Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Home schooling for Cruisers

We will be home schooling the kiddos this time around. I will try and give everyone our thoughts on what has worked, what has not, etc. Anyone can feel free to post thoughts or questions. Thought this might be a good thread for it.

Enroll in Local Schools

Our first option, which we are not going to do but have done before, is to enroll the kids in the area you will be in for a while. I will give you my opinions of it and what works, doesn't etc.

Positives: It gets the kids off the boat. THis is not just a "piece of mind" thing, but also healthy for the kids. Another positive is it allows the kids to really meet lots of friends at their peer group. It is also free, if you enroll as a resident of that state. This typically requires signing a lease for a period of time with a marina, or something similar.

Negatives: Locks you down. Also, many of the projects that kids at home can do become a big issue on a boat (big posters, etc). Also is the issue of gettin them to school and back. Lastly, you have little to no control over the curriculum.

Calvert School

You can find the sight here: Tour of Calvert School

Positives: You take control of the curriculum and have a lot more flexibility on when you turn things in and how. You are not locked to any state. Seems like a solid program also and well thought out. You have various stages of school involvement, or you can run the thing by yourself and be a true home-schooler. You don't have to be connected to the internet.

Negatives: Cost for one. My 8 yo is $1200, while my 12 yo is $1500. ALso, this program requires a lot more hands-on by the parent. You will in some ways become a F/T teacher.

Florida Virtual School

Online High School | Online Middle School | Grades K-12 | Florida Virtual School

Positives: You have more control over the curriculum, but it still follows the SD guidelines you enroll with. It is free, if you are a resident. It is monitored and managed by teachers who are interested and available to help your child during the day. This system is almost like regular school but without them having to go into a classroom. I also like many of the teaching methods here, like how they creatively incorporated history into an online game that seems very forward thinking. Also, YOU, as the parent, choose when to start. It is almost year round school - very similar to a university format.

Negatives: You must have an internet connection daily. You must turn in all homework on Fridays (requiring internet). You must register locally with a school and register as a home schooler for that county.

K12 Online Schools

K12 | Online Public School, Online High School, Online Private School, Homeschooling, and Online Courses options

We are researching this one and will get back to report here.

Brian

PS I will try and edit any incorrect information here if I messed anything up. I also urge anyone else to feel free to post in this thread with relavant information.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 07-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
cmuz (08-30-2013)
Old 07-31-2012

elspru is on a distinguished road
Re: Home schooling for Cruisers

Hey, we're also planning on homeschooling our kids.
Have been doing lots of research in relation to it.
My spouse is an early-childhood-educator,
and I program artificial general intelligence.

You mentioned so far several "school-at-home" approaches,
such as correspondence schools and parent as teacher.

There is also "parent guided learning through non-textbook and life" style education,
such as woldorf, unit study, classical education and living books.
As well as "child-directed-learning" unschooling,
where the children's interests guide at least some of the material that is focused on.

We are likely going to do an ecclectic mixed approach "life learning with various degrees of structure".
Here is a good link with explanations about these various homeschool education styles:
Teaching Methods for homeschooling

Genius's are more likely to occur, if a child has many (mature) adult role models.
If they are surrounded by peers, that can stunt their learning, and behavioural development.
It's only in the last few hundred years where children have been institutionalized.
Living and learning near parents and seeing how the world really works,
is far more informative, for learning useful life skills.

When people, including children, see the usefulness in learning a skill,
they are much more likely to be interested, and integrate it for life.

Also another good thing to know about homeschooling is parenting-style.
Authoritative parenting is the best kind, for the most independent, happy and successful children.
The authoritative parenting style: A guide for the science-minded parent
Old 08-01-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

I home schooled three of my kids....much better than any public school. One is a critical care nurse, one an engineer and business owner and the last is still a work in progress! You will not regret home schooling!
elspru likes this.
Old 08-01-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

Okay so I don't really like to relate my personal life much on-line, but this issue strikes close to home.

I was home schooled all grades except kindergarten. We had a curriculum we followed though it was long before on-line schools/curriculum. Out of several siblings we are all pretty successful in life.

