Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013

John33 is on a distinguished road
Re: Home schooling for Cruisers

We're not cruising yet, but we've been on the road for the past two years in an RV. We've got one school-age kid, and my wife has been teaching him using the Ambleside Online curriculum. It's gone pretty well. He doesn't always want to do his lessons, but it's becoming less of a problem. Now that he's started 2nd grade, we're putting more of the responsibility for his lessons on him (instead of us making him do them) and he's responding well to that so far.

We've also run into a number of traveling families that unschool. It's definitely very popular - no curriculum, no milestones, no pressure. I can't speak to the results though.

- John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2013
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO,
There is no school like home!
Old 09-06-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Did you homeschool your children, Brenda?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-09-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

The real lesson of my prior post was that society has put a huge burden on parents by implying that only professional teachers can do the job and that it can only be done one way. I've got nothing against teachers, my father was one. My daughter is one and she was home schooled except for one semester of high-school and her senior year of high-school.

It is a big scary responsibility. It is now the norm to pass it off to society. It is always the parents responsibility no matter what, but for homeschoolers it is more obvious.

As someone who is 10+ years past that stage based on seeing dozens of children being raised in radically different ways I'm pretty sure our schooling choices have much less impact on most children than we would typically expect.

In other words, chill, have fun and play it by ear.

If you have a kid like my daughter who was reading the complete works of Shakespeare the third time by age 11 and snickering in the corner over the randy parts you will have a different experience than with my son who could build anything out of Lego's and delighted in making rubber-band boobie traps all over the house and playing forts in the swamp next door. But didn't want to read until very late.

The biggest advantage I see for home schooling is the opportunity for the parent to tailor the day to the child. If the child is ahead in some skills either reading, math, welding, machine repair, carpentry or behind in some skills, traditional school can be very damaging.

It is very hard for a teacher to keep children from being either bored or lost and frustrated when they have so many to care for and limited time and state enforced tests to cram for.

Homeschooling while anything but easy can actually be easier in some circumstances with some children.

But like I said before it is definitely not for everyone.
bljones and christian.hess like this.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-09-2013 at 02:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to davidpm For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (10-22-2013)
Old 09-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

But david, the challenge for parents homeschooling without a net (ie without a homeschooling resource center or a network of fellow homeschooling parents) is that the pupil will have the same teacher for every subject, and thus be subject to the weaknesses, and strengths of that sole-source educator.
If you are not a strong speller and don't like to read, for example, what are the odds that you will emphasize that aspect of the curriculum, and by extension, what are the odds that your child will have an interest in literature and be able to structure a sentence coherently?

i disagree with your philosophy on the societal responsibility for educationEducation has been seen as a societal responsibility going back to the ancients. even in primitive tribes, children have always learned skills as part of the group. it is a relatively recent phenomenon, largely of the first world, to assume the parents can privately educate our children better than the group as a whole.

Where the public education system falls apart is the failure of the educator/parent link. If parents and educators don't work together, the school and the students fail.

i have had discussions with people who want to withdraw their children from the public system and homeschool their children because of some vague and unformed belief that the public school system is a failure. ias how many conferences they have had with their children's current teacher, how many PTA meetings they have attended, what volunteer work they do at the school, and the answers often range from "none' to "little.' I ask, if you are relatively uninvolved in your child's education now, how successful do you think you will be as their teacher in the future?

that tends to kill the conversation.

Our children were public schooled through elementary school, then homeschooled through their high school years, after giving high school a try.
Was it a success?
they both "graduated' earlier than their peers, getting their GED and going on to college 2 years ahead of their peers, and both are thriving in the college environment. They had support through a homeschool resource center, and they understood the importance of deadlines, and their performance was measured, and above average performance was rewarded.

Would we do it again? depends on the kids, and the kids needs. I believe that one has to have at least attempt structured school- some kids, in fact most kids, thrive.
rikhall likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Self educating your children:

If you want to do it you will read the "positive" posts and go away smiling.
If you do not want to do it you will read the "negative" posts and go away smiling.

Some learners seem to learn no matter where you put them and who "teaches" them.
Some learners don't seem to learn no matter where you put them and who "teaches" them.

If you do not have the skills you need (Literature, Science, Art, Music, Mathematics, Sociology etc.) then it might be best if you get some qualified help.

Me, I think an educator should be a trained professional, but many people home school with good results. And, if you are a world cruiser, with children on board, you might indeed finding yourself doing "Home Schooling", "Home Mechanical work", "Home Dentistry", "Home Surgery".

Good luck in your adventure.

Rik
Old 12-21-2013

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

K12 and Connections Academy are the two that we have used. Our oldest daughter, who is with us on the boat, is a graduate of K12.
Old 12-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

From all I have seen and read, the 'failure' or under achievement of home schooling is extremely low, miniscule. Can anyone say that for the us public school system?
Old 12-21-2013

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
From all I have seen and read, the 'failure' or under achievement of home schooling is extremely low, miniscule. Can anyone say that for the us public school system?
Probably because it is a structured curriculum and they "discharge" students who do not do the work. Both programs we have used require motivated students and parents.