SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Cruising w/ Kids: Don't leave 'em behind! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/83647-cruising-w-kids-dont-leave-em-behind.html)

kwaltersmi 02-08-2012 05:50 PM

Cruising w/ Kids: Don't leave 'em behind!

I just blogged about my tips for cruising and sailing with kids on our website. A lot of these are no brainers, but people are always looking for advice on cruising with kids, so here ya go:Sail Far Live Free: Cruising with Kids: Don't Leave the Dock Without Them!

PBzeer 02-08-2012 07:02 PM

Good post.

Powerdude 02-12-2012 09:01 AM

Thank you !

I have 2 sets of twins, and I'm thinking of getting a sailboat, at least initially to learn on a local lake.

jillmstar 02-14-2012 01:50 AM

Three years and counting down to sail...I hope my boy wants to go!

jpian0923 02-16-2012 03:03 AM

trying to get to ten posts. ignore me

tdw 02-16-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpian0923 (Post 832117)

Mate I do hope that after littering up the site with ten pieces of irrelevent fluff that you do have something worthwhile to contribute. :)

Im not trying to play 'dump on the newb' here but really dont you think you could have made ten useful comments/posts instead of that nonsense ?

jpian0923 02-16-2012 11:34 PM

Not trying to makes enemies...just trying to learn about sailing. My apologies. :)

I have PMs I can't reply to until I have 15 posts. I think I'm at 10 or 11 now.

NateKing 02-17-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpian0923:832117

This post made me laugh. As far as I'm concerned keep it up.

If this is really a big deal, maybe there should be a review board that looks at new peoples posts and evaluates them, and then if the post isn't good enough, they can make it not count. We wqnt quality not quantity.

I don't even have kids, I only read this thread because the title is genius. When I read it I envisioned somebody sitting little Johnny down and saying "Son, you're the man of the house now. I want you to take good care of your sister. Your mom & I want you to know that we love you both very much, but we are going cruising and I don't think we can take you with us.". & little little Johnny's like "but I'm 8" and the dad says "Don't argue with me son. Like I've always told you life's not easy". & Johnny says "but that's not fair" and the dad interrupts "Life's not fair. Now help us carry our bags out to the car."

And then two weeks later the mom reads this thread and is like "I told you we didn't have to leave them at home."

Reading back through this I realize that the Directors In Charge of Knowledge on Sailnet will most likely deem this post unworthy of counting, but that is ok with me.

n8kraft 02-17-2012 02:04 AM

Thanks for the info about the kid's harness. My wife and I have a new boat and a baby on the way. The boat gets here before the baby, but we've got our work ahead of us. Getting the boat is one way for us to spend more time together as a family, cruising. I see it as having fewer "real life" distractions so we can just have fun at our own place scoping out the world and all it has to offer us.

bljones 02-17-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateKing (Post 832573)
This post made me laugh. As far as I'm concerned keep it up.

If this is really a big deal, maybe there should be a review board that looks at new peoples posts and evaluates them, and then if the post isn't good enough, they can make it not count. We wqnt quality not quantity.

I don't even have kids, I only read this thread because the title is genius. When I read it I envisioned somebody sitting little Johnny down and saying "Son, you're the man of the house now. I want you to take good care of your sister. Your mom & I want you to know that we love you both very much, but we are going cruising and I don't think we can take you with us.". & little little Johnny's like "but I'm 8" and the dad says "Don't argue with me son. Like I've always told you life's not easy". & Johnny says "but that's not fair" and the dad interrupts "Life's not fair. Now help us carry our bags out to the car."

And then two weeks later the mom reads this thread and is like "I told you we didn't have to leave them at home."

Reading back through this I realize that the Directors In Charge of Knowledge on Sailnet will most likely deem this post unworthy of counting, but that is ok with me.

You know, I was right with you until the last line, where you sound like a true Dude In Cold Kansas.