Now that I have kids I would never put my life and interests in front of their education. I would NEVER home school my kids and subject them to the struggles I went through trying to adjust to life as a member of society after leading a pretty sheltered and isolated life due to Homeschooling.
rikhall and bblument like this.
rikhall (09-09-2013)
Old 08-01-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

There are probably as many different kinds and methods of homeschooling as there are private schools....each persons experience is different. While some parents probably home school to shield their children from the world others do it to better expose them to the world. Mine were all very active in scouting, hobbies, church activities etc. if anything they had more socialization than kids who only are exposed to a peer group get.
It does not work for everyone....that's why it is good that we all have choices.
Ziaduck and elspru like this.
Old 08-01-2012
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Just want to chime in here and say that while I have very little to offer at the moment, I am watching this thread with interest, we are looking at some extended cruising down the track and home schooling is something we have talked a great deal about.

Largely because of the vastness/remoteness of Australia, Our local options here are very good, but once we leave Australian waters things will get harder, but our options also open up.
elspru likes this.

Old 08-05-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

I am saying this from a study, having gone ashore /off the boat for my sons last 2 years of school.

However ; I support the home [boat] schooling]. You should well find that the set work may only take 1.5-2 hours per day and that you can include so much practical applications - obviously maths, physics geography etc.

You will also find many other cruising kids and a vhf and later. when separated, an HF will allow the kids to stay in contact. [You flash types probably have satellite and/or email]

You will find the children grow rapidly into accepting responsibility and taking on tasks you thought only adults or older teens would take on.

The benefits of travelling and meeting people from all walks of life is a lifelong reward.
chall03, Cruisingdad, tdw and 1 others like this.

Old 08-05-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

If we were land based I'd be pretty much against home schooling. While there may be certain advantages the lack of connection with other kids is to my mind too big a downside to ignore.

That said, were we with sprogs and out cruising I'd have no compunction whatsoever about boat schooling during early years , say to around age 16. Reality is the life lessons to be learnt plus the inate sociability of the cruising community make boat schooling a very practical alternative, provided of course the youngsters have the right parents.

I guess though that I think StAnna has got it right and towards the end of their school years its probably for the best that young people are on land. There is a good chance they'll want to go to university or college or some kind and sending them off blind would not seem a terribly kind thing to do.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-10-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Thanks TDW, but its still a gamble whatever you do - they will turn out the way they are gunna! [and you cant rewind the clock and have another bash at it]

I have been both seriously bagged for taking off cruising as well as the opposite. Cant change the past - did what I thought was best.

Old 08-10-2012

elspru is on a distinguished road

IronSpinnaker you are an exception among homeschooled children,
since most homeschooling parents actively have their children participate in community events.

quo
John Taylor later found, using the Piers-Harris Children's Self-Concept Scale, "while half of the conventionally schooled children scored at or below the 50th percentile (in self-concept), only 10.3% of the home-schooling children did so."[26] He further stated that "the self-concept of home-schooling children is significantly higher (and very much so statistically) than that of children attending the conventional school. This has implications in the areas of academic achievement and socialization, to mention only two. These areas have been found to parallel self-concept. Regarding socialization, Taylor's results would mean that very few home-schooling children are socially deprived. He states that critics who speak out against homeschooling on the basis of social deprivation are actually addressing an area which favors homeschoolers.[26]

In 2003, the National Home Education Research Institute conducted a survey of 7,300 U.S. adults who had been homeschooled (5,000 for more than seven years). Their findings included:

Homeschool graduates are active and involved in their communities. 71% participate in an ongoing community service activity, like coaching a sports team, volunteering at a school, or working with a church or neighborhood association, compared with 37% of U.S. adults of similar ages from a traditional education background.

Homeschool graduates are more involved in civic affairs and vote in much higher percentages than their peers. 76% of those surveyed between the ages of 18 and 24 voted within the last five years, compared with only 29% of the corresponding U.S. populace. The numbers are even greater in older age groups, with voting levels not falling below 95%, compared with a high of 53% for the corresponding U.S. populace.

58.9% report that they are "very happy" with life, compared with 27.6% for the general U.S. population. 73.2% find life "exciting", compared with 47.3%.[27]
quo te bo Homeschooling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia from be ya.

so if you want what's best for your children, you shall at least allow them to be homeschooled, while also making sure they partake in various socializing events, like co-op homeschool events, library readings, church groups, sports and other socializing community events.
which in the long run are much better, as they can continue doing them as adults.
The Following User Says Thank You to elspru For This Useful Post:
Ziaduck (09-03-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.