Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing with our 3 year old

Hey! I have three young boys and sail on Lake Champlain as well!

Here is the secret, your dinghy is for time outs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013

Karenwallin is on a distinguished road

CONGRATS AND GOOD SAILING WITH YOUR NEW BOAT. SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE DOING THINGS THE RIGHT WAY BY TAKING BABY STEPS UNTIL EVERYONE IS COMFORTABLE WITH BEING ON THE BOAT. MY HUSBAND AND I HAD ALL FIVE OF OUR CHILDREN ON OUR ERIKSON FROM WHEN THEY WERE ONLY WEEKS OLD AND THEY ALL ENJOYED SAILING LIFE. NOW THAT THEY ARE ADULTS THEY ALL STILL ENJOY SAILING, TWO OF OUR SONS ARE NOW RACING IN ALL DIFFERENT CLASS SAILBOATS, IT IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO BE WITH YOUR FAMILY. hAVE FUN!
Old 04-11-2013

Karenwallin is on a distinguished road

Oh, meant to say we used a safety harness together with life vest on all the children until they were old enough to manuver around the boat without fear of falling overboard/
Old 08-15-2013

Location: surrounded by three small children and 2 dachshunds + foster doxies
windwalker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwallin View Post
Oh, meant to say we used a safety harness together with life vest on all the children until they were old enough to manuver around the boat without fear of falling overboard/
We have always used a jack line until our kids are pushing 4 (we have three kids). At that point, they will stay in the cockpit or obey and go down into the cabin if things get rough, or we are in a high traffic area.

Our now nearly 6 and our 8 year old are allowed up to the bow pulpit in calm sailing, or are allowed to choose their seats (often the raised stern pulpit seats).

The kids love the boat. We saw rehabbed dolphins released on our Monday sail to open water (we homeschool) - quite an experience for the kids.

Elizabeth
Old 08-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
We have always used a jack line until our kids are pushing 4 (we have three kids). At that point, they will stay in the cockpit or obey and go down into the cabin if things get rough, or we are in a high traffic area.

Our now nearly 6 and our 8 year old are allowed up to the bow pulpit in calm sailing, or are allowed to choose their seats (often the raised stern pulpit seats).

The kids love the boat. We saw rehabbed dolphins released on our Monday sail to open water (we homeschool) - quite an experience for the kids.

Elizabeth
Where are you based Elizabeth? We homeschool too. Always looking for other kid boats. We are currently in Marathon.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Where are you based Elizabeth? We homeschool too. Always looking for other kid boats. We are currently in Marathon.

Brian
Part time in San Diego, but most of the time in Atlanta.

I am going to start blogging more about my sailing experiences.

My husband surprised me by suggesting live aboard homeschooling. Yikes. Not my idea of a good time. (3 kids and 2 dachshunds)

E
Old 08-15-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
Part time in San Diego, but most of the time in Atlanta.

I am going to start blogging more about my sailing experiences.

My husband surprised me by suggesting live aboard homeschooling. Yikes. Not my idea of a good time. (3 kids and 2 dachshunds)

E
Boats in San Diego?

I can give you a lot of advice, but will start here: get in with the other live aboards, esp with kids. That will make it a lot more fun and enjoyable. There is comfort in camraderie and it really takes boat parents and boat kids to understand boat parents and boat kids.

Let me know if you need anything! I hope you come to love the life like we did. Look above at my abbreviated post: Life at sea. That is what you have to look forward to!

Brian, Christie, Chase and Glen

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-15-2013

Quote:
Boats in San Diego?

I can give you a lot of advice, but will start here: get in with the other live aboards, esp with kids. That will make it a lot more fun and enjoyable. There is comfort in camraderie and it really takes boat parents and boat kids to understand boat parents and boat kids.

Let me know if you need anything! I hope you come to love the life like we did. Look above at my abbreviated post: Life at sea. That is what you have to look forward to!

A) My husband knows absolutely nothing about sailing, as in, he's only taken recreational day sails a dozen times with my father and I over the entire course of his life. His head is in the clouds.

B) We run an international wiring harness business - it is not conducive to being run from a boat.

C) Maybe after he experiences the on the water classes, he will have more of an appreciation for the skills, knowledge, and maintenance required by sailboats.

Best,

Elizabeth
Old 08-15-2013

Quote:
Boats in San Diego?

Dad has a C&L Explorer, 36 foot, rigged for single handed sailing. My parents live on Coronado Island.

I sail on the sailing school's Hunter (maybe 28 foot?) and a Colgate (26, I think) back in Atlanta, when I can squeak in a lesson.

E
Old 11-24-2013

MauiPunter is on a distinguished road

Im in a similar situation. Our daughter is turning three and she is becoming more mobile. We are tethering her and have lifejacket on 24/7. Even when she is below. I have been considering the possibility of netting but I just cant stand the look of it. I feel like the tether and lifejacket is enough, but maybe I am wrong. If she is attached to the boat and has lifejacket on, what more can the netting provide? Is there any alternative to the netting.