kids. My parents did cool stuff with me (sailing being one of them) and I couldn't imagine not giving kids a similar experience.Seen too many people get bogged down in middle aged kid raising activities and ultimately postponed some huge dreams until retirement..... And it doesn't have to be that way!