SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   14-day bvi charter with children (ages 3 & 6) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/89484-14-day-bvi-charter-children-ages-3-6-a.html)

emily_cunningham2003 07-09-2012 12:41 AM

14-day bvi charter with children (ages 3 & 6)

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are getting ready for our first BVI charter out of Conch Charters in Road Town, Tortola. We will be there for 14 days, and will be sailing with our children (age 3 & 6). Do you have any suggestions or sample itineraries that we should consider? We are looking more for a leisurely, meandering pace for the children. I'd like to spend a few days at each of the top spots, so we have plenty of down time with the kiddos.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your recommendations!!

rhr1956 07-10-2012 04:28 PM

Re: 14-day bvi charter with children (ages 3 & 6)

When are you planning to go?

emily_cunningham2003 07-10-2012 04:50 PM

This week!!! :)

msmith10 07-10-2012 05:03 PM

If I were taking kids I'd spend a lot of time on Virgin Gorda because there are so many things to do there. You can lounge at the Bitter End, go to Spanish Town, sit on the beach, visit the Baths of course. The caves on Norman Island would be a must also.
Don't know if you've been there before, but lots of sunblock and keep the kids covered. The sun there is more intense than in the States, even Florida.
If they need a boat break, you can take them into Charlotte Amalie or Roadtown.

rhr1956 07-10-2012 05:04 PM

This is not exactly the ideal time to be going there....STORMS!

FarCry 07-11-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhr1956 (Post 894986)
This is not exactly the ideal time to be going there....STORMS!

It's looking pretty good outside my windows.:)

This is my favorite time of year to sail here. The crowds are gone, most places are still open and the water is really warm. Did I mention the crowds are gone?

Yes there is the possibility of severe weather which is why charter boats are at their lowest rates and airline tickets are very reasonable.

rhr1956 07-11-2012 11:35 AM

Hi there FarCry...I too, spent time in the BVI's this time of year...and it was wonderful. We spent a week from July 3rd to 10th and only saw one overnight storm. However, I would not take small kids this time of year. But hey...they'll probably end of having a perfectly great vacation which is what it's all about. Good luck to all.

Hudsonian 07-12-2012 02:00 PM

Get them snorkel gear that fits and polypropelene long underwear that they can wear in the water to protect them from the sun and coral burns. Although we tramped around some it was primarily a water vacation. They loved the land hermit crabs on the Virgin Gorda.

Plan on a mid-day siesta to avoid the most intense sun and heat. Get up early and do something; take a three or four hour break; do something for a couple of hours and then call it quits. After all, they're little guys.

i_amcdn 07-24-2012 03:43 PM

If you are there for Aug 2 make sure that you do a full moon party at Trellis.

If you are not there then next time make sure your dates include the full moon party. Kids will love it.

Cruisingdad 07-24-2012 04:28 PM

Thought this might fit well in the children's forum. I will leave a re-direct too.

Brian